Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

PracticalMac

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Jan 22, 2009
Houston, TX
Bill Gates was right when he saw Google (not Apple) as a threat to MS hegemony, but for all the wrong reasons, becuase when he pronounced the threat the iPhone was not on the market just yet.

A large segment of the US population, and I guess it is a reflection of our capitalist world, look at the price of a product of service, not at the quality. The Android looks just as good as iPhone, but much cheaper, so it quickly rose to #1 smartphone OS.

The war for this highly lucrative and explosively growing segment between Apple and Google has laid waste to other cell phone makers, Noika and RIM (BlackBerry) as examples. Did you know that Microsoft was the leading "smartphone" maker in 2007? Don't hear much of that now do you?

Then came iPad.

Even though today the iPad is the leading tablet, the recent Droid selection is very high quality with some highly appealing features to certain customers.

What is critical to note is the astounding sums spend for iOS and Droid advertising, very likely more then MS gross income total, and certainly more then the 2012 POTUS campaign. MS is simply being drowned out.

So, who will likely buy the very late MS smartphone and tablets?
1. MS/Windows lovers
2. Apple haters
3. Cheapskates (mainly, even a $200 Fire too expensive).
(the others are too insignificant to list)

After years, decades, of the falling price of PC's, many have an expectation of really cheap computers, and poor performance (I did a custom built upper mid performance Win7 computer that costs $1500), and the opinion of MS is rather poor, and after Vista it only got worse. The now radical interface change in 8 will mostly make it worse, and the price they want is certain to make people run for the hills.

Bottom line, Android is the platform of choice for a majority of users. Not only can you get dirt cheap ($70 now), it has a huge eco system (Nook, Amazon, and Google of course), and for some its not Apple (nor MS).

Now you have Samsung heavily advertising a Google Chrome OS Ultrabook for the price of a Amazon Fire, $200.

What I expect to see is MS aligning closer to Apple, releasing iOS only products including MS Office to hold off Google deluge. This year has already seen a number of such actions by MS, expect it to increase.

Last edited:

Renzatic

Suspended
After years, decades, of the falling price of PC's, many have an expectation of really cheap computers, and poor performance (I did a custom built upper mid performance Win7 computer that costs $1500), and the opinion of MS is rather poor, and after Vista it only got worse.

Firstly $1500 for a custom built PC would get you a screaming performance, not just upper-mid. Not unless you spent a whole chunk of change on 3-4 SSDs

Secondly, people's opinion of MS isn't poor anywhere except on Apple sites.

MonkeySee....

macrumors 68040
Sep 24, 2010
UK
Bill Gates was right when he saw Google (not Apple) as a threat to MS hegemony, but for all the wrong reasons, becuase when he pronounced the threat the iPhone was not on the market just yet.

A large segment of the US population, and I guess it is a reflection of our capitalist world, look at the price of a product of service, not at the quality. The Android looks just as good as iPhone, but much cheaper, so it quickly rose to #1 smartphone OS.

Mostly free

The war for this highly lucrative and explosively growing segment between Apple and Google has laid waste to other cell phone makers, Noika and RIM (BlackBerry) as examples. Did you know that Microsoft was the leading "smartphone" maker in 2007? Don't hear much of that now do you?

Then came iPad.

Even though today the iPad is the leading tablet, the recent Droid selection is very high quality with some highly appealing features to certain customers.

Yeah, they're cheap.

What is critical to note is the astounding sums spend for iOS and Droid advertising, very likely more then MS gross income total, and certainly more then the 2012 POTUS campaign. MS is simply being drowned out.

So, who will likely buy the very late MS smartphone and tablets?
1. MS/Windows lovers
2. Apple haters
3. Cheapskates (mainly, even a $200 Fire too expensive).
(the others are too insignificant to list)

After years, decades, of the falling price of PC's, many have an expectation of really cheap computers, and poor performance (I did a custom built upper mid performance Win7 computer that costs $1500), and the opinion of MS is rather poor, and after Vista it only got worse. The now radical interface change in 8 will mostly make it worse, and the price they want is certain to make people run for the hills.

Bottom line, Android is the platform of choice for a majority of users. Not only can you get dirt cheap ($70 now), it has a huge eco system (Nook, Amazon, and Google of course), and for some its not Apple (nor MS).

because its cheap/free

Now you have Samsung heavily advertising a Google Chrome OS Ultrabook for the price of a Amazon Fire, $200.

