Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
Not open for further replies.

bradl

macrumors 603
Jun 16, 2008
Either you have honor or you don't? Sounds a lot like George W. Bush saying "Either you're with us, or against us".

If I were to give a second iPhone I received for free to a person too poor to afford an iPhone, would I match your personal definition of honor?

Depends. The question again, becomes, "how did you receive that iPhone?".

If you bought it or it was gifted to you, then you have no problem. If it was sent to you in error or other illegal means, then the honourable thing to do would be to try to return it to its owner or the person that made the mistake. If they have no problem with it, at least you've done the honourable thing first before passing it on to the next person.

BL.

S

syd430

Benjamin Franklin should have said "The only things certain in life are death, taxes, and a perpeptual stream of posters to a certain MacRumors thread that 'just don't get it'"

No matter how many times you say it, or how much hard evidence through sources you provide, there will be a constant number of posters that can't comprehend that what the OP is doing is:

1) Illegal
2) Wrong

Rather than having to constantly reply to this thread in to enternity, im just not going to post in this thread again regardless of what is said.

Good luck OP.

Last edited by a moderator:

VandyChem2009

macrumors 6502a
Oct 25, 2011
Houston, Texas
Either you have honor or you don't? Sounds a lot like George W. Bush saying "Either you're with us, or against us".

If I were to give a second iPhone I received for free to a person too poor to afford an iPhone, would I match your personal definition of honor?

No you would basically be giving them something they can't afford to use. If they can't afford to buy it what makes you think they can afford to pay the phone plan? The honorable thing is to contact Apple and let them decide what will be done with the phone.

BFizzzle

macrumors 68020
May 31, 2010
Austin TX

either you have honor or you dont?
Sounds a lot like George W. Bush saying "Either you're with us, or against us".
man im really sorry your parents didnt raise you right.

no giving the phone to someone in need (no one NEEDS a smartphone) wouldnt be okay. as plainly and simple (yet apparently incomprehensible to many) two wrongs do not make a right.

Raftysworld

macrumors 6502
Oct 28, 2011
If you go to a local grocery store, buy some groceries... you pay 20 dollars, should be getting 4.60 back in change. You get 4.65, but you don't notice until you are home. Now, you guys would all go back to the store to return the 5 cents? Because it's the honourable thing to do?

5 cents to a local grocery store in your town is what an iPhone is to Apple. If all of you would go back to the store and return that nickel, then okay. I suppose we'll just agree to disagree. I don't feel that I should be considered dishonourable if I don't. Because in the grand scheme of things, it doesn't matter. At all.

EDIT: BFizzzle, I reported your post because saying something like "man im really sorry your parents didnt raise you right. " is just not cool. Don't make this personal. Reasonable people can disagree about this issue and have a reasonable debate.

VandyChem2009

macrumors 6502a
Oct 25, 2011
Houston, Texas
either you have honor or you dont?

man im really sorry your parents didnt raise you right.

no giving the phone to someone in need (no one NEEDS a smartphone) wouldnt be okay. as plainly and simple (yet apparently incomprehensible to many) two wrongs do not make a right.

I really wish I could disagree with you so I we could have another pointless debate about something that doesn't really matter. However, in this case you are right. You seem to be getting a little impatient with these people, which is understandable.

----------

Haha arm chair warriors here.

If you go to a local grocery store, buy some groceries... you pay 20 dollars, should be getting 4.60 back in change. You get 4.65, but you don't notice until you are home. Now, you guys would all go back to the store to return the 5 cents? Because it's the honourable thing to do?

5 cents to a local grocery store in your town is what an iPhone is to Apple. If all of you would go back to the store and return that nickel, then okay. I suppose we'll just agree to disagree. I don't feel that I should be considered dishonourable if I don't. Because in the grand scheme of things, it doesn't matter. At all.

.....Seriously am not about to debate the diferences of a nickel and a phone with you. However, I would not go back to give them the nickel. I would however, let them have it the next time I went to buy some more groceries.

Raftysworld

macrumors 6502
Oct 28, 2011
.....Seriously am not about to debate the diferences of a nickel and a phone with you. However, I would not go back to give them the nickel. I would however, let them have it the next time I went to buy some more groceries.

Wait, so now you can put a price on honor? Is there a dollar amount at which it is okay to keep the item that was mistakenly given to you? I haven't heard you or anyone make that argument yet.

Would you say it's okay if the OP waits until he's due for an upgrade in two years to return the iPhone then? If you think it's okay to wait until the next time you go grocery shopping to return the money, this should be fine, right?

VandyChem2009

macrumors 6502a
Oct 25, 2011
Houston, Texas
Wait, so now you can put a price on honor? Is there a dollar amount at which it is okay to keep the item that was mistakenly given to you? I haven't heard you or anyone make that argument yet.

Would you say it's okay if the OP waits until he's due for an upgrade in two years to return the iPhone then? If you think it's okay to wait until the next time you go grocery shopping to return the money, this should be fine, right?

Alright if you're going to be an ass about things. Call the grocery store and ask them if they would like me to mail them the nickel. (They must reimburse the shipping)

Side note that is why you can't compare a nickel with a phone.

Raftysworld

macrumors 6502
Oct 28, 2011
Alright if you're going to be an ass about things. Call the grocery store and ask them if they would like me to mail them the nickel. (They must reimburse the shipping)

Side note that is why you can't compare a nickel with a phone.

Okay, cool. That's not what I'd do. I don't think it's what most people would do. But I respect that. And I assume you'd respect a person who never returned the nickel, right? You wouldn't immediately assume them to be dishonourable people.

Why can't you compare a nickel to a phone if the grocery store is proportionally as valuable? That nickel might mean more to a local grocery store than an iphone does to Apple. How are they incomparable?

VandyChem2009

macrumors 6502a
Oct 25, 2011
Houston, Texas
Okay, cool. That's not what I'd do. I don't think it's what most people would do. But I respect that. And I assume you'd respect a person who never returned the nickel, right? You wouldn't immediately assume them to be dishonourable people.

Why can't you compare a nickel to a phone if the grocery store is proportionally as valuable? That nickel might mean more to a local grocery store than an iphone does to Apple. How are they incomparable?

I frankly don't give a rats ass what you view as honorable or not. If something shouldn't be in your possesion and it is you should return it.

Raftysworld

macrumors 6502
Oct 28, 2011
I frankly don't give a rats ass what you view as honorable or not. If something shouldn't be in your possesion and it is you should return it.

I never said what I viewed as honourable. Not once. Other people did... I was specifically attacking the idea that we should be painting people as lacking honour just because they have a different opinion on this issue.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.