Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Mac Community > Community Discussion

View Poll Results: What is your favorite guitar?
Martin 4 7.69%
Gibson acoustic 1 1.92%
Takamine 0 0%
Ovation 1 1.92%
Fender Telecaster or Stratocaster 13 25.00%
Gibson Les Paul or SG 16 30.77%
Gibson hollowbody electric 0 0%
Ibanez electric 2 3.85%
ESP, Jackson, or Schechter shredder guitar (or similar) 0 0%
Nylon string guitar 1 1.92%
Electric bass guitar 2 3.85%
Other, specify 12 23.08%
Voters: 52. You may not vote on this poll

Old Nov 30, 2012, 10:12 AM   #1
63dot
macrumors 601

Guitarists, what's your favorite guitar?

When I was first learning how to play, I only knew of three brands of acoustics on the market which were the overpriced and hard to find Martin, mid-level Gibson, and affordable Takamine. Today, there are so many great guitars available to the new player. What floats your boat?

(As for the "other" category it could be anything: ukelele, Fender Jaguar/Jazzmaster, Gretsch, 7/8/12 string guitar, Mosrite, Gibson Melody Maker, Epiphone Firebird, Schechter Corsair hollowbody, Yamaha Pacifica, Godin acoustic-electric, Breedlove, double necked guitar, Ibanez Artcore/Artstar, Silvertone, Danelectro, Charvel or Jackson Surfcaster, Paul Reed Smith, Rickenbacker, etc.) Also, put Epiphone LP/SG with Gibson and Squier strat/tele with Fender.

Over many years, I started with a Takamine D-18 style copy, moved onto Gibson and Ovation, and finally got that Martin. They were all really pretty much the same for the most part but the sound was only as good as how good or bad I was.

As for electrics, I have had all on the list but these days I use the affordable, but good Ibanez AS-73 hollowbody and mid-level ESP/LTD Viper 301 solidbody with aftermarket Bigsby tremolo of which both would be considered in the "other" category of guitars. My all time favorite guitar I have ever owned was an old, beat to heck Fender Telecaster. I currently don't have an acoustic, but if I did, I would sell one electric and get something like a Taylor Big Baby or Takamine solid spruce top cutaway steel string with EQ.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	espguitar.jpg
Views:	27
Size:	84.0 KB
ID:	380743   Click image for larger version

Name:	AS73TCR_Body.jpg
Views:	33
Size:	74.4 KB
ID:	380744  

Last edited by 63dot; Nov 30, 2012 at 02:38 PM.
63dot is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 30, 2012, 11:07 AM   #2
spykthomas
macrumors member

Les Paul all the way. The tone suits what I play best.

I love the shape of the Les Paul, but for some reason really don't like the SG... maybe I'm just weird.

In terms of pure shape, I love the Explorer.
Old Nov 30, 2012, 11:08 AM   #3
Huntn
macrumors 604

When I went to purchase my first guitar above starter level, I could not make up my mind if I wanted Fender or Gibson, so I went with PRS...happy with it.
Huntn is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 30, 2012, 11:34 AM   #4
63dot
macrumors 601

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huntn View Post
When I went to purchase my first guitar above starter level, I could not make up my mind if I wanted Fender or Gibson, so I went with PRS...happy with it.
When I first tried a PRS, I didn't like the squarish neck joint and it bothered me on higher note access. But where the Fender Stratocaster lacked sustain but had a great two horn body balance with strap, and the Les Paul suffered from muddy note separation at certain settings but had that legendary sustain, the PRS had that great two horn body balance that made a legend out of the Stratocaster AND the great sustain of the Les Paul by sporting two really good humbuckers which PRS upped in gain but somehow kept clearer in note separation.

In later years when I started focusing more on composition more than soloing, I didn't feel as much a need to shred on the higher frets as much so the PRS neck joint didn't bother me at all. If PRS made a neck joint with more access and no sharp edges (see Aria Les Paul copy example), they may win over those who don't like the current square neck joint. For many years a lot of makers tried to fuse the strengths of the Stratocaster and Les Paul into one guitar but with no success until PRS got it right. The PRS is one heck of a sexy guitar (and the girl it comes with ain't so bad, either http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R0lkaqQBjg0 ).
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	318695d1353879074-aria-pro-ii-cs-model-identifier-aria-back.jpg
Views:	35
Size:	88.9 KB
ID:	380716   Click image for larger version

Name:	Keha-Orianthi-On-American-Idol.gif
Views:	48
Size:	91.8 KB
ID:	380717  
Attached Images

