Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Uplift

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 1, 2011
UK
Fired up my new ipad, flipped on iTunes match. 5 seconds later:

This Device is Already Associated with an Apple ID.
If you use iTunes Match with your Apple ID, you cannot use iTunes Match, auto-download or download past purchases with a different Apple ID for 90 days.

With an option to Transfer or Cancel?

I don't understand it, does the error even make sense "if you use itunes match, you cannot use itunes match" ??

I haven't clicked Transfer as i want to be able to download my stuff right away, not in 90-days.

bogatyr

macrumors 65816
Mar 13, 2012
Sounds like your device is used and the previous owner used an iTunes account on it making it have a 90 day window for you to switch it. I would return it and ask for a new one.

r2shyyou

macrumors 68000
Oct 3, 2010
Paris, France

If you use iTunes Match with your Apple ID, you cannot use iTunes Match, auto-download or download past purchases with a different Apple ID for 90 days.

I don't understand it, does the error even make sense "if you use itunes match, you cannot use itunes match" ??

I haven't clicked Transfer as i want to be able to download my stuff right away, not in 90-days.

Was this "new" iPad new from Apple or from a third party? Either way, you can have a look here to see if that helps and also contact Apple (and/or the third party, as bogatyr suggested).

As for the statement about iTunes Match, it should be read as:

If you use iTunes Match with your Apple ID, you cannot use iTunes Match [...] with a different Apple ID for 90 days.

Uplift

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 1, 2011
UK
*******, i know whats happened.

When setting up the iPad you are asked to enter your iCloud details, which for me is @me.com ... this is NOT my iTunes ID that i use for purchases so i logged in to my purchases account for the store, but it doesn't like this cuz my ipad is associated with my other id.

******* you apple and your bad handling of IDs.

I'm phoning them tomorrow i want this sorting.

r2shyyou

macrumors 68000
Oct 3, 2010
Paris, France
*******, i know whats happened.

When setting up the iPad you are asked to enter your iCloud details, which for me is @me.com ... this is NOT my iTunes ID that i use for purchases so i logged in to my purchases account for the store, but it doesn't like this cuz my ipad is associated with my other id.

******* you apple and your bad handling of IDs.

I'm phoning them tomorrow i want this sorting.

Can you not just go to Settings > iTunes & App Stores > tap the Apple ID > tap on "Sign Out" > and then sign back in with the one you want to use to make purchases?

Uplift

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 1, 2011
UK
Can you not just go to Settings > iTunes & App Stores > tap the Apple ID > tap on "Sign Out" > and then sign back in with the one you want to use to make purchases?

Yes, but when i click on iTunes Match it shows the above error.

So basically, setting up my device with my iCloud ID, has blocked me from using my iTunes ID, which is absolutely retarded.

Reactions: dk001

r2shyyou

macrumors 68000
Oct 3, 2010
Paris, France
Yes, but when i click on iTunes Match it shows the above error.

So basically, setting up my device with my iCloud ID, has blocked me from using my iTunes ID, which is absolutely retarded.

I guess I can understand why they'd do this but hopefully they can help you sort it out when you contact them.

Yptcn

macrumors 68020
Aug 24, 2012
Paris
I've bought a pass for a TV serie on my iPad ,the first episodes downloaded fine from the iPad .
I have different iCloud and iTunes IDs also.
When I wanted to download a new episode , I got basically the same error message the OP had.
No problem syncing it through iTunes though.

Lsu crazy

macrumors newbie
Dec 5, 2012
I believe I understand what it is saying. Idk if you figured it out yet, but it means that the device was registered to a different account and the device can't be switched or transferred to a different account for 90 days. Their wording is very annoying.

----------

I hit transfer and everything is working as it should now that my iPhone and ipad are on the same iTunes account. I was about to be very aggravated.

r2shyyou

macrumors 68000
Oct 3, 2010
Paris, France
I believe I understand what it is saying. Idk if you figured it out yet, but it means that the device was registered to a different account and the device can't be switched or transferred to a different account for 90 days. Their wording is very annoying.

----------

I hit transfer and everything is working as it should now that my iPhone and ipad are on the same iTunes account. I was about to be very aggravated.

That's actually not what it means since we're not discussing devices alone but are instead discussing devices associated with iTunes Match.

To my knowledge, any Apple device can be "switched" or "transferred" to any account at any time.

youslippin

macrumors member
Sep 12, 2011
if anyone was still wondering about this, I contacted iTunes support and got this response:

----

Dear ****,

Welcome to iTunes Store Customer Support. My name is Alex and I am glad to help you today.

I understand that you are unable to access iTunes match using your iPad mini as it prompted to wait for 52 days. I am sure you are eager to get this resolved and I am happy to help you.

*****, we have released your old device from your Apple ID, you can now be able to associate your device and subscribe iTunes Match. Please try again.

If you are unable to access iTunes Match, Please reply to this email.

Thank you being an iTunes Store customer, *****. I hope this will resolve your issue. If you have any further questions, please feel free to contact us and we will be happy to assist you.

Have a great day!

Sincerely,

Alex
iTunes Store Customer Support
http://www.apple.com/support/itunes/ww/

Macman45

macrumors G5
Jul 29, 2011
Somewhere Back In The Long Ago
Sincei it's their own system that's at fault here, I'm glad you got sorted out. I've seen this happen too many times, particularly with newcomers to IOS. It really does need sorting out. I'm all for security, but surely a better method of checking can be implemented.

Del Piero

macrumors newbie
Jul 11, 2014
The Netherlands
Work-around

Yesterday my son visited me and brought his brand new ipod with him. I transferred his purchased music to my itunes library. After that I wanted to download a few of my in the cloud albums/songs, and I got the '90 days' error.

What did I do to work around this:
1. sign out my apple id
2. change (windows) computer name
3. reboot pc
4. start iTunes
5. sign in my apple id
6. authorize my 'new' computer
7. download in the cloud purchases (voilà!!)

Note: after step 7 I changed back the computer name to its previous name just to be sure I won't run into license issues (ms office, etc.).

Attachments

• change pc name.jpg
    change pc name.jpg
    36.9 KB · Views: 1,777
Last edited:

JMIAHONLINE

macrumors newbie
Aug 18, 2015
Im having the SAME issue... but not sure what caused it?!

If someone else has a user ID account on my MAC with their APPLE ID logged in, can that cause this same problem??

Will just deleting their user ID solve this in MY itunes and everything else on my mac where my APPLE ID is involved in my account??

Reactions: Noahsturgeon

Noahsturgeon

macrumors newbie
Feb 15, 2021

Mine is saying white 58 days I don’t know what to do

Noahsturgeon

macrumors newbie
Feb 15, 2021

I want to be able to download my Apple Music tracks right now
Not in 90 days
Doesn’t make sense

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.