Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPad

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old Nov 30, 2012, 12:15 PM   #1
vastoholic
macrumors 68000
 
vastoholic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Tulsa, OK
Finally got to see mini in person

I was at the Apple store yesterday looking at the MBA and I almost completely forgot about the new iPad mini's. I had to see if all the hype/complaining was true.

First thing.......holy crap it's light!! After that first initial shock wore off and staring in amazement at the form factor, I focused on the screen. I didn't spend a whole lot of time looking at them so I didn't pay attention to what the brightness setting was, but my first thought was, it definitely doesn't pop out at you like the 3rd and 4th gen iPad does. As far as the resolution is concerned, it wasn't that bad to me at least. Yeah I could make out the pixels when looking at a normal distance, but only just barely past the point of being noticeable for me. It didn't distract me from enjoying using it and looking through the apps and playing the videos on it.

I still don't know if I'll ever get one as I recently sold my 3rd gen iPad because it wasn't getting as much as use as it use to and it's not really as good at the tasks I was asking for it at school. Hence, why I was looking at the air. However, I had Zinio on my iPad and I loved it. I still have active subscriptions (that I can view on my computer as well), but just wondering if anyone uses the mini as a magazine reader and how they like it compared to the full size. I loved my magazines on the full size, but the mini seems so convenient and easy to handle like it's built for reading material. I didn't happen to see if they had any on it.
__________________
View my flickr sets....if you want. They're not too exciting.

Last edited by vastoholic; Nov 30, 2012 at 05:22 PM.
vastoholic is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 30, 2012, 12:18 PM   #2
MonkeySee....
macrumors 68040
 
MonkeySee....'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: UK
I think the more people who see it and not pin all their opinions on blogs etc realise its actually pretty good and there has been a massive over reaction.
__________________
If you’re busy making everything, how can you perfect anything? - Apple

Always keep the rhythm in your feet and a little party in your shoulders. - Phil Dunphy
MonkeySee.... is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 30, 2012, 12:20 PM   #3
DaveOP
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Chicago
I think for Magazine reading, you will not be as happy as you were on your full size iPad. Simple fact is, things won't look as crisp and clean, and you'll be reading smaller text in general. Stick with the MBA, if you were not happy enough with your bigger iPad for this task, you will not be happier with a mini.
__________________
2014 rMBP 13" || iPhone 6 Plus 64GB Space Grey
DaveOP is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 30, 2012, 12:24 PM   #4
danish1542
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: MA
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveOP View Post
I think for Magazine reading, you will not be as happy as you were on your full size iPad. Simple fact is, things won't look as crisp and clean, and you'll be reading smaller text in general. Stick with the MBA, if you were not happy enough with your bigger iPad for this task, you will not be happier with a mini.
Agreed. I have both right now and I read magazines a lot. Holding the mini is nice but you have to use both hands when trying to turn a page or read something on the screen because the bezel is so small. Also the magazines that have been upgraded to retina quality look noticeably better on my iPad 3. Text is much clearer, photos are similar.
__________________

iPhone 5s
iPad Air
rMBP
danish1542 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 30, 2012, 12:27 PM   #5
vastoholic
Thread Starter
macrumors 68000
 
vastoholic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Tulsa, OK
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveOP View Post
I think for Magazine reading, you will not be as happy as you were on your full size iPad. Simple fact is, things won't look as crisp and clean, and you'll be reading smaller text in general. Stick with the MBA, if you were not happy enough with your bigger iPad for this task, you will not be happier with a mini.
Quote:
Originally Posted by danish1542 View Post
Agreed. I have both right now and I read magazines a lot. Holding the mini is nice but you have to use both hands when trying to turn a page or read something on the screen because the bezel is so small. Also the magazines that have been upgraded to retina quality look noticeably better on my iPad 3. Text is much clearer, photos are similar.
Thank you both for that. Perhaps I'll wait until the inevitable retina version comes out and see how it looks. I guess I feel dumb for having all of these iPad apps, many that were not free, and now I have nothing to use them on.
__________________
View my flickr sets....if you want. They're not too exciting.
vastoholic is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 30, 2012, 01:43 PM   #6
poloponies
macrumors 68030
 