Last edited by 63dot; Nov 30, 2012 at 12:11 PM.
63dot is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 30, 2012, 12:24 PM   #5
4JNA
macrumors 68000

Ovation all the way for acoustic. they don't have a super acoustic sound like a martin or whatever, but they are built like tanks. destroyed i don't even remember how many acoustic/electrics or the last 20 years worth of gigs, got an ovation, and have had the same guitar now for 8+ years. amazing!

have a strat, but mostly due to my SRV obsession. if i buy another, it would be a PRS for sure. amazing sound, build quality.
Old Nov 30, 2012, 12:30 PM   #6
63dot
macrumors 601

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4JNA View Post
if i buy another, it would be a PRS for sure. amazing sound, build quality.
Nice voicing for sure, with velvety soft frets, twin humbuckers, and a overall sleek build! OK, I gotta stop.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Orianthi.jpg
Views:	34
Size:	19.5 KB
ID:	380726  
Old Nov 30, 2012, 12:33 PM   #7
SlasherDuff
macrumors 6502a

I have been a fan of the Les Paul ever since I learned how to play. I love the tone, the sustain, and the instrument itself. Lots of my guitarist idols also used Les Pauls during their careers as well
Old Nov 30, 2012, 01:53 PM   #8
bradl
macrumors 68020

I'm on the fence here, as there are 4 guitars that are my go-to ones each and every time, with my choice at that time being feel.

My first is the used Jackson PC1 I picked up for $899. Seeing that it was 1/4th the MSRP, it was a steal. Phil was the first guitarist I ever saw play, and from there I was hooked.

Second, also used, is my Yngwie Malmsteen Signature Strat. Say what you want about scalloped frets, but they really do help with bends and vibrato, and is not hard at all to keep in tune. If you can't keep it in tune, you're pressing down on the fretboard too hard. Anyway, this is also my go-to guitar for rainy day music, when you feel like playing, but don't feel like playing anything heavy or shredding your arse off.

Third: my first real guitar: Ibanez RG560 Laser Blue. They have the 25th anniversary edition out, which looks exactly like the one I have that I picked up in 1991. The only difference between it and the original is that the pickup switch on the original is 3-way, while the 25th edition is 5-way. I may pick this one up just because!

finally, my ESP/LTD George Lynch M1 Tiger. After Phil Collen, my playing went harder, and I found the guy that influenced my playing the most. I couldn't afford any of his gear in the 90s, and though he started his own line, Mr. Scary Guitars alongside ESP, it was his first set that was the best, starting with the Tiger. I preferred the original over the Sunset.

As far as acoustics go, I'd say Ovations, followed by nylon-string guitars. You get a different sound and tone altogether from nylon-stringed guitars. They're a lot warmer and woodsy compared to the brass of nickel/steel strings. I've taken a liking to them thanks to Ottmar Liebert and Rodrigo y Gabriela. As a cloudy or rainy day changes one's mood, so goes the playing.

So for me, it's a tossup on how I feel and what feels best.

BL.

Thumb resize.
Thumb resize.
Thumb resize.
Thumb resize.
bradl is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 30, 2012, 06:03 PM   #9
Ariii
macrumors 6502a

Send a message via ICQ to Ariii Send a message via AIM to Ariii Send a message via MSN to Ariii Send a message via Yahoo to Ariii
My favorite acoustic guitar that I've used is a Squier. I own one and it's great for getting a nice, clean sound, nicer than a lot of more expensive guitars I've used. (I don't really use distortion at all)

Mine is a really nice-looking, red one with a rosewood fingerboard. I'll post pictures of it later. I kind of wish I bought it in blue, those look really nice .
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG-20121130-00372.jpg
Views:	29
Size:	582.7 KB
ID:	380777  

Last edited by Ariii; Nov 30, 2012 at 07:49 PM.
Ariii is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 1, 2012, 04:46 PM   #10
spoon man
macrumors 6502a

I have 3 guitars 1 about to be delivered next month.

