Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Allenbf

macrumors 6502
Jul 7, 2012
Elsewhere, USA
You're funny... sorry if I used the term "scarcity" :rolleyes: incorrectly... Nevertheless Speaking anecdotally, the discussion of shortage of <insert apple product> does create a whole lot of media coverage and excitement. Also known as free advertising... And Let's not forget that Apple products could probably be considered luxury goods...

Apple does build hype on purpose, they could pre-produce more products before launching, and ensure that all customers were serviced.

And I can speak from personal experience that I have impulse purchased several apple products in order to not have to wait longer as a result of comparison shopping, and returning to find limited stock sold out.

Maybe you're not a member of the target demographic?:eek:

No, I am. And see my above comment, I'm not trying to be condescending. Apple is GREAT at creating hype. But scarcity (in this discussion) isn't about hype, it's about a lack of product. They're doing all they can, but due to huge success, their demand far outweighs initial supply. It's just simple economics.

wlossw

macrumors 65816
May 9, 2012
Montreal, Quebec, Canada
No, I am. And see my above comment, I'm not trying to be condescending. Apple is GREAT at creating hype. But scarcity (in this discussion) isn't about hype, it's about a lack of product. They're doing all they can, but due to huge success, their demand far outweighs initial supply. It's just simple economics.

I guess demand and supply aren't balanced because Apple prices are too low... They should raise prices, and then, they wouldn't run into supply issues... and I wouldn't have to wait in line anymore. 5k iMacs here we come! :D

Jbach67

macrumors newbie
Jun 12, 2012
Ordered my 27" pimped out custom configuration at 12:54 EST.

Delivery date on the confirmation say 2 Jan - 7 Jan :(

Surprising, since it wasn't available to order when I checked at 12:30. And when I ordered a semi pimped 27 inch (fusion, 680 GPU, i7) at 3:15am , it still said shipping in 2 to 3 weeks, and my delivery date is Dec 24th to Dec 31st. Hard to believe a 3 TB drive or RAM could be an issue to pushing it a week or two later.

Allenbf

macrumors 6502
Jul 7, 2012
Elsewhere, USA
I guess demand and supply aren't balanced because Apple prices are too low... They should raise prices, and then, they wouldn't run into supply issues... and I wouldn't have to wait in line anymore. 5k iMacs here we come! :D

Ah, but then we get into a discussion of Price Elasticity and the availability of substitute goods :D

komodrone

macrumors 6502
Apr 26, 2011
I can't help but look at the last year and think that Apple is in a decline... so sad.

Tim Cook is said to be an expert at managing the supply chain, so why is it that when I went into my local Apple store this morning there were no iMacs to be seen?

They should not have announced the new iMac until January when they will truly be available.

Apple is still exceptional at setting high expectations, generating buzz about the latest new gizmo, etc. The problem is they are consistently falling short when it comes time to deliver on the hype they created.

Fail.

you're an expert at complaining.

Rogifan

macrumors Penryn
Nov 14, 2011
Why on earth would Apple need to constrain supply to increase hype & demand? I'm sure Tim Cook would rather have people walking out of Apple stores with an iMac in hand rather than being told to come back in 3 weeks. You can't just assume people will wait for the supply and not purchase something else. Anyway would seeing that the iMac is available for deliery right away make someone less likely to purchase than if it has a 4 week shipping delay? :confused:

anutharoundu

macrumors member
Aug 22, 2011
For double the graphics card and a better processor I think the extra price is for sure worth it.

54.gif

Ktulu

macrumors regular
Jul 23, 2002
Brownstown, MI
Ordered @ ~6:45am EST

I have a 2-3 week shipping time and a delivery window of:
Dec 24 - Dec 31

And this is the configuration:
27"
3.4GHz Quad-core Intel Core i7, Turbo Boost up to 3.9GHz
8GB 1600MHz DDR3 SDRAM - 2x4GB
1TB Serial ATA Drive @ 7200 rpm
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 680MX 2GB GDDR5
Apple Magic Mouse
Apple Keyboard with Numeric Keypad (English) & User's Guide​

Last check my shipping times had not changed and my delivery times had not changed.

Just FYI for anyone who is keeping track.:D

Last edited:

KojiH

macrumors 6502
Sep 19, 2012
I have a 2-3 week shipping time and a delivery window of:
Dec 24 - Dec 31

And this is the configuration:
27"
3.4GHz Quad-core Intel Core i7, Turbo Boost up to 3.9GHz
8GB 1600MHz DDR3 SDRAM - 2x4GB
1TB Serial ATA Drive @ 7200 rpm
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 680MX 2GB GDDR5
Apple Magic Mouse
Apple Keyboard with Numeric Keypad (English) & User's Guide​

Last check my shipping times had not changed and my delivery times had not changed.

Just FYI for anyone who is keeping track.:D

Early this morning I ordered the same configuration as above but with the 3TB fusion drive and have the same window of Dec 24-31.

Haifisch

macrumors regular
Nov 19, 2012
Do people really expect product rollout at announcement?

I have joined a lot of internet forums and this MR is the whiniest bunch ever.

TeachMeiOS.com

macrumors newbie
Nov 3, 2012
That didn't take long!

Well, it sure didn't take long for the shipping estimates to slip. I think because of this tremendous form factor and the speed increases, they will sell well. In addition, the continued supply chain issues seem to be limiting supplies.

Lancer

macrumors 68020
Jul 22, 2002
Australia
I went to a store and place my order today for the top 27" with i7, 680MX and 1Tb Fusion, 3-4 week delay which is what I was expecing. Still hope I get it before the holidays but will not be surprised to see it in the new year.

