Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Nickerbocker

macrumors 6502
Apr 4, 2012
Can you use this on AT&T's prepaid plan? AT&T GoPhone prepaid is $60 for 1 GB data.

http://www.att.com/shop/wireless/plans-new.html#fbid=eHmXH81qia_

If I were going to go on AT&T GoPhone, I would probably spend the $100 and get 1000mins that last a year (or until you use them all). Then I'd get the 200MB+1000txts for $25/month.

I'm using StraightTalk now, and it is $45/month "unlimited" everything. ("unlimited" in the if you go over 2GB/month you risk having your data cut off or slowed down... but I have had it for about 6 months now without any incident and I know I've gone over 2GB more than once).

But yes...this *should* work with GSM pre-paid networks.

hchung

macrumors 6502a
Oct 2, 2008
Do you have to pay the tax when ordering in the Apple Online Store?

Yes, I do. The tax I pay will be the same whether I buy it in person at the store nearest to me, or order it online to be shipped to me.

There are one or two states (I know Oregon is one) which have no goods/services tax, so for those few people, they get it pretty cheap. However, the majority of the people in the US have to pay sales tax.

The only way for me to buy a phone at the price listed on the store is to book a plane ticket to Oregon, buy it there, and then bring it back. Not worth the savings.

----------

So only unlocked GSM iPhones, not CDMA phones... what is going on? Why not CDMA phones? Guess I am STILL waiting...

Matthew

To answer why, you'd have to know more about how CDMA2000 networks work.
The short of it is, SIM cards for CDMA networks are an option of the standard, but not required. And in the US, no carrier actually uses SIMs for provisioning. So what restricts the phone from working on a particular US carrier is actually the carrier's list of allowed phones, not the phone itself.

I've personally gotten a phone added to the Verizon network which wasn't originally on the network, but it required some work on the higher level rep.

I guess the question I'd have to ask, is what are you trying to accomplish, and which network are you trying to add an iPhone 5 to?

tedson

macrumors 6502
Jul 17, 2002
If I were going to go on AT&T GoPhone, I would probably spend the $100 and get 1000mins that last a year (or until you use them all). Then I'd get the 200MB+1000txts for $25/month.

I'm using StraightTalk now, and it is $45/month "unlimited" everything. ("unlimited" in the if you go over 2GB/month you risk having your data cut off or slowed down... but I have had it for about 6 months now without any incident and I know I've gone over 2GB more than once).

But yes...this *should* work with GSM pre-paid networks.

AT&T will no longer sell you a data plan with the 10¢ per minute plan or the $2 per day plan. (unless you were grandfathered in on the Smartphone 10c/min (GSP1) plan which they no longer offer)

They will only sell you a data plan if you are on a $25 per month or higher GoPhone plan.

wesk702

macrumors 68000
Jul 7, 2007
The hood
Verizon iPhone 5 are unlocked from day 1. When you are in the Apple store
tell them to sell you a Verizon iPhone 5 same price as the unlocked model.

Yeah I understand that, but does it mean it is an official unlock?
As in no possibility of a lockdown in the future like what happened to Sprint iPhones a while back? Just need that peace of mind because I want to give this as a gift and have it go lockdown in the future when my mom is in another country

Ps: and let's please not let this turn into responses about other methods of unlocking etc because I'm perfectly aware, but would prefer an official unlocked version if one were to come in the form of an 1429 model instead of an 8 for that sweet international LTE butter.

scotsrule08

macrumors newbie
Jan 12, 2011
Virgin mobile iPhone 5

So, I'm thinking its about time to buy an iPhone considering that I own 14 apple products, am a developer, product proffessional, and apple sales professional. I do not want a contract, and I have had virgin mobile before. When I heard the 5 was coming out I decided I would get it on virgin....oh wait they don't have the iPhone 5, yet. But I was wondering if anyone knows if virgin is going to get it soon

Marrakas

macrumors 6502
May 23, 2012
Or unless you want a quality phone which will retain its value over time, instead of a cheap plastic piece of #%€£.

Funny how those plastic pieces of #%€£ as you call them, are seemingly subject to a more strict quality control than apple's latest. Phones that bend in your pocket, and comes chipped and flaked from the factory? No thanks.

xizdun

macrumors 6502
Nov 13, 2011
Apple's "1 week" estimate for the iPhone is bull.
Placed order this morning, read "Delivers Dec 17 via Standard Shipping" immediately after placing order.