Join Date: May 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveOP View Post
I think for Magazine reading, you will not be as happy as you were on your full size iPad. Simple fact is, things won't look as crisp and clean, and you'll be reading smaller text in general. Stick with the MBA, if you were not happy enough with your bigger iPad for this task, you will not be happier with a mini.
The comparative analysis isn't really the way to look at it. Sure, just like with audio speakers if you do a side-by-side comparison, the higher-end speaker will easily sound better, but once you take home a lower-end it's not like you're going to be sorely disappointed. On its own merits the mini is fine for most people.
poloponies is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 30, 2012, 05:00 PM   #7
Awakener
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by vastoholic View Post
I was at the Apple store yesterday looking at the MBA and I almost completely forgot about the new iPad mini's. I had to see if all the hype/complaining was true.

First thing.......holy crap it's light!! After that first initial shock wore off and staring in amazement at the form factor, I focused on the screen. I didn't spend a whole lot of time looking at them so I didn't pay attention to what the brightness setting was, but my first thought was, it definitely doesn't pop out at you like the 3rd and 4th gen iPad does. As far as the resolution is concerned, it wasn't that bad to me at least. Yeah I could make out the pixels when looking at a normal distance, but only just barely past the post of being noticeable for me. It didn't distract me enjoying using it and looking through the apps and playing the videos on it.
This cannot be said enough. A store is a terrible place to judge any display. The Mini looks okay in the store, but ugly at home. It is difficult to understand if have no experience comparing displays. Environment makes a huge difference. It's why so many people return products with displays after seeing them in the home.
Awakener is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 30, 2012, 05:16 PM   #8
maverick22
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by Awakener View Post
This cannot be said enough. A store is a terrible place to judge any display. The Mini looks okay in the store, but ugly at home. It is difficult to understand if have no experience comparing displays. Environment makes a huge difference. It's why so many people return products with displays after seeing them in the home.
Someone please explain why the mini would look okay in the story but ugly at home. Lighting? I'm confused I don't really have experience comparing displays by the way.

Don't they say TVs are better at home than in store (HD TVs actually running HDMI and not red/blue cables, better home equipment/sources)?
maverick22 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 30, 2012, 05:20 PM   #9
vastoholic
Thread Starter
macrumors 68000
 
vastoholic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Tulsa, OK
Quote:
Originally Posted by Awakener View Post
This cannot be said enough. A store is a terrible place to judge any display. The Mini looks okay in the store, but ugly at home. It is difficult to understand if have no experience comparing displays. Environment makes a huge difference. It's why so many people return products with displays after seeing them in the home.
Not in my experience. Every time I have looked at an item in the Apple Store before purchasing, it actually looks better once I get home because I spend more time with it and looking at it. Don't assume everyone has the same experience or judgement as you. I have never been displeased with the quality of a screen after looking at one in store, and then bringing it home.
__________________
View my flickr sets....if you want. They're not too exciting.
vastoholic is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 30, 2012, 05:26 PM   #10
maverick22
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by vastoholic View Post
Not in my experience. Every time I have looked at an item in the Apple Store before purchasing, it actually looks better once I get home because I spend more time with it and looking at it. Don't assume everyone has the same experience or judgement as you. I have never been displeased with the quality of a screen after looking at one in store, and then bringing it home.
Thank you. This makes more sense in my opinion. Once again though, I don't have much "experience in display comparison."
maverick22 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 30, 2012, 05:27 PM   #11
davideotape
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveOP View Post
I think for Magazine reading, you will not be as happy as you were on your full size iPad. Simple fact is, things won't look as crisp and clean, and you'll be reading smaller text in general. Stick with the MBA, if you were not happy enough with your bigger iPad for this task, you will not be happier with a mini.
personally I like magazine reading better on the mini. it's much lighter, i can hold it with one hand and for magazines like the New Yorker that scrolls down, i can read an entire article just by swiping my thumb. plus the size and weight just gives the device more of a "magazine" feel if that makes any sense at all.

and while yes text is crisper on the ipad, I can still read quite clearly and if you're distracted by pixel resolution while you're reading, you're not reading right.