PRS SE Standard 24
jackson js30rr
and in Jan I will have a Jackson DK2t Trans Black

My favorite guitar is the PRS I love the way it sounds and how easily I can play it.
Old Dec 2, 2012, 10:57 AM   #11
Tsuchiya
macrumors 65816

I suppose I'll always have a soft spot for a Gibson Les Paul. The design, the sound...oh man. I don't actually own one though, as a complete rookie I'm still plucking away on my Epiphone Les Paul Standard. I'd have to be A LOT better before I considered actually getting one.
Old Dec 2, 2012, 11:25 AM   #12
yg17
macrumors G5

Air
yg17 is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 4, 2012, 11:56 AM   #13
Stephen Dowling
macrumors regular

I've got a total of about 9 guitars, and that's including acoustic, electric, and bass guitars. I have to say that my favorite is my '79 Fender Telecaster Thinline. I love the semi-hollow body, although you've gotta watch out for feedback because of it.
Old Dec 4, 2012, 12:06 PM   #14
jf1450
macrumors member

Gibson Les Paul Double Cut
jf1450 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 4, 2012, 12:08 PM   #15
Mr. McMac
macrumors 68020

Being a bassist, I prefer Fender basses these days, mostly the Jazz. Back in the 70's my main bass was a 1973 Rickenbacker 4001. A great bass, but very limited sound wise
Old Dec 4, 2012, 12:19 PM   #16
GoCubsGo
macrumors Nehalem

How does Taylor not even make the list?

I long for this:
http://www.taylorguitars.com/guitars/acoustic/710ce

or this:
http://www2.gibson.com/Products/Acou...e-Vintage.aspx
But in vintage sunburst.

I've played the SJ200, never touched the 710ce.
Old Dec 4, 2012, 12:26 PM   #17
63dot
macrumors 601

Quote:
Originally Posted by jessica. View Post
How does Taylor not even make the list?

I long for this:
http://www.taylorguitars.com/guitars/acoustic/710ce

or this:
http://www2.gibson.com/Products/Acou...e-Vintage.aspx
But in vintage sunburst.

I've played the SJ200, never touched the 710ce.
SJ-200 is amazing, as is also the SJ-100. Another great jumbo with that big tone is the great Martin J-40M.
Old Dec 4, 2012, 01:08 PM   #18
GoCubsGo
macrumors Nehalem

Quote:
Originally Posted by 63dot View Post
SJ-200 is amazing, as is also the SJ-100. Another great jumbo with that big tone is the great Martin J-40M.
The Martin is comparable to the SJ-200? I'll have to check that out. I really like the idea of having an Indian Rosewood guitar. I don't like a lot of jangle in my jingle if you get my drift. Rosewood is said to provide a nice deep tone. While I can tell a slight difference between that and say a spruce top, I admit it is not exactly blaring. I really love the Gibson vintage, it's probably the one I've lusted after for the longest. For now, I have an Ibanez a/e, which is not at all terrible.
Old Dec 4, 2012, 03:28 PM   #19
63dot
macrumors 601

Quote:
Originally Posted by jessica. View Post
The Martin is comparable to the SJ-200? I'll have to check that out. I really like the idea of having an Indian Rosewood guitar. I don't like a lot of jangle in my jingle if you get my drift. Rosewood is said to provide a nice deep tone. While I can tell a slight difference between that and say a spruce top, I admit it is not exactly blaring. I really love the Gibson vintage, it's probably the one I've lusted after for the longest. For now, I have an Ibanez a/e, which is not at all terrible.
For just playing around the house, I love any guitar with a mahogany top, back and sides. The tone is so warm. I had an old Martin 00-17 parlor guitar I loved. If you have a spruce top, as on a 00-18, then that adds some high end clarity found from the spruce. When added with a rosewood back and sides on yet a higher end model, then there's more projection so it's great for small venues to carry the tone further into an audience. But if you like a nice treble to cut through then maple back and sides is also great, even a maple top, too.

Then you get bigger bodies like a dreadnaught which is perfect for increased volume and great balance on treble, mids, and low end which has proven most popular with mahogany sides and back being warmer and rosewood projecting more. On rosewood, some say Brazilian rosewood sounds better than Indian rosewood but I've noticed more difference in appearance than anything else.

And finally the really large bodied guitars with most pronounced low end like the J-40M and even more the SJ-100 and 200s just have so much sound. The high end doesn't cut through on lead guitar lines as on a smaller guitar like the 00/000/dreadaughts but for strumming and singing I can't think of a better instrument. I haven't actually tried the Epiphone J-200 but it has a very nice price. On a mid-priced level, some nice jumbos made by Lowden are pretty good. Takamine anniversary models are also really good in the sub-$2500 dollar range. Of course, on the ultra high end, beyond Gibson and Martin, are the SGCC dreadnaughts and jumbos.

http://www.mapleleafmusic.com/guitar.../vintage-jumbo

I still love the idea of affordable and good like the Epiphones, some of the more affordable Ibanezes, and the ESP/LTD acoustics.