Will have to wait and see whether that changes.

Nickerbocker

macrumors 6502
Apr 4, 2012
AT&T will no longer sell you a data plan with the 10¢ per minute plan or the $2 per day plan. (unless you were grandfathered in on the Smartphone 10c/min (GSP1) plan which they no longer offer)

They will only sell you a data plan if you are on a $25 per month or higher GoPhone plan.

Well, that is still cheaper than their post-paid. Especially if you don't use the voice minutes but do use the data.

krravi

macrumors 65816
Nov 30, 2010
So what sort of prices does AT&T charge the customer if you bring them an already-unlocked iPhone 5?

Nothing, just your monthly plan.

----------

In the States they also have a federal tax and state taxes. When you see the price of $200 US D that is before taxes.

I think he is talking about "Customs Duty" or VAT like in Europe and then comes the local sales tax.

eastercat

macrumors 68040
Mar 3, 2008
PDX
Hi,
Does anyone know if these unlocked iPhones are the same as the unlocked iPhones in the UK?
AFAIK, these have different lte bands. You should look at the web site and check what the at&t model covers. You might have better luck buying an off contract verizon from the apple store.

So the iPhone 5 is 20$ cheaper than an iPad with Retina Display with comparable configuration. How can this be true? The iPhone really is way to expensive. Making 100-200$ dollar less expensive would many people buy an iPhone instead of a Samsung.
Samsung smart phones are nearly as expensive at the unsubsidized price. :rolleyes:

So are you guys saying I should just got to Apple store or on the site and purchase a verizon version, rather than the unlock ATT that is being offered?
You need to look at the lte bands used by each phone on the web site. The verizon model has different lte bands than the at&t version. Then you need to find out what your carrier uses. Do your due diligence.

Many people in the US will use these unlocked iPhones with cheaper GSM carriers like Straight Talk, Virgin Mobile, etc.
You have to buy the phone from virgin if you want to use their network. They're cdma and won't accept a phone they didn't sell you.
AT&T MVNOs (e.g., straight talk) are still usable on locked at&t phones.

Do you have to wait for Virgin Mobile to come out with the iPhone 5 themselves, or can you buy this unlocked phone and configure it tow work with Virgin Mobile yourself?
See above. CDMA is crappy, proprietary nonsense (at least the way it's practiced in the US).

When I heard the 5 was coming out I decided I would get it on virgin....oh wait they don't have the iPhone 5, yet. But I was wondering if anyone knows if virgin is going to get it soon
They supposedly will, but see above for the caveats.

johna8

macrumors newbie
Nov 6, 2010
Hey all can anyone tell me what version is the unlocked phone? A1428 or A1429 ? Looking to export one out of the US.

vartanarsen

macrumors 6502a
Jul 2, 2010
iphone 4/4S were $699 plus tax! So this is indeed cheaper!
Thats because iPone 4/4s had a better construction of glass and stainless steel. The new one feels lighter in hand and cheaper aluminum -like tin foil.
I prefer the cold steel bands of the 4/4s line, and is why i didn't upgrade from my unlocked 4S..the other reason was the shape and weight. Maybe I'm in the minority, but i love the feel and weight of the 4/4s line. 5 is too light in hand and shape is too tall. 4/4s feels perfect in hand/pocket (3.5 diagonal is the perfect shape for hand and in pocket) and weight is perfect solid weight, not toy-like like the 5.
Finally, my Straight Talk on 4s was giving AT&T Grade 3G for $50/month. Nothing would beat that, even this new "unlocked 5" wont get LTE without an $100 ATT plan. To the poster who said they'll cut down their Straight Talk Sim, have fun...youwont cant anything past ATT 3G anyway......

this is all my 2 cents!!! and a penny!!!

mkimid

macrumors member
Sep 22, 2011
USA
Unlocked iPhone 5 is A1429*

A1428 is the only choice through apple.com.

Actually, Verizon iPhone can support CDMA, GSM, Verizon LTE, world LTE.
And, AT&T version can support GSM, AT&T LTE

Unlocked version has disabled CDMA. But, I am not sure, Verizon LTE.

If buy a Verizon version, you can use CDMA, GSM, and Verizon LTE, World LTE

Apple failed to support AT&T LTE and Verizon LTE in a device.