It's just part of the fun of ordering from Apple right after something new hits the market.

Lancer

macrumors 68020
Jul 22, 2002
Australia
New sales pitch:

Apple....giving you yesterday's technology, next month

How is this yesterday's technology?

The CPUs are up to day the graphics are improved and it has USB3, even Apple can't sell something that hasn't gone to market yet, like the next Intel CPUs which won't be around for 3-4 months.

Who knows, now Apple has their new iMac design they might update it with the next CPUs in June. Surely it can't be hard to slot in the new CPUs and better graphics a few months after they are released?

gwsmith

macrumors member
Oct 10, 2011
I placed my order at about 4 AM Pacific time on 11/30 and my delivery estimate is Dec. 24-31. Guess I got lucky. I ordered the 27", full specs.

SeattleMoose

macrumors 68000
Jul 17, 2009
Der Wald
Money Guys Always Get Their Way

There was a stop work put on the release by the marketing department. They were livid when it was revealed that engineering had "slipped" and made the RAM on the larger iMac user upgradeable. So the marketing/business types told Cook to "nail down" the RAM in the 27 so it is not user upgradeable. As the head of marketing said, "let's build this thing so that they have to come to us for EVERYTHING"..."just advertise it as too slim to mess with".

What next?, "plug tolls" so that every time you plug in a new cable (USB, FW, TB, etc.), you must log into the Apple Store and pay the "toll" before the driver for the port is "unlocked"???

Luap

macrumors 65816
Jul 5, 2004
I can't help but look at the last year and think that Apple is in a decline... so sad.

Tim Cook is said to be an expert at managing the supply chain, so why is it that when I went into my local Apple store this morning there were no iMacs to be seen?

They should not have announced the new iMac until January when they will truly be available.

Apple is still exceptional at setting high expectations, generating buzz about the latest new gizmo, etc. The problem is they are consistently falling short when it comes time to deliver on the hype they created.

Fail.

Oh well. Unfortunately for you, no one gives a crap about your self opinionated drivel.
10 out of 10 for copy paste skills though. Bravo..

lizardofwoz

macrumors regular
Aug 9, 2012
Australia
I am becoming expert at interpreting AppleSpeak...

Delivery of special order 27" iMacs?

Mid-January, if you are lucky.

iMac, insanely LATE

timcullis

macrumors member
Oct 9, 2012
London
Delivery of special order 27" iMacs? Mid-January, if you are lucky.

So I must really be lucky to have a custom order scheduled for 21 December delivery. :cool:

And with a following wind bringing the tea clippers from China, it might even arrive a few days early.

lizardofwoz

macrumors regular
Aug 9, 2012
Australia
So I must really be lucky to have a custom order scheduled for 21 December delivery. :cool:

And with a following wind bringing the tea clippers from China, it might even arrive a few days early.

Good luck with the Cutty Sark delivery system.

Scheduled is not delivered :)

HarryKNN21

macrumors regular
May 25, 2012
Hong Kong

Fail.

So what about if they announce the iMac in January and suddenly found out nobody is interested in it anymore because they all bough Dell in 2012 Christmas?

Also many people do want BTO machines over a stock one, Apple use online pre-orders to predict the demand of BTO machines is beneficial to everyone as well and as we know BTO machines do take longer to deliver aren't they?

macs4nw

macrumors 601
.....Apple does build hype on purpose, they could pre-produce more products before launching, and ensure that all customers were serviced. And I can speak from personal experience that I have impulse purchased several apple products in order to not have to wait longer as a result of comparison shopping, and returning to find limited stock sold out.....

Yes, they could start manufacturing them 2-3 months earlier, but it would be THAT much harder to keep a 'lid on it' for the competition, and at the speed of technological innovation, you wouldn't get the latest Tech in those products. For any reasonably-minded person, it's almost inconceivable that any company would deliberately hold back supply. I won't deny that it certainly helps to create an artificial 'shortage', but based on the phenomenal success of APPLE's recent history, I simply can't imagine them engineering such a 'shortage'. APPLE is currently the envy of the industry, or should I say, of corporations the world over.

They don't HAVE to resort to such tactics yet, and would rather be selling more products.

See also Allenbf and Rogifan below.

.....The simple facts are that Apple's demand outweighs it's supply on nearly every product, simply because of resources and a supply chain that can't keep up. Every potential customer who walks into an Apple store looking to buy iWhatever and walks out empty handed is a potential lost sale. Apple isn't in business to lose out on sales.....

Why on earth would Apple need to constrain supply to increase hype & demand? I'm sure Tim Cook would rather have people walking out of Apple stores with an iMac in hand rather than being told to come back in 3 weeks. You can't just assume people will wait for the supply and not purchase something else. Anyway would seeing that the iMac is available for delivery right away make someone less likely to purchase than if it has a 4 week shipping delay? :confused:

Do people really expect product rollout at announcement? I have joined a lot of internet forums and this MR is the whiniest bunch ever.

APPLE has spoiled us so much, that some of us, unreasonably expect total perfection. I say the anticipation is half the fun. :)

turtlez

macrumors 6502a
Jun 17, 2012
I won't be buying until January. Not keen on paying for something 4 weeks before getting it unless I am tempted with some kind of bonus. By January I will be able to walk into an Apple retail store and walk out 10 minutes later with the iMac without any pre order :D Probably be setting it up at the same time as the pre order people.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.