photos in the magazines look fine too. some of them i was even surprised by how good they looked. for comics and magazines, if I have both devices right next to each other I'll grab the mini.
__________________
'13 Mac Pro; '13 11"MBA; iPhone 6; iPad Mini
davideotape is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 30, 2012, 05:34 PM   #12
rockyroad55
macrumors 68040
 
rockyroad55's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Phila, PA
Quote:
Originally Posted by MonkeySee.... View Post
I think the more people who see it and not pin all their opinions on blogs etc realise its actually pretty good and there has been a massive over reaction.
Yup, it doesn't take long to go into a store to look at one unless you live in a place that doesn't have any stores nearby.
__________________
The funniest thing about this particular signature is that by the time you realize it doesn't say anything it's too late to stop reading it.
rockyroad55 is online now   2 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 30, 2012, 05:59 PM   #13
Trat
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by maverick22 View Post
Someone please explain why the mini would look okay in the story but ugly at home. Lighting? I'm confused I don't really have experience comparing displays by the way.

Don't they say TVs are better at home than in store (HD TVs actually running HDMI and not red/blue cables, better home equipment/sources)?
You're confused because its ********. It will look the same at home as in the store. Some people just have vivid imagination and want to project that onto others.
Trat is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 30, 2012, 06:05 PM   #14
maverick22
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trat View Post
You're confused because its ********. It will look the same at home as in the store. Some people just have vivid imagination and want to project that onto others.
I'm confused about what. I know what others have said. I didn't say myself that I think one looks better than the other at home vs. the store. I know what people have told me. When I was shopping for TVs I was told at Fry's AND Conn's that the TV would look a little better at home.
maverick22 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 30, 2012, 06:21 PM   #15
Trat
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by maverick22 View Post
I'm confused about what. I know what others have said. I didn't say myself that I think one looks better than the other at home vs. the store. I know what people have told me. When I was shopping for TVs I was told at Fry's AND Conn's that the TV would look a little better at home.
How much is 'a little' 1? 2? Half times? If you believe it looks better, you will see it looks better. 101 retail business school rule. The whole audio fools habitat is founded on that principle.
Trat is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 30, 2012, 06:26 PM   #16
maverick22
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trat View Post
How much is 'a little' 1? 2? Half times? If you believe it looks better, you will see it looks better. 101 retail business school rule. The whole audio fools habitat is founded on that principle.
Oh, like I said in my reply though, I didn't believe them. That's simply what I was told. Heck, I couldn't remember what it looked like in the store anyways to make a decent comparison haha. I just wanted the user who said it looks "ok in the store but ugly at home" to elaborate some more. I just don't see how it could look different at home if it looked good at Best Buy (fingerprints covering the screen, not so great lighting).
maverick22 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 30, 2012, 06:28 PM   #17
Bokes
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
I also use the iPads for reading comics,magazines and books.
I have the mini with the holiday extended return (Jan-3 I think)- so I'm giving it a test while holding on to my iPad 3.

I totally dig the feather weight of the mini, but then- I don't find the ipad 3 all that heavy or cumbersome when using at home.

When out and about- cafe, subway, bar- The mini has been great,
but whenever I'm home- I have a hard time not reaching for the iPad 3 vs the mini.
For comics and magazines- it's no contest.
It's not just the higher resolution- it's also a better size to read magazines and comics on a slightly larger screen. Text and graphics pop and far less zooming.

I had hoped to sell the iPad 3.
I'm not sure if I will return the mini. It's so easy to handle out and about.
I may have to bite the bullet and keep both.
Ipad 3 for home and leave the mini in my bag for on the run.

Apple planned it this way- right?
Bokes is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 30, 2012, 07:00 PM   #18
Awakener
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by maverick22 View Post
Someone please explain why the mini would look okay in the story but ugly at home. Lighting? I'm confused I don't really have experience comparing displays by the way.
Just do an Internet search. It's common knowledge everywhere but this forum it seems.
Awakener is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 30, 2012, 07:03 PM   #19
maverick22
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by Awakener View Post
Just do an Internet search. It's common knowledge everywhere but this forum it seems.
No biggie. I've been satisifed with most of my purchases so far anyways. If I don't like it when I get home I'll return it. Thank you though.
maverick22 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 30, 2012, 07:26 PM   #20
kodeman53
Banned
 
