Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

thekev

macrumors 604
Aug 5, 2010
I have to say, I was really surprised to see how much better the screen could be without a single change to the actual technology -- but hey, I guess plastic surgery can work wonders. Both screens have fantastic color reproduction, are remarkably (like, blindingly) bright, and have near-180-degree viewing angles.

The CNET editors are dumb. Implementation is a huge aspect of any display. It's not all just a panel in a box.

Most people griping about monkey arms or whatever are only doing so because Steve Jobs said something back in the day, and now they're regurgitating it nonstop in an attempt to look smart.

You know, he was right...when it comes to vertically standing monitors. But for screens you can slide right in front of you and tilt back? There's no reason not to have them touch enabled. They'll be as comfortable to use as an iPad.

You're right. It's only uncomfortable if you both maintain the current ergonomics and force touch as the primary interface. No one in their right mind would design something that way. People quote the turtlenecked one a bit too often and out of context on here.

nagromme

macrumors G5
May 2, 2002
"Touchcreen features” in an all-in-one are an outstanding idea!

If you want forearms like Popeye.

Popeye_2_reasonably_small.jpg

Renzatic

Suspended

Hold on. I'm gonna quote myself...

Me said:
Most people griping about monkey arms or whatever are only doing so because Steve Jobs said something back in the day, and now they're regurgitating it nonstop in an attempt to look smart.

You know, he was right...when it comes to vertically standing monitors. But for screens you can slide right in front of you and tilt back? There's no reason not to have them touch enabled. They'll be as comfortable to use as an iPad.

...it was like 4 posts back.

sketchygargoyle

macrumors newbie
Jul 30, 2012
I was about to buy a 27 inch, but noticed its over $100 in sales tax. I was under the impression buying online will void sales tax. There is also a gray-ed out option to pick up in store. Do you think when the 27 inches are available in stores, I will be able to purchase then, tick that box, and go pickup in store before some people that ordered today are even shipped their imacs?

Nunyabinez

macrumors 68000
Apr 27, 2010
Provo, UT

I'm kind of "of two minds" on this. I think that it would be nice to have an option to touch items. For example, the new iTunes begs to be touched. I could see reaching over to my display (even if it is upright) and selecting an album to play. I think as a primary interface, one would get tired, but lots of interactions could be very nice as a touch and not tiring.

On the other hand, I am a dirt nazi when it comes to my display. I even get a little frustrated with my iPad when it gets too greasy from fingerprints. I think I would have a seizure if my main display was constantly covered in fingerprints. But, time will tell. With the increasing "Back to the Mac" stuff I won't be surprised if Apple includes touch screens at some point.

dBeats

macrumors 6502a
Jun 21, 2011

That picture shows someone working on a drawing, so the screen is reclined in a way that mimics what he would do on a piece of paper. Now imagine working all day long answering emails like that. Hello tired.... The touch in Windows 8 on the desktop will be pretty novel at best. Personally I think voice integration is more important than touch integration on the desktop...

Truffy

macrumors 6502a
I'm afraid it can be right.
The price in US$ is tax-free, and Apple always had a thing for screwing non-Americans.
No, it's non_american governments that that have a thing for screwing their citizens with purchase tax. I'm not sure what sales tax is in the US, but here in Switzerland it's about 8%. In some EU countries it's anything up to 25%.

Don't get angry with Apple, they don't collect or benefit from the tax. Greece does.

Dr McKay

macrumors 68040
Aug 11, 2010
Kirkland
maybe it's just me, but it doesn't seem too ergonomic to have a touchscreen for a desktop. a tablet.. yes.. but desktop my arms would have to keep hovering in the air frequently to do tasks if i were to really forego the traditional keyboard/mouse

It's not you. It's common sense, and exactly why Apple has _not_ entertained the idea of a touch-screen computer. That said, as people use touch more on tablets and phones, the expectation to touch the screen on regular computers is growing. I've even found myself trying to interact with the screen on my laptop only to realize that I wasn't using my iPad. hahaha

Macs will eventually have a touch-screen monitor, simply to stay in line with consumer expectations, but the time is not right just yet.

There really is no point pointing this out, people will continue to ignore your post or simply not read it at all, they will spout the stuff Steve Jobs said about Touchscreens, had it before with Steve on "If it has a stylus, it failed"

Steves word is law, and everybody else is wrong.

Ignoring the fact that Apple has already patented a touchscreen iMac that folds like those you posted.

206811-adjustableimac_original.jpg

When Apple eventually does release a touchscreen iMac, all childish insults towards touchscreen PC's will vanish overnight as people scramble to buy 12 each, and PC's who have touchscreen will have copied Apple.

JAT

macrumors 603
Dec 31, 2001
Mpls, MN
I'm kind of "of two minds" on this. I think that it would be nice to have an option to touch items. For example, the new iTunes begs to be touched. I could see reaching over to my display (even if it is upright) and selecting an album to play. I think as a primary interface, one would get tired, but lots of interactions could be very nice as a touch and not tiring.

On the other hand, I am a dirt nazi when it comes to my display. I even get a little frustrated with my iPad when it gets too greasy from fingerprints. I think I would have a seizure if my main display was constantly covered in fingerprints. But, time will tell. With the increasing "Back to the Mac" stuff I won't be surprised if Apple includes touch screens at some point.