What I expect to see is MS aligning closer to Apple, releasing iOS only products including MS Office to hold off Google deluge. This year has already seen a number of such actions by MS, expect it to increase.

meh. Not even sure why I replied to be honest. Sorry.

GoCubsGo

macrumors Nehalem
Feb 19, 2005
Firstly $1500 for a custom built PC would get you a screaming performance, not just upper-mid. Not unless you spent a whole chunk of change on 3-4 SSDs

This. I do not have anything against MS. As far as the OS goes, I prefer Mac now. If I were still a PC gamer I would prefer Windows hands down. There are a lot of benefits for me in owning a Mac. The up front cost is greater but I find myself living with my machines a hell of a lot longer now. With PCs, I was buying new CPUs and GPUs every year; again, I was heavily into gaming and photography.

MS is not doomed.

spykthomas

macrumors member
Nov 19, 2012
MS have just been slow on the uptake of selling an ecosystem. But they are getting there. The most powerful weapon in their arsenal at the moment is the Xbox 360, with the next one expected to be out Christmas next year.

I am watching the Windows phones with great interest to see how they mature over the next 2yrs, when I can upgrade again. At the moment, they are looking good and I expect great things over the next couple of years.

PracticalMac

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Jan 22, 2009
Houston, TX

Nope, mid upper.
i5 instead of i7
$250 Nvida card, instead of the $500 one.
8GB of RAM, on sale
128GB SSD, on sale. Not a 256, or even 512GB.

And the motherboard, well, about 1/2 that of top of line, yet still powerful (best or near best Z77)

Still much cheaper then Alienware.

As to MS opinion, why do many on MS sites blast Win8?
Hows about Fight sim community now that MS killed MS Flight sim, a gold standard?

Of course XBox is solid, give them that.

roadbloc

macrumors G3
Aug 24, 2009
UK
OP. Microsoft are not doomed. But thanks for your opinionated, misinformed, ad-hock 'reckon' none the less. :)

noisycats

macrumors 6502a
Jun 1, 2010
The 'ham. Alabama.

Just to be complete, let's add nearly all financial sites as well.

Last edited:

PracticalMac

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Jan 22, 2009
Houston, TX
This. I do not have anything against MS. As far as the OS goes, I prefer Mac now. If I were still a PC gamer I would prefer Windows hands down. There are a lot of benefits for me in owning a Mac. The up front cost is greater but I find myself living with my machines a hell of a lot longer now. With PCs, I was buying new CPUs and GPUs every year; again, I was heavily into gaming and photography.

MS is not doomed.

Obviously the title is sensationalist, but it can happen if MS/Ballmer does not change the company quickly.

Very likely you will see reduction in home OS products and more effort on cross platform applications, enterprise OS and XBox

----------

OP. Microsoft are not doomed. But thanks for your opinionated, misinformed, ad-hock 'reckon' none the less. :)

Guess you did not read the post.

Renzatic

Suspended
I wouldn't buy an Alienware if you paid me. :p

I dunno, man. It's been a bit since I've built a PC myself, but I remember pricing an i7 machine with a high end consumer graphics card, top of the line motherboard, nice case, a goodly amount of brand name ram, and a stout PSU for around $1400 or so.

It had an oldschool magnetic drive, which is probably the one biggest thing that drove down the price. Depending on when you got it, that 128GB SSD might've cost you $3-400 not even 2 years ago.

Cuz Windows 8 is MS' most divisive release since Windows 3.1. It's not so much that it's good or bad or not, it's that it's different. Computer geeks are a weirdly conservative bunch of people. They screamed about the introduction of the GUI, and are now screaming that we're all moving towards a touch based paradigm. The real opinion of Windows 8 will come 3-4 years from now, once Win9 is out and the fervor has settled down a bit.

VenusianSky

macrumors 65816
Aug 28, 2008
Obviously the title is sensationalist, but it can happen if MS/Ballmer does not change the company quickly.

Very likely you will see reduction in home OS products and more effort on cross platform applications, enterprise OS and XBox

----------

Why don't you perform more research on what the company does before posting nonsense? For example, can you name Microsoft's hosting platform that Apple are using to serve iCloud from? Or can you name Microsoft's progressive application platform built around the concept of Internet application services, which many Internet websites and applications are using today?

m00min

macrumors 6502
Jul 17, 2012
LOL Microsoft is not doomed. The Chromebook is in no way going to take over the non-cloud based laptop space.