Join Date: May 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by Awakener View Post
Just do an Internet search. It's common knowledge everywhere but this forum it seems.
I did a search. Seems Apple has special 'Apple light bulbs' installed in every Apple store AND at every Apple display in all other stores. These 'Apple light bulbs' make non-Retina screens look like Retina and Retina screens look like Super Retina screens.
kodeman53 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 30, 2012, 07:36 PM   #21
WilliamG
macrumors 603
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Seattle
Quote:
Originally Posted by MonkeySee.... View Post
I think the more people who see it and not pin all their opinions on blogs etc realise its actually pretty good and there has been a massive over reaction.
I think that may be true for some people. But not for me. I was pretty open-minded about the iPad mini. It really is a premium tablet. But that resolution just pains me. PAINS me. It's 100% a deal killer - the ONLY reason I don't own one right now.

That said, when I reviewed the original iPad 1st generation, I was not happy with 1024x768, either. My opinion has not changed.
__________________
iMac, MacBook Air, Mac mini, iPad, iPhone, 55-11
www.bighugenerd.com
WilliamG is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 30, 2012, 07:59 PM   #22
uniforms
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: South Orange NJ
Well, I LOVE my mini!!!!!!! It is the perfect companion with my 13" MBP Retina. I have the 3rd generation iPad retina, but I just love the weight of this mini. I do miss the retina and will buy a mini with retina as soon as it comes out. But for now, I love how light this is and I can carry it everywhere. The performance is fine. Apple really did an great job with it. That's why you can't find them anywhere.
uniforms is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 30, 2012, 09:16 PM   #23
knucklehead
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Quote:
Originally Posted by Awakener View Post
Just do an Internet search. It's common knowledge everywhere but this forum it seems.
Here's the result of the internet search you recommended:

https://www.google.com/search?client...&bih=1378&bs=1

Do you actually have anything useful you to add ... or would you like to just like to try and and maintain the illusion that you do .... ???

Edit: Awakener = wast of internet space.

I'm open to being proven wrong

give it a shot AW ....
knucklehead is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 30, 2012, 09:29 PM   #24
MisterDisney
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
The mini is my absolute favorite piece of technology. I do about 90% of every day browsing, email, and reading on it. And I probably watch as much TV on it, as I do at my actual television.
MisterDisney is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 30, 2012, 10:19 PM   #25
vastoholic
Thread Starter
macrumors 68000
 
vastoholic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Tulsa, OK
Quote:
Originally Posted by knucklehead View Post
Here's the result of the internet search you recommended:

https://www.google.com/search?client...&bih=1378&bs=1

Do you actually have anything useful you to add ... or would you like to just like to try and and maintain the illusion that you do .... ???

Edit: Awakener = wast of internet space.

I'm open to being proven wrong

give it a shot AW ....
http://www.life123.com/technology/ho...creen-tv.shtml

This is the only thing of relevance I found after searching for "do screens look better in the store". It also mentions that you achieve the in store results by changing your settings at home.

Last edited by vastoholic; Nov 30, 2012 at 10:24 PM.
vastoholic is offline   0 Reply With Quote

Reply
MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPad

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Similar Threads
thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Photo Library+ Finally organize your photos by person and any way you want. mozzarello iPhone and iPod touch Apps 0 Nov 27, 2012 07:21 AM
iPad Mini: iPad mini needs to be seen in person ChipperVW iPad 133 Nov 21, 2012 06:22 PM
Who all is waiting to see the iPad mini in person before buying it? Jacoblee23 iPad 66 Oct 29, 2012 01:22 AM
Finally some news: New Mac Mini coming with iPad Mini! ZaYoOoD Mac mini 4 Oct 15, 2012 02:38 PM
Apple 2 Iphone per person, ATT only 1 per person txlonghorns21 iPhone 2 Sep 19, 2012 10:56 PM

Forum Jump

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:51 PM.

Mac Rumors | Mac | iPhone | iPhone Game Reviews | iPhone Apps

Mobile Version | Fixed | Fluid | Fluid HD
Copyright 2002-2013, MacRumors.com, LLC