Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

richard13

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 1, 2008
Odessa, FL
I've been going back and forth on which iPhone 5 model to get and I think I'm leaning toward getting the white one now. I was wondering what existing owners thought. Also, I plan on going caseless if the matters.

My top reasons to get the white model:
  1. I always liked the iPhone 4 silver colored band and like the one on the white model.
  2. I've never had a white phone before and think it might be time for a change.
  3. It seems that the black iPhone 5 gets scratched/nicked easily.
  4. The black model looks monochromatic and boring to me.

My top reasons for concern in getting the white model:
  1. Will it pick up dirt easier/more than the black model?
  2. I think I can see a faint outline of the LCD panel underneath the white glass. Will I get used to that?
  3. Does the white model look as good in daylight as it does in the Apple store?
  4. Is the white glass distracting when watching videos, etc.?

What do you guys think?

Thanks!

ideal.dreams

macrumors 68020
Jul 19, 2010
  2. I think I can see a faint outline of the LCD panel underneath the white glass. Will I get used to that?

1. Dirt? Are you using your iPhone in mud? I can't wrap my mind around why this is always a concern with the white iPhone. I've had 2 white iPhones (a 4S and now the 5) and there have never been any signs of dirt.

2. I don't see that in my device so I'm not sure what you're talking about.

3. Really? No lighting tricks are in play at the Apple store. The phone really does look that good.

4. It's white glass, not neon lights. I don't have a problem watching videos and I don't think you will either.

A reason NOT to get the black iPhone - the aluminum on the back scratches easily to reveal a silver like color, whereas on the white iPhone 5, the back is the same color, scratched or not.

DollaTwentyFive

macrumors 6502a
Nov 11, 2010
Parts Unknown
I had a white 4 and a white 4s. Here are my thoughts.

1) Never an issue with dirt. The surfaces of the iPhone clean up relatively easily.

2) Have never seen the outline you are referring to.

3) Both colors of the iPhone look great, IMHO.

4) Have a white iPad also and the white has never been distracting.

I decided to go with a black iPhone 5 because I really liked the all black look and the anodized band. Now I think I wish that I had stuck with the white. I haven't had any issues with the anodization, but I have some normal wear and tear on the band around the phone. If I had the white with silver band, it would probably not be noticeable. However, with the anodized band, you can see every nip, chip and scratch because the underlying silver aluminum shows through. Not a big deal, I expect wear and tear. Ceteris Paribus, I would probably go with a white iPhone if I were buying today.

Eric374

macrumors 6502
Sep 25, 2006
Wichita, Kansas
Always had black iPhones, a 4 and a 4S, and decided to get a white 5 this time and I'm glad I did. Love the colors, the white front isn't really noticeable at all while watching movies in bed with it, and the "change of scenery" with the new to me look is a welcome change. Since buying this phone I've decided that the next one will be white as well.

aerre

macrumors member
Apr 12, 2010
Never had a white before.
Got mine because it was the only one they had-
It's lovely
Go for it

siurpeeman

macrumors 603
Dec 2, 2006
the OC
coming from a white 4s, i thought i'd change it up by getting the black 5. i liked it at first, but seeing knicks on the chamfered edge of a friend's black iphone got me nervous. the black metal on the back also made fingerprints stand out. and so i returned the black model and picked up a white. i still don't think it looks as good as a black, but i think it looks better than most people think. i also think it looks better out in the wild than it does in store. overall i'm very happy. no regrets.

SunnyRenegade33

macrumors member
Nov 16, 2012
I don't stress too much for iPhone colors. I like black, though. It matches all of my other iDevices. But if there's one device that I absolutely must get in black, it's the iPad (which I have) - white iPads definitely detract from the cinematic experience - which is important since I'm always watching movies and videos on my iPad 4.

The choice is ultimately up to you. I think the black iPhone 4S looks a lot nicer than the white. Same for the 5, too. But that's just me.

nightlong

macrumors 6502a
Jun 16, 2012
Australia
Both iPads and iPhone are white. Haven't had any of the problems you mentioned and have been lucky this year, iPad4, iphone5, and Air all arrived perfect.

I think the black, phone or iPad, frames the screen and content too severely. Most of my friends have black. The white frame is almost invisible to me, when I'm focused on the screen. And looks cleaner, doesn't show fingerprints so much. They also match my car. Lol. Not exactly, my car is an amazing multi-layered sparkly white, and I wish they were that colour ... my only complaint about the Apple white, doesn't have pink and blue sparkles in sunlight.

serkan

macrumors 6502
May 14, 2012
Menlo Park,California
I ws in the same question till yesterday.My all friends have the black one and they re all covered with cases protective glass and more and more.And it is impossible to convince them to show me their phones naked because every friend of mine who has black Iphone is crazy about nicks on the phone.On the other hand it is also funny that when I say them why do you use Iphone 5 then when you dont see and when you dont show people the awesome desing they just get mad.And yesterday I had seen white and black together and the white one looks incredibly perfect and flawless and withut protection.but the ultra protected black one looked like the 4/4S :D And I saw couple more black which oof the phones top sides are rewally nicked and looked really bad :( Just go with the white I say.But in the end its all up to you.

richard13

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 1, 2008
Odessa, FL
1. Dirt? Are you using your iPhone in mud? I can't wrap my mind around why this is always a concern with the white iPhone. I've had 2 white iPhones (a 4S and now the 5) and there have never been any signs of dirt.

2. I don't see that in my device so I'm not sure what you're talking about.

3. Really? No lighting tricks are in play at the Apple store. The phone really does look that good.

4. It's white glass, not neon lights. I don't have a problem watching videos and I don't think you will either.

A reason NOT to get the black iPhone - the aluminum on the back scratches easily to reveal a silver like color, whereas on the white iPhone 5, the back is the same color, scratched or not.

