Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

pasadena

macrumors 6502a
Sep 12, 2012
Seattle, WA
I've had a black mini since Nov 2nd, with nothing but the smartcover. I'm mindful of where I put it when I put it down (I usually put it down on the covered side). However it's taken a few (short) trips in my purse, which is not the best place to be for that kind of things :p (and I'm being nice)

It's gotten out not very clean, but nothing a gentle swipe couldn't remove. No scratch. Now, my keys are not in the same pocket where it was, but still. Not a scratch.

Stop being over-worried about what-ifs and remember that any tablet or electronic devices is fragile and needs protection. Try not to clean them with a file either. It's just a matter of taking care of things normally.

From what I saw, a number of iPhones 5 had an abnormal problem. I don't think the mini has it.

Note : if problem there is -or lack of care- the white will have the same. It'll just be less obvious to the casual eye.

EMAN19

macrumors 6502
Sep 19, 2012
New York, NY
I saw 3 visible silver scratches when I unboxed my black iPad mini.

3 scratches, out of the box, really? They were very noticeable because the scratches shine. It's really upsetting. Doesn't Apple pride themselves quality? Anyway, I took it back and I'm waiting to buy the White and Silver one when they get in more stock.

Apple messed up with the black anodizing.

old john

macrumors member
Nov 18, 2005
England
Is the back of the latest full-size iPad similar?

Not having had a any iPad or iPhone, I'm not sure what they are like.

I'm now thinking of buying the latest full-size iPad. Does that have the same vulnerable anodized back surface?

reputationZed

macrumors 65816
I've had my black LTE mini for about a week now, no scratches or scuffs so far, only using a Smart Cover for protection. As a counterpoint my black iPhone 5 was perfect out of he box but began to wear on the beveled edges after a week or so. The wear on the iPhone is noticeable if your looking for it but I don't feel it jumps right out at you. Also no scratches or scuffs on the back of the iPhone.

darngooddesign

macrumors P6
Jul 4, 2007
Atlanta, GA
Not having had a any iPad or iPhone, I'm not sure what they are like.

I'm now thinking of buying the latest full-size iPad. Does that have the same vulnerable anodized back surface?

No. All the full size iPads have a silver anodized back, which hides scratches much better than the black one because the scratches are almost the same color as the back.

mattopotamus

macrumors G5
Jun 12, 2012
for me personally it is a non-issue. I use both a mini and an iphone "naked" and both are scratch and nick free....owning them both since launch dates.

old john

macrumors member
Nov 18, 2005
England
No. All the full size iPads have a silver anodized back, which hides scratches much better than the black one because the scratches are almost the same color as the back.

Thanks, that's good to know . . .though now I need to find another reason to choose between the black and white! Perhaps black around the screen is less distracting.

darngooddesign

macrumors P6
Jul 4, 2007
Atlanta, GA
Thanks, that's good to know . . .though now I need to find another reason to choose between the black and white! Perhaps black around the screen is less distracting.

In the end you will need to try them both in a store, but the nutshell answer is that a bezel that matches most of what you see on the screen is less distracting.

So if what you do has mostly dark screens like movies get the black bezel. If you do more web browsing and reading get the white bezel. The white bezel also hides fingerprints better.

Last edited:

klover

macrumors 6502a
Jun 7, 2009
3 iPad minis (16GB/Black) and all had chipped/scratched bezels out of the box. 4th is perfect.

Last edited:

FiremanMike

macrumors 6502
Jan 26, 2011
I bought a black ipad mini. I'm not really making any special effort to prevent it from getting scratches as I couldn't care less. With that said, I've not noticed a single scratch on mine, which was purchased on launch day.

EMAN19

macrumors 6502
Sep 19, 2012
New York, NY
I've had a black mini since Nov 2nd, with nothing but the smartcover. I'm mindful of where I put it when I put it down (I usually put it down on the covered side). However it's taken a few (short) trips in my purse, which is not the best place to be for that kind of things :p (and I'm being nice)

It's gotten out not very clean, but nothing a gentle swipe couldn't remove. No scratch. Now, my keys are not in the same pocket where it was, but still. Not a scratch.

Stop being over-worried about what-ifs and remember that any tablet or electronic devices is fragile and needs protection. Try not to clean them with a file either. It's just a matter of taking care of things normally.

From what I saw, a number of iPhones 5 had an abnormal problem. I don't think the mini has it.

Note : if problem there is -or lack of care- the white will have the same. It'll just be less obvious to the casual eye.

I'm very mindful of where I put my iPad mini too. In fact, I never place it on hard surfaces. Never. I know that if I do it will scuff and scratch. I only place my iPad on soft surfaces like my bed or sheets.

This thing is going to look brand new when I sell it to earn back some money for the iPad mini 2.

Trat

macrumors regular
Aug 31, 2010
I'm very mindful of where I put my iPad mini too. In fact, I never place it on hard surfaces. Never. I know that if I do it will scuff and scratch. I only place my iPad on soft surfaces like my bed or sheets.

This thing is going to look brand new when I sell it to earn back some money for the iPad mini 2.
The difference between one scratched and one mint will hardly be 30-50 bucks, not worth treating it like some kind of sandstone fossil. Enjoy your device, don't care about scratches etc.

old john

macrumors member
Nov 18, 2005
England
In the end you will need to try them both in a store, but the nutshell answer is that a bezel that matches most of what you see on the screen is less distracting.

So if what you do has mostly dark screens like movies get the black bezel. If you do more web browsing and reading get the white bezel. The white bezel also hides fingerprints better.

Difficult to say exactly how we'll use it not having had one before, though I expect it will mainly be browsing with a bit of emailing, iPhoto, and so on.

Useful tip about the fingerprints, though. Thanks again.

shortcut3d

macrumors 65816
Aug 24, 2011
I suggest reading the Anandtech review. Anand states the anodized coating seems durable and his test unit was free from scratches unlike the iPhone 5. FWIW, I believe Apple enforced tighter quality control standards at Foxconn following the iPhone scratch issues.

However, I still carry around a microfiber cloth to lay my black iPhone 5 and iPad mini. Once my Smart Cover arrives, I'll fold it over backwards, like I did for my iPad 1, 2 and 3. I'm glad the new Smart Cover removed the metal hinge. It really stained the backs.

darngooddesign

macrumors P6
Jul 4, 2007
Atlanta, GA
Difficult to say exactly how we'll use it not having had one before, though I expect it will mainly be browsing with a bit of emailing, iPhoto, and so on.

Useful tip about the fingerprints, though. Thanks again.

Well browsing and emailing is primarily on white backgrounds but honestly just get th color you fancy. The bezel disappears when you focus on the screen.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.