http://www.guitarcenter.com/Epiphone...GP&cagpspn=pla

With some serious saving for my budget and for not being all that serious about steel string acoustics, I could still picture this:

http://www.sweetwater.com/store/deta...FSXZQgodgRQAJA

Anyway, I should have also put Taylor in the poll options. If I get an acoustic again, it would either be a Taylor Big Baby or similarly priced Takamine. I do like Ovation, too. It seems like the polls here put the common strat and tele head to head with the equally common Gibson/Epiphone Les Pauls and SGs. While I know that strat is probably the most versatile piece of wood and metal called an electric guitar and offers a value second to none, I do love the tele and then a Gibson hollowbody for feel as new amps with DSP technology can pretty much dial in strat like tones from any signal. Though I never have the money, a carbon fiber and balsa wood, sub five pound Parkey Fly seems to be the best of both words, acoustic and electric in sounds generated from just one instrument.

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/guita...Fal_QgodvykANw

Last edited by 63dot; Dec 6, 2012 at 04:47 PM.
Old Dec 12, 2012, 10:38 AM   #20
63dot
macrumors 601

Other poll options

After looking at reviews and blogs about guitars, I apologize for leaving Taylor out. With moderate price offerings like the Baby and Big Baby that I lust after, they probably have sales much bigger than I had originally thought.

Anyway, something like this may have captured the market more accurately:

Acoustics (steel string or nylon):

Martin
Gibson
Takamine
Ovation
Taylor
Yamaha
Guild
ukelele, or other

Electrics:

Fender/Squier Telecaster or Stratocaster
other Fender/Squier
Gibson/Epiphone Les Paul or SG
other Gibson/Epiphone
Gretsch
Rickenbacker
Danelectro
Yamaha
Ibanez
G & L
PRS
hollowbody or semi-hollowbody (any brand)
ESP, Jackson, Charvel, or Schechter (or other brand) shredder guitar
electric or acoustic bass guitar
other, specify

Last edited by 63dot; Dec 12, 2012 at 10:45 AM.
Old Dec 15, 2012, 08:57 AM   #21
mankar4
macrumors 6502a

I love my taylor 310ce
mankar4 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 4, 2013, 02:28 PM   #22
63dot
macrumors 601

This guitar, of course, doesn't exactly fit the criteria of a traditional electric guitar from what I have known for a long time, but I tried it out at a nearby store and found it endlessly fascinating. I have always loved Schechter but in many guitars used live or in recording, never pulled the trigger on that albeit great brand.

It has a sleek satin finished neck, amazing action for so much string tension and streets for about $400 dollars which is hard to beat. But like any other guitar, fancier pickups, electronics, and appointments lets such an instrument have higher models costing anywhere from a little bit more to a ton of money from both that brand and many other makers.

Also a bassier concept on acoustics has been done by Taylor, too tuning B to B on this example in below link:

http://www.zzounds.com/item--TAYBAR8GS
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	dga-f89f0989abe72adfc01c27f85ba0187f.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	31.9 KB
ID:	387993  

Last edited by 63dot; Jan 4, 2013 at 02:36 PM.
Old Jan 4, 2013, 02:42 PM   #23
Peace
macrumors P6

I'm surprised people haven't mentioned one of the best guitars around.

The Guild F-Hole.

Robert Hunter ( songwriter for Grateful Dead ) plays a nice Gibson F-Hole

Jerry Garcia's custom made Wolf sold for $700,000
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	hunter8302206.jpg
Views:	22
Size:	110.3 KB
ID:	387996  

Last edited by Peace; Jan 4, 2013 at 08:48 PM. Reason: Wrong Hunter photo
Peace is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 11, 2013, 10:27 AM   #24
63dot
macrumors 601

double post

Last edited by 63dot; Jan 23, 2013 at 04:47 AM.
Old Jan 15, 2013, 02:11 PM   #25
spoon man
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by 63dot View Post
This guitar, of course, doesn't exactly fit the criteria of a traditional electric guitar from what I have known for a long time, but I tried it out at a nearby store and found it endlessly fascinating. I have always loved Schechter but in many guitars used live or in recording, never pulled the trigger on that albeit great brand.

It has a sleek satin finished neck, amazing action for so much string tension and streets for about $400 dollars which is hard to beat. But like any other guitar, fancier pickups, electronics, and appointments lets such an instrument have higher models costing anywhere from a little bit more to a ton of money from both that brand and many other makers.

Also a bassier concept on acoustics has been done by Taylor, too tuning B to B on this example in below link:

http://www.zzounds.com/item--TAYBAR8GS

I do love the Schechter guitars the Hellraiser and Omen series are so nice.

I'm tempted to get a EPS Eclipse LOOK HERE

MacRumors Forums > Mac Community > Community Discussion