Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Just hours after Apple began taking orders for the new iMac, shipping estimates in the company's online store for the stock 27-inch models have slipped from the original 2-3 weeks to 3-4 weeks. Estimates for the stock 21.5-inch models remain at 1-3 days.

2012_imac_27_3_4_weeks.jpg
Supplies of the new iMac are expected to be constrained into 2013 as Apple's suppliers deal with the challenges of producing thinner displays laminated directly to the cover glass, with the larger 27-inch panels being particularly difficult to produce.

Article Link: Shipping Estimates for New 27-Inch iMac Already Slip to 3-4 Weeks

apfeljonas

macrumors regular
Nov 28, 2012
Germany
I can't help but look at the last year and think that Apple is in a decline... so sad.

Tim Cook is said to be an expert at managing the supply chain, so why is it that when I went into my local Apple store this morning there were no iMacs to be seen?

They should not have announced the new iMac until January when they will truly be available.

Apple is still exceptional at setting high expectations, generating buzz about the latest new gizmo, etc. The problem is they are consistently falling short when it comes time to deliver on the hype they created.

Fail.
Fail copy and paste.

extricated

macrumors 6502
Jul 14, 2011
Arkansas
I can't help but look at the last year and think that Apple is in a decline... so sad.

I agree with your further assessments, but I don't think Apple is in a decline.

I truly feel they are stumbling in the wake of leadership changes (to include the loss of Steve Jobs). They're also, perhaps, afraid to break the mold of releasing products on a particular schedule.

Of course, I have no basis to know these things, but I would hope Apple is learning from it's recent "issues" and will make the neccessary adjustments in the future.

wlossw

macrumors 65816
May 9, 2012
Montreal, Quebec, Canada
I think that the "production delays" are part of the marketing strategy.

By creating a perception of scarcity they feed into irrational impulse driven demand.

Haven't you noticed how apple devices always "sell out"? They are produced in quantities designed to do so.

The iMac is no different. Hype drives sales. Perceived scarcity builds hype. Very simple.

It makes the people that rush out and blow 3 grand on a desktop computer feel superior for a few days/weeks/months.

I'll tell you when I ordered my rMBP the experience was all the more exciting because I had to wait to have it delivered, and was the only person I knew that had one.

Now you can walk into best-buy and buy one.... it's lost it's exclusivity ;)

thedeejay

macrumors 65816
Aug 16, 2012
Toronto, Canada.
I think that the "production delays" are part of the marketing strategy.

By creating a perception of scarcity they feed into irrational impulse driven demand.

Haven't you noticed how apple devices always "sell out"? They are produced in quantities designed to do so.

The iMac is no different. Hype drives sales. Perceived scarcity builds hype. Very simple.

It makes the people that rush out and blow 3 grand on a desktop computer feel superior for a few days/weeks/months.

I'll tell you when I ordered my rMBP the experience was all the more exciting because I had to wait to have it delivered, and was the only person I knew that had one.

Now you can walk into best-buy and buy one.... it's lost it's exclusivity ;)

I agree with you 100%. I've always thought that as well. But the thing is, because of their amazing Marketing tactics they're one of the top companies. Without their Marketing they'd just be another tech company. Well aside from their retail stores, customer service and superior quality products.

Davi-T

macrumors newbie
Mar 12, 2012
Wheeew

Bought at spec-ed out BTO 27" at 3am in the morning last night. I wouldn't be surprised if 3 - 4 weeks doubles later today.

THOPMedia

macrumors regular
Nov 11, 2012
Glad I got mine within 1/2 hour of release. 2-3 weeks for me. (However, I am also getting mine shipped from the US to NZ. so that will add a bit of time.

inlinevolvo

macrumors 6502
Jul 11, 2012
The production delays while may create a hype, have been overdone, if used as hype. I add a month to any timeline apple quotes as a product release, and that gives me time to shop around and maybe even decide to just pass.

Friend Trend

macrumors member
Aug 11, 2010
Ordered my 27" pimped out custom configuration at 12:54 EST.

Delivery date on the confirmation say 2 Jan - 7 Jan :(

Aluminum213

macrumors 68040
Mar 16, 2012
it was still 2-3 weeks as of 8am EST this morning when I bought it, I must have got lucky :D

wlossw

macrumors 65816
May 9, 2012
Montreal, Quebec, Canada
The production delays while may create a hype, have been overdone, if used as hype. I add a month to any timeline apple quotes as a product release, and that gives me time to shop around and maybe even decide to just pass.

