Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Mazda 3s

macrumors 6502a
Oct 29, 2006
For my iPad mini 16gb LTE. What's the better buy?

I'm going with Squaretrade for my mini. Using the 40% off coupon, I can get two years of coverage with no deductible for $89.

If I'm not mistaken, I think that Apple charges $100 plus a $50 deductible per incident.

Awakener

macrumors 6502
Mar 28, 2011
Applecare costs about $150 if something happens. That's almost 30% of total cost, and you will probably end up with a refurb.
How about save the money to put towards your next iPad.

radioking

macrumors regular
Nov 5, 2012
Out of warranty replacement for the Mini is $219. I would pass on the insurance, especially if you plan on upgrading when the Mini 2 comes out.

EMAN19

macrumors 6502
Sep 19, 2012
New York, NY
Out of warranty replacement for the Mini is $219. I would pass on the insurance, especially if you plan on upgrading when the Mini 2 comes out.

Ya, I thought of getting insurance but I'll be upgrading in a couple of months once the iPad mini 2 w/ retina display becomes available.

SquareTrade sounds like a hell of a deal though.

Medic311

macrumors 68000
Jul 30, 2011
purchase the ipad on an american express or mastercard (or select visa signature cards). they give you a 2nd year warranty for free.

i'm not sure how mastercard and visa handle it, but within 2-3 business days amex will apply a credit for the full price back onto your credit card for you to go buy a BRAND NEW replacement

HazyCloud

macrumors 68030
Jun 30, 2010
Worth Ave Group costs $25 for a 16 GB Wi-fi Mini per year. They do have a $50 deductible, but if you plan on selling it next year, $25 is well worth the protection. WAG covers drops, spills, theft and many other things. You can also walk into an Apple Store and purchase an OOW and they will send you a check so you can have your device replaced the same day. I use them when I plan on selling the device next year just in case something happens in that year.

ZipZap

macrumors 603
Dec 14, 2007
I'm going with Squaretrade for my mini. Using the 40% off coupon, I can get two years of coverage with no deductible for $89.

If I'm not mistaken, I think that Apple charges $100 plus a $50 deductible per incident.

Squaretrade has the same deductible and is a deminishing value policy. Use it up before 2 years and you have nothing.

Mazda 3s

macrumors 6502a
Oct 29, 2006
Squaretrade has the same deductible and is a deminishing value policy. Use it up before 2 years and you have nothing.

Uhh, says no deductible here:

i53a5u.jpg

Last edited:

Txjole

macrumors member
Feb 22, 2008
Worth Ave Group costs $25 for a 16 GB Wi-fi Mini per year. They do have a $50 deductible, but if you plan on selling it next year, $25 is well worth the protection. WAG covers drops, spills, theft and many other things. You can also walk into an Apple Store and purchase an OOW and they will send you a check so you can have your device replaced the same day. I use them when I plan on selling the device next year just in case something happens in that year.

I have Worth Ave on both mine as well.

ZipZap

macrumors 603
Dec 14, 2007
Uhh, says no deductible here:

Thats new. I stand corrected. That makes a difference.

$659 coverage limit.

If its true that the most you would pay for any repair is the oow cost, and ST lets you go to the apple store for repair then ST is the better buy over applecare because of the missing deductible as long as you dont exceed the limit in 2 years.

Last edited:

ZipZap

macrumors 603
Dec 14, 2007
I have Worth Ave on both mine as well.

How does worth handle damage replacements since repairs are covered by apple in year one?

Its $57 for a 64gb with 4g for 1 year.

Lets also say you left the unit behind by accident. Not really theft and not covered?
Cant lie either as you need a police report to collect.

Last edited:

Lamarak

macrumors 6502
Jun 8, 2010
If there is an Apple store in your area, apple care by far. Not only do you get the convenience of just walking in and either getting it fixed there or getting a new one, you also get phone support for those that arnt tech savvy.

It also adds to value of reselling the device if you choose that road.

It was very nice that after 13 months, I was able to walk in Apple store walk out with a new Ipad 2 when a white blotch on my screen got worse. No hassle, no waiting to mail it in and waiting to see if its worthy of being fixed as you would have to with squaretrade.

The cost is way worth it if plan on keeping it past a year, but only my opinion and ymmv.

natebookpro

macrumors 6502a
Sep 25, 2008
Maryland
purchase the ipad on an american express or mastercard (or select visa signature cards). they give you a 2nd year warranty for free.

i'm not sure how mastercard and visa handle it, but within 2-3 business days amex will apply a credit for the full price back onto your credit card for you to go buy a BRAND NEW replacement

I think we should be clear that the accidental coverage for AMEX (don't know about MasterCard) is only in the first 90 days. After that, you are just doubling the manufacturers warranty against defects.

Medic311

macrumors 68000
Jul 30, 2011
I think we should be clear that the accidental coverage for AMEX (don't know about MasterCard) is only in the first 90 days. After that, you are just doubling the manufacturers warranty against defects.

right, technically that is true. within the first 90 days you are covered against accidental loss or theft

however AMEX is known to have such excellent customer service that they will still replace your iPad in the 2nd year even if it was caused by an accident. example - i dropped my iPad and now the speaker doesn't work. i called up AMEX and told them exactly what happened they said not a problem and credited me the amount for a FULL replacement (not a brownbox from apple) within 3 business days.

davideotape

macrumors 6502a
Nov 16, 2012
Just chiming in to say Discover also offers that same 90 days whatever (including stolen) up to $500 and after that extended manufacturer warranty for an extra year. That's what I used to buy my mini, hope I never have to use it.

henchman

macrumors 6502a
Dec 28, 2004
Never doing square trade again.
With AppleCare, you take itin, it is fixed or dealt with on the spot.
Square trade requires mailing it in.

davideotape

macrumors 6502a
Nov 16, 2012
Never doing square trade again.
With AppleCare, you take itin, it is fixed or dealt with on the spot.
Square trade requires mailing it in.

It says on the front page you can take it to a Genius Bar if you want and they'll pay for it. No?

It sounds like the only benefit of either of these things is accident insurance. Discover will extend the basic AppleCare protection another year, and neither square trade nor Applecare plus covers theft, which is my main concern. Unlike the iPhone I don't think accidental damage is a big risk for the mini.

Also another thing I found out discover does: price protection within 90 days. That would've saved some mail/return Olympics last week when I picked up the Best Buy ipad deal.

The Catalyst

macrumors 6502
Dec 4, 2009
Does square trade have a 40% deal going on right now? The only coupons I've seen floating around are 35% off for Black Friday through January of next year.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.