Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

krashx7

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 5, 2012
My volume down button on my iphone 5 has stopped working. Just wondering, when I go in for a swap, Does my warranty start over when I get a new phone?

Also, this is like the 5th time Ive had to go back to the apple store in since I got this phone. If I was to call up and ask for some itunes credit or something to that extent what are my chances that they will give it to me?

VandyChem2009

macrumors 6502a
Oct 25, 2011
Houston, Texas
My volume down button on my iphone 5 has stopped working. Just wondering, when I go in for a swap, Does my warranty start over when I get a new phone?

Also, this is like the 5th time Ive had to go back to the apple store in since I got this phone. If I was to call up and ask for some itunes credit or something to that extent what are my chances that they will give it to me?

No, your warranty does not start over. Depends on who you talk to. Doubtful, but stranger things have happened.

FlatlinerG

Cancelled
Dec 21, 2011
Nope, it takes over the existing warranty or 90 days, whichever is greater.

A replacement part or Apple Product, including a user-installable part that has been installed in accordance with instructions provided by Apple, assumes the remaining term of the Warranty or ninety (90) days from the date of replacement or repair, whichever provides longer coverage for you.
taken directly from the 1-year limited warranty.

krashx7

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 5, 2012
Ah I see. Well this will be the 5th time Ive had to take an hour long drive to get a new phone from apple.. Im gonna call them up before I go and see about some credit to my account. I'll post back with the results.

VandyChem2009

macrumors 6502a
Oct 25, 2011
Houston, Texas
Ah I see. Well this will be the 5th time Ive had to take an hour long drive to get a new phone from apple.. Im gonna call them up before I go and see about some credit to my account. I'll post back with the results.

Don't want to sound like a jerk but Apple doesn't owe you anything I don't really get why you think you deserve credit to your account because you've driven an hour 5 times to fix your phone. Apple is gracious enough to also do AppleCare over the phone.

AAPLinc

macrumors 65816
Jul 27, 2012
Hollywood, CA
No, it wouldn't make sense. If the warranty started over everyone could easily take the phone in before the warranty expires and keep swapping it out to extend your warranty over and over.

Mrbobb

macrumors 603
Aug 27, 2012

5th time for the same problem or different problems?

You have to convince the manger it's not OCD on you part.

krashx7

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 5, 2012
5th time for the same problem or different problems?

You have to convince the manger it's not OCD on you part.

Yea different problems. The first one I got the volume up button would stick. Second phone the wifi would not work. Like at all, anywhere. The third one I got had a loose home button and the screen was loose in the corner. This is my fourth phone and the volume down button quit working all together. Maybe the 4th time is the charm.

To the other guy saying its not Apples job to make this up to me - Its called good customer service. When you have to repeatedly inconveince yourself to get the product you payed for replaced, They should not only fix the problem but do one up for you by giving you something free. Thats the way good customer service works. Apple is no exception.

VandyChem2009

macrumors 6502a
Oct 25, 2011
Houston, Texas
Yea different problems. The first one I got the volume up button would stick. Second phone the wifi would not work. Like at all, anywhere. The third one I got had a loose home button and the screen was loose in the corner. This is my fourth phone and the volume down button quit working all together. Maybe the 4th time is the charm.

To the other guy saying its not Apples job to make this up to me - Its called good customer service. When you have to repeatedly inconveince yourself to get the product you payed for replaced, They should not only fix the problem but do one up for you by giving you something free. Thats the way good customer service works. Apple is no exception.

What you think they should do and what they are supposed to do by their own warranty agreement are two different things. Apple realizes that not everyone lives near a store so they offer the ability to do these replacements over the phone. It shouldn't be an inconvinience to you to do it seeing as the phones a delivered overnight. Frankly they have great customer service, seeing as they haven't accused you of being the reason the volume button stops working. That's the way good customer service works, fixing an issue with no questions asked.

krashx7

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 5, 2012
What you think they should do and what they are supposed to do by their own warranty agreement are two different things. Apple realizes that not everyone lives near a store so they offer the ability to do these replacements over the phone. It shouldn't be an inconvinience to you to do it seeing as the phones a delivered overnight. Frankly they have great customer service, seeing as they haven't accused you of being the reason the volume button stops working. That's the way good customer service works, fixing an issue with no questions asked.

Im a little leary about doing a replacement through the mail. They take your credit card information and if anything happens to your phone in the mail like it gets lost(hey it happens) They charge you the full amount for the phone. Thats 850 bucks down the drain..

Think of it this way man, when you go to macdonalds or wherever and they mess up your order, do they not usually offer you a free pie or something? Same thing here. Apple should give me like 10 dollars credit in my itunes account or something. Ive gotten discounts on my phone bill, free microsoft points, a month free of different services.. you just gotta ask man. How much you wanna bet me they will give it to me?

And I can tell your just gonna defend apple to your last breath but its hardly ever 'no questions asked' either. I spent an hour on the phone with a tech support when my wifi went out only to go into the store to have the genius troubleshoot it himself for another 30 minutes. This was after I was told I would get a swap no questions asked.

Applejuiced

macrumors Westmere
Apr 16, 2008
At the iPhone hacks section.
Im a little leary about doing a replacement through the mail. They take your credit card information and if anything happens to your phone in the mail like it gets lost(hey it happens) They charge you the full amount for the phone. Thats 850 bucks down the drain..

I did it through the mail last week.
Filed a claim online.
I got the fedex box at home monday. Put the faulty iphone 5 in and dropped it off at a fed ex box.
Landed in California Tuesday morning, they inspected it and send a replacement out same day.
Had a new one wednesday morning before 10AM at my door.
Very easy. Even though I have an Apple store within 30 minutes this was way easier and hassle free IMO.

BTW, the prepaid shipping boxes and labels Apple sends you with fed-ex have insurance.
So even if it does get lost you're still getting a new iphone in return.
If it gets lost they dont even have to inspect it at applecare, they will automaticly send you another one:D

Last edited:

VandyChem2009

macrumors 6502a
Oct 25, 2011
Houston, Texas

Think of it this way man, when you go to macdonalds or wherever and they mess up your order, do they not usually offer you a free pie or something? Same thing here. Apple should give me like 10 dollars credit in my itunes account or something. Ive gotten discounts on my phone bill, free microsoft points, a month free of different services.. you just gotta ask man. How much you wanna bet me they will give it to me?

And I can tell your just gonna defend apple to your last breath but its hardly ever 'no questions asked' either. I spent an hour on the phone with a tech support when my wifi went out only to go into the store to have the genius troubleshoot it himself for another 30 minutes. This was after I was told I would get a swap no questions asked.

When you are dealing with a Wifi issue it is better to troubleshoot, don't you think? Wouldn't you want to be able to keep the phone you've already obviously inspected with a fine tooth comb over another phone you would need to recheck? I've always viewed good customer service as fixing the issue. If they offer me something extra that's great, but I'm not going to be asking for handouts.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.