Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > Alternatives to iOS and iOS Devices

Old Nov 30, 2012, 11:48 AM   #1
apb89
macrumors regular

Love Android... but

I switched from my iPhone 5 to Samsung Galaxy Nexus, and the truth is that I do love Android. The only problem is, you guessed it: battery life.

My Galaxy Nexus dies really quickly.. I am lucky to get like half a days worth of time out of it (~5-6 hours)

Maybe I am still just a newb at Android multitasking/app control/etc., that I need to learn to manage battery life better?

I also realize that this has probably been talked about into the ground, but if anyone has any tips/old posts they can link me to extend my battery life, it would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!
apb89 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 30, 2012, 11:57 AM   #2
mikegasol
Banned

Google is your friend

http://www.android.gs/improve-galaxy-nexus-battery-life/
mikegasol is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 30, 2012, 12:01 PM   #3
sc4rf4c3
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by apb89 View Post
I switched from my iPhone 5 to Samsung Galaxy Nexus, and the truth is that I do love Android. The only problem is, you guessed it: battery life.

My Galaxy Nexus dies really quickly.. I am lucky to get like half a days worth of time out of it (~5-6 hours)

Maybe I am still just a newb at Android multitasking/app control/etc., that I need to learn to manage battery life better?

I also realize that this has probably been talked about into the ground, but if anyone has any tips/old posts they can link me to extend my battery life, it would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!
Verizon sells a 2100mAh extended battery for $30.
Old Nov 30, 2012, 12:07 PM   #4
IFRIT
macrumors 6502a

You can tweak it and improve it a bit but the Galaxy Nexus has too small a battery for what it is. You're not signed into skype on your phone are you? It's often over looked but skype kills battery life if left logged in.
IFRIT is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 30, 2012, 12:10 PM   #5
Stropaganda
macrumors member

I have a Verizon G-Nex. I've had it since it's release a year ago. I have a couple questions: Did you know it was a year old phone or was the price just too good? Are you on Verizon? If I had to get another phone on Verizon, it would be between the Droid Razr Maxx HD, Droid DNA, or Galaxy Note 2.

Bad battery life and bad camera are the two cons of the Galaxy Nexus. Longer-than-they-should-be updates as well if you are on Verizon. No phone is perfect and these are it's flaws.

1. Get the 2100 mAh extended battery for about $35. Keep the original battery in your car or something in case of emergencies.
2. No live wallpapers.
3. Get an app called Tasker and have it turn off mobile data when connected to Wifi. Have it turn on auto-sync for 3 minutes every hour.
Stropaganda is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 30, 2012, 04:27 PM   #6
alancorp
macrumors newbie

Quote:

Why would you do this?? Unless to save a bunch of money. The Galaxy Nexus has one of the worse battery life even with extended battery (Especially LTE verion). You'll need to buy one of those large bulky 3100+ mAh batteries with new cover. Unless you don't use the phone much, you can install Franco kernel with undervolting and it will last you quite a while on standby. You won't get more than 3 hours of on screen time though sorry.

Trade it and get at least a Nexus 4 or GS3/Note 2 and Razr Maxx HD if you're on Verizon/Sprint. Better yet, get your iPhone 5 back.
alancorp is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 30, 2012, 06:03 PM   #7
Dave.UK
macrumors 6502a

Check out the app Juice Defender.
Has doubled my battery life.
Dave.UK is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 30, 2012, 06:50 PM   #8
tech4all
macrumors 68040

Quote:
Originally Posted by alancorp View Post
Why would you do this?? Unless to save a bunch of money. The Galaxy Nexus has one of the worse battery life even with extended battery (Especially LTE verion). You'll need to buy one of those large bulky 3100+ mAh batteries with new cover. Unless you don't use the phone much, you can install Franco kernel with undervolting and it will last you quite a while on standby. You won't get more than 3 hours of on screen time though sorry.

Trade it and get at least a Nexus 4 or GS3/Note 2 and Razr Maxx HD if you're on Verizon/Sprint. Better yet, get your iPhone 5 back.
More to a phone than battery life...

It's important, but not the only thing to consider.
Old Nov 30, 2012, 10:00 PM   #9
alancorp
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by tech4all View Post
More to a phone than battery life...

It's important, but not the only thing to consider.
Really? How useful is your phone when it's dead? Door stop?
alancorp is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 30, 2012, 10:17 PM   #10
ixodes
macrumors 601

Quote:
We have lots of ways to manage battery life. You may let yours go dead, we don't.

I have active phones on both iOS & Android platforms. Battery life is only one of many considerations when I chose a phone, or tablet, or laptop.
Old Nov 30, 2012, 10:37 PM   #11
blackhand1001
macrumors 68030

Quote:
Theres something wrong with his setup or phone. I have the lte galaxy nexus and make it through the day fine. In fact I for the most part have about 65%-75% remaining at the end of the day.
Moto X Dev Edition (VZW) Nexus 7
blackhand1001 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 30, 2012, 11:02 PM   #12
Jessica Lares
macrumors 603

Do yourself a favor and get ROM Toolbox. The free version is pretty good. Block all the ads. It'll really help in some of the battery life since most apps have them. I also like Norton Spot Ad Detector, here's pretty much the list of everything it detects:

I also like the two apps Onavo has, Count & Extend. Count will tell you which apps are using most of your data, and Extend will help you prevent those apps from doing so.
Old Dec 1, 2012, 03:34 AM   #13
alancorp
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackhand1001 View Post
Theres something wrong with his setup or phone. I have the lte galaxy nexus and make it through the day fine. In fact I for the most part have about 65%-75% remaining at the end of the day.
Like I said, if you don't use your phone much, the galaxy nexus can last you more than a day on idle. He didn't mention what he was doing during those 5-6 hours. If he's surfing the web for half the time, then yes it will be dead in 6 hours.

Go look at the battery benchmarks on anandtech and other sites, the LTE Galaxy Nexus is almost dead last in all the tests, probably just better than the crappy HTC Thunderbolt. Web browsing on LTE just lasted a pathetic 3.5 hours on the GNex. If that's enough for you, then more power to you.

And to the other poster above, yeah of course battery is not the only thing I look at, if it was I would just get a dumb phone that will last me over a week.

But, battery and reception should be the 2 top priorities because without it, your phone is pretty much useless.

Besides the Galaxy Nexus has crappy reception (samsung radios), crappy camera, crappy external speaker (volume+ anyone?), and of course crappy battery life. People are also experiencing crazy battery drain on 4.2 and that OMAP processor is starting to show it's age. So that's why I feel the OP shouldn't have gotten this phone at this point. /rant
alancorp is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 1, 2012, 08:20 AM   #14
SlCKB0Y
macrumors 68020

Quote:
The Galaxy Nexus has one of the worse battery life even with extended battery (Especially LTE verion).
Sorry but this is just not correct. There is absolutely nothing wrong with the battery life on the GSM Galaxy Nexus.... it's actually one of the longer lasting phones I've owned.
SlCKB0Y is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 1, 2012, 11:05 AM   #15
diegoesk
macrumors regular

Quote:

Send it back then get the razr maxx hd. Trust me you won't be disappointed!
diegoesk is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > Alternatives to iOS and iOS Devices