Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Peterg2

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 28, 2008
Montreal, Canada
At the outset, I am quite OS agnostic and have been looking at upgrading my iPhone 4 to either a WP8 or Android phone. I may still go with an iPhone 5 but I am frankly becoming a bit bored.

This preface was for the purposes of introducing this link to a Verge article which really bothers me. I am hardly a naif and have lived extensively on 3 continents. I am not unaware about rampant corruption, especially in Montreal where I am living at the moment.

The article is entitled "King of Samsung: a chairman's reign of cunning and corruption"

A very enlightening read.

http://www.theverge.com/2012/11/30/3709688/samsung-25-years-lee-kun-hee

benzslrpee

macrumors 6502
Jan 1, 2007
just curious, was Asia in any of those continents?

what Samsung is doing is fairly standard in Japan, Korea, Taiwan, China, and to some extent Singapore. Southeast Asian countries take it to a whole new level :cool: judging from the comments in that article it appears a good majority of people have never lived overseas.

Peterg2

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 28, 2008
Montreal, Canada
just curious, was Asia in any of those continents?

what Samsung is doing is fairly standard in Japan, Korea, Taiwan, China, and to some extent Singapore. Southeast Asian countries take it to a whole new level :cool: judging from the comments in that article it appears a good majority of people have never lived overseas.

I have only travelled in Asia but not lived there.

I am quite aware of other scandals there, especially the Lockheed and Recruit scandals in Japan. I just did not feel I should raise that in case some people thought I was being xenophobic.

I still feel due to the prominence of Samsung this was worth mentioning as this particular case seemed particularly egregious.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.