1. LOL... No, I don't plan on using my iPhone in the mud. But it is a handheld device and can pick up dirt and oils from your fingers. That's what I was referring to.
  2. It may be the angle I was holding it at but when I was looking at the white iPhone in the store I thought I could see something just outside the display area, underneath the white glass. It looked like a shadow of what I believe is the LCD panel housing borders. This is only for the first 1/8" or so surrounding the display area.
  3. Yes, different lighting conditions and color temperatures will make an object look different. The white iPhone looks spectacular inside under the lighting conditions of the Apple Store but could look washed out or super bright in the daylight. But I'll take your word for it.

To you and everyone else thank you so much for your responses!

SuperCachetes

macrumors 65816
Nov 28, 2010
Away from you
I usually run caseless and predicted that the metal band would get nicked - so I went with the white one. I've already dropped it and it looks much better than I suspect the black one would after being marked up.

All that said, I really do think the black one is more attractive, but that's all personal preference. I remember opening the box for mine for the first time and thinking, "Holy cow, is this white phone blingy!" :)

Have had mine since they came out in the US, and have no problems with dirt or the other concerns you had.

Zaft

macrumors 601
Jun 16, 2009
Brooklyn, NY
I had a black iPhone 4S and got the white iphone 5. it is nice but I do notice it gets some black stuff from clothes where the white meets the aluminum in top.

jrasero

macrumors regular
Feb 26, 2011
NYC
I've been going back and forth on which iPhone 5 model to get and I think I'm leaning toward getting the white one now. I was wondering what existing owners thought. Also, I plan on going caseless if the matters.

My top reasons to get the white model:
  1. I always liked the iPhone 4 silver colored band and like the one on the white model.
  2. I've never had a white phone before and think it might be time for a change.
  3. It seems that the black iPhone 5 gets scratched/nicked easily.
  4. The black model looks monochromatic and boring to me.

What do you guys think?

Thanks!

I got the white since the black truly does show scuffs and scratches more

*Will it pick up dirt easier/more than the black model?
All of them pickup dirt but the White and grey shows dirt more, but all iPhones don't retain grease or dirt

*I think I can see a faint outline of the LCD panel underneath the white glass. Will I get used to that?
I never noticed lol I am OCD but not that OCD

*Does the white model look as good in daylight as it does in the Apple store?
Yes, but the black and slate just pops more.

*Is the white glass distracting when watching videos, etc.?
Yes and no. Yes because compared to the screen the white is such a huge contrast but no because all iPhone content is formatted to fit the screen as of now so most of the time your going to see black bars anyway which IMO is far more distracting

JAT

macrumors 603
Dec 31, 2001
Mpls, MN
[*]LOL... No, I don't plan on using my iPhone in the mud. But it is a handheld device and can pick up dirt and oils from your fingers. That's what I was referring to.
The phone's white area is under glass. It can't be affected like original Macbooks. But if you buy a rubberized white case to match, that could get nasty.
[*]It may be the angle I was holding it at but when I was looking at the white iPhone in the store I thought I could see something just outside the display area, underneath the white glass. It looked like a shadow of what I believe is the LCD panel housing borders. This is only for the first 1/8" or so surrounding the display area.
Don't see it being an issue, I think you'd get over it if true.
[*]Yes, different lighting conditions and color temperatures will make an object look different. The white iPhone looks spectacular inside under the lighting conditions of the Apple Store but could look washed out or super bright in the daylight. But I'll take your word for it.
[/LIST]
Doesn't seem to be a problem. Probably because the screen is so small. A black surround absolutely helps with contrast and color rendition on a TV screen. But any such effects, good or bad, are really minimized at 4".

Jalopybox

macrumors 6502a
Nov 13, 2012
Reason #6. I see hipster wannabes with popped collars and shiny white leather shoes with skinny jeans with the white iPhone and I don't want to be ridiculed or lumped in to this group.

HenryBishop

macrumors member
Nov 4, 2012
New York
Reason #6. I see hipster wannabes with popped collars and shiny white leather shoes with skinny jeans with the white iPhone and I don't want to be ridiculed or lumped in to this group.

You must live in the 'burbs with the guidos drinking red bull vodkas and bangin' around to Tiesto and Benny Bennasi.

See, I can make crap generalizations too. :D

itjw

macrumors 65816
Dec 20, 2011
I'm a white iPhone 5 Owner.

Mine's black though.

I did like the white a lot after seeing it in person. I'd never buy a phone solely based on what other people say shows damage more/less though... seems that a lot of owners are just buying the white because they bought into the hype of a few OCD internet forum folks, even though they've had their hearts set on black.

Still do like the white though. Apple did a nice job on both.

BeK

macrumors regular
Mar 2, 2012
Will it pick up dirt easier/more than the black model?
I see no reason why it should unless you are mud wrestling with your iphone in-hand.

I think I can see a faint outline of the LCD panel underneath the white glass. Will I get used to that?
I never noticed this outline that you are referring to.

Does the white model look as good in daylight as it does in the Apple store?
The white model not only looks better but it has higher resale value. I owned a (64 GB) 4S for 6 months before placing it on Amazon after the iPhone 5 was announced and it sold for $440, (I paid $399 for it originally) and it only took about 12 hours to sell. Needless to say, I got my (64 GB) iPhone 5 for free, figuratively speaking.

Is the white glass distracting when watching videos, etc.?
Not even in the least.

JAT

macrumors 603
Dec 31, 2001
Mpls, MN

So don't be. That's up to you, not your phone.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.