And after you shop around and find nothing as good what do you do? I waited 6 months until the retina macbook was released... because I knew apple would release something that would blow my pants off... then stayed up all night to order it on release day... knowing I would have to wait... but not wanting to wait any longer than absolutely necessary... because at the end of the day, as long as apple makes the best (maybe not best value :D) products, they know you will buy one eventually if you can afford it.

The threat of scarcity is just to get you off the couch and onto the apple-store website, or into the apple-store. It turns people with money from browsers to buyers. :apple:

Allenbf

macrumors 6502
Jul 7, 2012
Elsewhere, USA
Some of you have no clue about how sales and marketing really work.

This isn't a $5 bag of slap bracelets. It's a $2,000 + machine. Scarcity does NOT create more demand, nor an "irrational need to buy." The simple facts are that Apple's demand outweighs it's supply on nearly every product, simply because of resources and a supply chain that can't keep up.

Every potential customer who walks into an Apple store looking to buy iWhatever and walks out empty handed is a potential lost sale. Apple isn't in business to lose out on sales. Common sense

Please take a few Economics/Sales/Marketing courses at your local community college.

inlinevolvo

macrumors 6502
Jul 11, 2012
And after you shop around and find nothing as good what do you do? I waited 6 months until the retina macbook was released... because I knew apple would release something that would blow my pants off... then stayed up all night to order it on release day... knowing I would have to wait... but not wanting to wait any longer than absolutely necessary... because at the end of the day, as long as apple makes the best (maybe not best value :D) products, they know you will buy one eventually if you can afford it.

The threat of scarcity is just to get you off the couch and onto the apple-store website, or into the apple-store. It turns people with money from browsers to buyers. :apple:

Agreed, though the only time I felt said threat was for the iPhone 5. I ordered it the second I got up for work. Really had to get rid of my HTC phone (yuck).

rvenners

macrumors newbie
Nov 24, 2009
Oh Boy

Somehow I get the impression that there is a Chinese man somewhere in China furiously mining for metal to build these iMacs while the ghost of Steve Jobs shouts at him to go faster. Apple does seem to be slipping a bit lately. But weren't they always? Perhaps the reality distortion field has just been weakened, so we're seeing more of the truth. Just ordered my new iMac and praying there isn't any horrible over-heating problems or whatnot.

QCassidy352

macrumors G5
Mar 20, 2003
Bay Area

This isn't a $5 bag of slap bracelets. It's a $2,000 + machine. Scarcity does NOT create more demand, nor an "irrational need to buy." The simple facts are that Apple's demand outweighs it's supply on nearly every product, simply because of resources and a supply chain that can't keep up.

Every potential customer who walks into an Apple store looking to buy iWhatever and walks out empty handed is a potential lost sale. Apple isn't in business to lose out on sales. Common sense

Please take a few Economics/Sales/Marketing courses at your local community college.

Not sure the condescension was necessary, but you are correct.

joesegh

macrumors 6502
Jun 17, 2009
I'm waiting until Anandtech and/or Ars Technica post their reviews, and I get a chance to play with it in-store. January 2013 it is!

wlossw

macrumors 65816
May 9, 2012
Montreal, Quebec, Canada

You're funny... sorry if I used the term "scarcity" :rolleyes: incorrectly... Nevertheless Speaking anecdotally, the discussion of shortage of <insert apple product> does create a whole lot of media coverage and excitement. Also known as free advertising... And Let's not forget that Apple products could probably be considered luxury goods...

Apple does build hype on purpose, they could pre-produce more products before launching, and ensure that all customers were serviced.

And I can speak from personal experience that I have impulse purchased several apple products in order to not have to wait longer as a result of comparison shopping, and returning to find limited stock sold out.

Maybe you're not a member of the target demographic?:eek:

Last edited:

theBB

macrumors 68020
Jan 3, 2006
You're funny... sorry if I used the term "scarcity" :rolleyes: incorrectly... Nevertheless Speaking anecdotally, the discussion of shortage of <insert apple product> does create a whole lot of media coverage and excitement. Also known as free advertising... And Let's not forget that Apple products could probably be considered luxury goods...
There are tons of companies announcing products six months in advance, without generating excitement. Maybe, the excitement is not due to artificial scarcity. Nevertheless, no need to bother yourself with rational arguments, please go on...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.