Just check with iPad series

Foxykhat

macrumors member
Nov 12, 2010
You need to look at the lte bands used by each phone on the web site. The verizon model has different lte bands than the at&t version. Then you need to find out what your carrier uses. Do your due diligence.

Thanks.

Still a bit confused since I don't understand a lot of the terms.

However, I will stick with the AT&T, as I think Verizon although unlock does not work to well with my carrier's network for some reason. I say this because in the past with the use of BB is was hell. And the reason they gave me was that Verizon is a issue for them even unlocked.

Foxy

katanna

macrumors 6502
May 6, 2004
No. The Verizon iPhone 5 is already unlocked out of the gate through the carrier, I believe due to a contract requirement with the FCC. You can get an unlockled iPhone 5 from Verizon on contract for $199, $299, $399 or an unlocked iPhone 5 off contract for $649, $749, and $849.

Thanks! But specifically I am wanting to go with Virgin Mobile... Guess I will have to wait until I can buy it from them (IE: they officially support it).

Matthew

terraphantm

macrumors 68040
Jun 27, 2009
Pennsylvania
I am Australian. And our minimum wage is on par with that. So the "a lot less" is simply not true.

He was quoting the Australian minimum wage. US minimum wage is almost half that. Our low level employees do make a lot less than in many other developed nations.

Same can't be said about higher paid jobs though.

----------

So the iPhone 5 is 20$ cheaper than an iPad with Retina Display with comparable configuration. How can this be true? The iPhone really is way to expensive. Making 100-200$ dollar less expensive would many people buy an iPhone instead of a Samsung.

$20 *more* actually. I don't understand it.

----------

What do you consider an unlocked CDMA phone? Sprint and Verizon have never really allowed non-branded phone on their network. That's a carrier policy, not one from the hardware vendor.

This does not apply with LTE (at least on Verizon). If your phone supports the right bands and is unlocked, pop a Verizon SIM in it and it'll just work

eastercat

macrumors 68040
Mar 3, 2008
PDX
You've taken a sprint phone and popped in a verizon sim? And it worked?
I'm understandably skeptical, because that's not s.o.p. for verizon (or most of the other cdma carriers--except metro pcs and possibly cricket).
This does not apply with LTE (at least on Verizon). If your phone supports the right bands and is unlocked, pop a Verizon SIM in it and it'll just work

terraphantm

macrumors 68040
Jun 27, 2009
Pennsylvania
You've taken a sprint phone and popped in a verizon sim? And it worked?
I'm understandably skeptical, because that's not s.o.p. for verizon (or most of the other cdma carriers--except metro pcs and possibly cricket).

Are the sprint iPhone 5s unlocked?

Here's Verizon's FAQ: http://support.verizonwireless.com/faqs/VZAccess/4g_sim_card.html

The last question in particular is the relevant one.

xizdun

macrumors 6502
Nov 13, 2011
Apple's "1 week" estimate for the iPhone is bull.
Placed order this morning, read "Delivers Dec 17 via Standard Shipping" immediately after placing order.

Will have to wait and see whether that changes.

Was expecting delivery Friday, 7th December. Now, it's "Adverse weather conditions.", followed by "The scheduled flight was canceled due to circumstances beyond UPS control." Weather in South Korea seems just fine.

WTF, Apple (and UPS)?

kkVuU.png

OriginalMacRat

macrumors 6502a
Mar 9, 2007
Was expecting delivery Friday, 7th December. Now, it's "Adverse weather conditions.", followed by "The scheduled flight was canceled due to circumstances beyond UPS control." Weather in South Korea seems just fine.

Could be the weather at the flight's destination. Not the origin.

xizdun

macrumors 6502
Nov 13, 2011
Could be the weather at the flight's destination. Not the origin.
Hmm, you've got a point. I'm pretty sure the UPS flight from Korea to the US touches down at Anchorage, AK, where the weather also seems fine.

I'm almost certain "WORLD EASE" means it's being shipped as part of a consignment of a few thousand iPhones, which then get broken up as they approach their destinations / customs clearance.

xizdun

macrumors 6502
Nov 13, 2011
Doh, of course. Did not occur to me that weather in the Pacific Ocean could also be a consideration, although you'd think the high altitude wouldn't affect flights.

QoX2K.jpg

Patience is key. :rolleyes:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.