MS's dominance isn't just about Windows, it's the Office suite that keeps people tied in too, you only have to look at the Surface RT to see that, they're giving Office away with it. Android will never get Office and Apple's Pages isn't even close. Microsoft will be fine.

PracticalMac

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Jan 22, 2009
Houston, TX
LOL Microsoft is not doomed. The Chromebook is in no way going to take over the non-cloud based laptop space.

MS's dominance isn't just about Windows, it's the Office suite that keeps people tied in too, you only have to look at the Surface RT to see that, they're giving Office away with it. Android will never get Office and Apple's Pages isn't even close. Microsoft will be fine.

Why don't you perform more research on what the company does before posting nonsense? For example, can you name Microsoft's hosting platform that Apple are using to serve iCloud from? Or can you name Microsoft's progressive application platform built around the concept of Internet application services, which many Internet websites and applications are using today?

Ahem
"Very likely you will see reduction in home OS products and more effort on cross platform applications, enterprise OS and XBox"

If you read it you would understand that is exactly what I said.

Renzatic

Suspended
Ahem
"Very likely you will see reduction in home OS products and more effort on cross platform applications, enterprise OS and XBox"

Everyone talks about this, but there is no proof its actually happening. You can look at Apple and everything they're doing now to see that they're going in the completely opposite direction of open, platform independent applications.

VenusianSky

macrumors 65816
Aug 28, 2008
Ahem

So how is Microsoft "DOOOooooooommmed"? Or was that just a sorry attempt to rally a bunch of Microsoft haters to your side?

960design

macrumors 68040
Apr 17, 2012
Destin, FL
... and Linux ( ubuntu, redhat, ect ) sites, Solaris OS... pretty much leaves only.... MS fans.... which makes sense.

MS fans like MS... sheesh. MacOS fans like MacOS... guess SolarisOS fans like chicken nuggets, but that's just a guess.

just filling in the gaps

m00min

macrumors 6502
Jul 17, 2012
Ahem

I did read your original post. That quote wasn't in it.

roadbloc

macrumors G3
Aug 24, 2009
UK

Trust me. I did. And its rather sweet how you think you know more about the tech industry than Bill Gates.

Don't worry, I'm not urinating on your bonfire. Continue your thread. I mean no harm and I am not here to argue. I'm just expressing my belief that you are totally wrong. Hence the words, 'misinformed' and 'opinionated'.

boss.king

macrumors 603
Apr 8, 2009
Nope, mid upper.
i5 instead of i7
$250 Nvida card, instead of the $500 one.
8GB of RAM, on sale
128GB SSD, on sale. Not a 256, or even 512GB.

And the motherboard, well, about 1/2 that of top of line, yet still powerful (best or near best Z77)

Still much cheaper then Alienware.

Hows about Fight sim community now that MS killed MS Flight sim, a gold standard?

Of course XBox is solid, give them that.

You must have bought one hell of an overpriced case to bring the cost of that up to 1500.

aarond12

macrumors 65816
May 20, 2002
Dallas, TX USA
You must have bought one hell of an overpriced case to bring the cost of that up to 1500.
Agreed. However, his post makes me believe he may not be in the United States.

The last PC I assembled was a Core i7, 4GB RAM, Gigabyte MB, BFG (!) 9800 GTX OC 512MB video card, 500GB hard drive, Coolermaster case/PS, Sony DVD burner... all for $700.

boss.king

macrumors 603
Apr 8, 2009
Agreed. However, his post makes me believe he may not be in the United States.

The last PC I assembled was a Core i7, 4GB RAM, Gigabyte MB, BFG (!) 9800 GTX OC 512MB video card, 500GB hard drive, Coolermaster case/PS, Sony DVD burner... all for $700.

Yeah, I'm not in the US either, in NZ a computer of the specs the OP posted would be about NZ$1600, but a 21" iMac starts at NZ$2000, so it's still be best price for performance option.

ixodes

macrumors 601
Jan 11, 2012
Pacific Coast, USA
No One Is Doomed

Microsoft
Google
Apple

Are but three high profile names in the tech industry. There is an ebb and flow to business over the long haul, that sees them succeed then struggle, and so on and so forth, it's the nature of business. At the present... no one is doomed.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.