Ditto. I would love touchscreen as a tertiary interface. My screen is already dirty, from fingers and dust and whatever. Just clean it.

Schizoid

macrumors 65816
May 29, 2008
UK
I like that guy, he's already into Decembeard and he says "sizzem" which I think is like a system, but it sounds great! more sizzem!

JAT

macrumors 603
Dec 31, 2001
Mpls, MN
When Apple eventually does release a touchscreen iMac, all childish insults towards touchscreen PC's will vanish overnight as people scramble to buy 12 each, and PC's who have touchscreen will have copied Apple.
And then the lawsuits will begin.

AppleScruff1

macrumors G4
Feb 10, 2011
It's not you. It's common sense, and exactly why Apple has _not_ entertained the idea of a touch-screen computer. That said, as people use touch more on tablets and phones, the expectation to touch the screen on regular computers is growing. I've even found myself trying to interact with the screen on my laptop only to realize that I wasn't using my iPad. hahaha

Macs will eventually have a touch-screen monitor, simply to stay in line with consumer expectations, but the time is not right just yet.

Why will the time be right when Apple does it? Will Apple have a less awkward way to use touch on a desktop monitor?

sitsonthefence

macrumors member
Jul 23, 2012
London, UK
Steve Jobs got a lot of stuff right and for that I will be eternally grateful.

But he got stuff wrong too. No one is infallible, and while I really like the look of this iMac, the dell machine has a lot going for it.

Truffy

macrumors 6502a
That picture shows someone working on a drawing, so the screen is reclined in a way that mimics what he would do on a piece of paper. Now imagine working all day long answering emails like that. Hello tired.... The touch in Windows 8 on the desktop will be pretty novel at best. Personally I think voice integration is more important than touch integration on the desktop...
And why do you think that Renzatic is a macrumors 68030 yet joined after you? ;)

KurtangleTN

macrumors 6502a
Apr 2, 2007
The GPU on the high end 27" is pretty damn close to one. You'll easily be able to run just about any game at native resolution with all the settings bumped up about as high as they'll go.

Don't count on it, the top end games like BF3 is going to struggle at max on that 2560x1440 display. Even the MX.

The MX will be about 10-15% faster than the regular well benchmarked 680M in BF3 at 1080p you're looking at a 33FPS average, so if we're being generous and we see a 15% increase in FPS it's about 38FPS on 1080p. Pushing about 25% more pixels than 1080p you're looking at about 20-25FPS.

Turn down some settings and it might reach 60 but it's not going to be near max, I'd say medium at best, and I'm not too sure about the CPU as it's a fairly CPU taxing game.

I bet the MX options also going to cost a fortune, and here's the best part, in 1.5-2.0 years when games are pushing hardware forward you've got no upgrade avenue besides to turn down settings and down.

Not trying to be a dick but if you're even semi serious about gaming on a PC you might as well just build your own and get a cheaper iMac, by the time you pay for all the upgrades it's probably going to be a cheaper option than souping up an iMac that isn't going to be able to cut the mustard now and into the future.

no mention of the retarded location for the SD card slot.

Bu... bu... but it's thin!

TouchMint.com

macrumors 68000
May 25, 2012
Phoenix
Don't count on it, the top end games like BF3 is going to struggle at max on that 2560x1440 display. Even the MX.

The MX will be about 10-15% faster than the regular well benchmarked 680M in BF3 at 1080p you're looking at a 33FPS average, so if we're being generous and we see a 15% increase in FPS it's about 38FPS on 1080p. Pushing about 25% more pixels than 1080p you're looking at about 20-25FPS.

Turn down some settings and it might reach 60 but it's not going to be near max, I'd say medium to high, and I'm not too sure about the CPU as it's a fairly CPU taxing game.

I bet the MX options also going to cost a fortune, and here's the best part, in 1.5-2.0 years when games are pushing hardware forward you've got no upgrade avenue besides to turn down settings and down.

Not trying to be a dick but if you're even semi serious about gaming on a PC you might as well just build your own and get a cheaper iMac, by the time you pay for all the upgrades it's going to be worth it.

Bu... bu... but it's thin!

The MX680 is by far the cheapest upgrade on the machine. Seeing that they charge $600 for 24gb of ram. $150 for the upgrade isnt too much.

MacCurry

macrumors 6502a
Aug 28, 2006
Despite all of the negative comments about the iMac and how Windows 8 PCs will be great. Well they may be, but at what price? Comparable build quality and components for a similar 27" Win 8 touch screen PC will be in the $2300 price range. This isn't a phone or a tablet, its a device that I'll be using for productivity - and for that the base model 27" iMac rules at $1800.

Windows 8 is a turd plain and simple until MSFT fixes it with Windows 9.

mdriftmeyer

macrumors 68040
Feb 2, 2004
Pacific Northwest
Surely that price can't be right! The same system costs 2.649,00 euros ($3.444,79) in Germany... :eek:

Pretax: 8GB system, added Nvidia 680 1TB Fusion drive with 27" display lists as $2349 on the Apple US Store.

The Sales Tax Rate is 8.5%. Total: $2349 x (1.085) == $2548.665

I'm bettting they rounded up.

Then again, who tests an 8GB model? If you're going for this model bump it up to 32GB of RAM.

Apple is now pricing with the VAT and that varies with the country on top of the European Union taxes.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.