Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Medic311

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jul 30, 2011
I haven't heard of anyone on the forums complain about any light bleeding with their iPad Minis. Well it seems that mine suffers from it pretty bad. This is on ~66% brightness. While it's not nearly as bad as the iPad 3 that I used to have, it's still considerably distracting while watching a movie at night.

I'm taking it to an Apple Store tomorrow. Not sure what they can do for me at this point, seeing how no one has any iPad Minis in stock (even in my configuration).

I have the 64GB LTE-Verizon

Attachments

• ipad mini light bleed 1.JPG
    ipad mini light bleed 1.JPG
    2 MB · Views: 1,839

Medic311

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jul 30, 2011
I'm just curious if anyone else has seen this with their iPad Mini?

I know it's a prevalent problem with iPad Retina (more so with the iPad 3)

EMAN19

macrumors 6502
Sep 19, 2012
New York, NY
No light bleed on my iPad mini. If it's bothering you make an appointment with a genius to try and get it swapped out for a new one. I'm convinced that you'll find a flaw in any gadget you buy, even with Apple. If you get a replacement I'm sure there'll be some kind of flaw, whether it be big or small / cosmetic or hardware-wise.

thadoggfather

macrumors P6
Oct 1, 2007
Mine doesn't do that.

If I were you I'd try another.

If it were really mild I'd be alright with it but that seems sort of extreme coming from two edges.

You spent top dollar for top ipad mini model I'd accept no less than a good screen.

My ipad 2 had backlight bleed but it was great quality otherwise so I didn't feel like doing the swap thing.

And my ipad 3 was a multiple hue multiple exchange uneven tint nightmare. My current one is amazing

My first mini stopped working second one was a weird dull panel and weird tint and this one is fine minus an occasional weird wifi hiccup and dust collecting seemingly in the crevice between the glass and chamfer.

Last edited:

quite98

macrumors newbie
Jan 7, 2009
I had this with mine, which had about the same amount of uneven bleed. Black, 16gb Verizon LTE. Returned it - not an issue.

Medic311

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jul 30, 2011
I had this with mine, which had about the same amount of uneven bleed. Black, 16gb Verizon LTE. Returned it - not an issue.

did you return it due to the lack of availability of stock or did you change your mind all together on owning an iPad Mini?

quite98

macrumors newbie
Jan 7, 2009
did you return it due to the lack of availability of stock or did you change your mind all together on owning an iPad Mini?

I was offered a replacement. Before purchase I was aware of Apple's ongoing quality issues and made the decision that if the device had any flaws, I would just return and be done given that I considered that the device wasn't really a need for me. It was unfortunate though, as I did like the form factor very much.

Medic311

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jul 30, 2011
just got back from the Apple Store - they said that the screen is normal LOL.

i guess they are right...low quality is normal for iPads now

FrozenDarkness

macrumors 68000
Mar 21, 2009
i don't remember the last ipad that came without light bleed problems. so while it is annoying yes, it's hardly new and shocking

Medic311

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jul 30, 2011
i don't remember the last ipad that came without light bleed problems. so while it is annoying yes, it's hardly new and shocking

for sure, i played the Retina lottery back when i owned an iPad 3. then i finally got a good one. returned it and got an iPad 4 which happened to have light bleed. returned that and got a Mini only for it to have light bleed.

so yes, the guy at the Apple store was right - this horrendous level of quality is normal for Apple

FrozenDarkness

macrumors 68000
Mar 21, 2009
for sure, i played the Retina lottery back when i owned an iPad 3. then i finally got a good one. returned it and got an iPad 4 which happened to have light bleed. returned that and got a Mini only for it to have light bleed.

so yes, the guy at the Apple store was right - this horrendous level of quality is normal for Apple

you seem like a very bitter person. no apple product, no tech product i've own have ever escaped light bleed. be thankful you're buying from a company that lets you swap like that indefinitely.

augustya

Suspended
Feb 17, 2012
And infact I dont see the Light Bleeding as prominent as the OP is trying to make out it to be. Infact it is Negligible rather none !

Medic311

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jul 30, 2011
you seem like a very bitter person. no apple product, no tech product i've own have ever escaped light bleed. be thankful you're buying from a company that lets you swap like that indefinitely.

ah here we go...be thankful that apple is allowing me the privilege of buying products from them and exchanging defective ones? that's a joke.

i had an iPad 2 that had a perfect screen on #1 - no light bleeding at all. after 2 exchanges of iPad 3's i finally got a perfect one. the Retina screen was a giant lottery for many here, i consider myself one of the lucky ones.

this isn't about not being thankful for Apple's return policy, believe me i appreciate their excellent customer service. i was merely pointing the ridiculousness of the employee who said that that is seen above is considered "normal" and then laughing at the fact that while what he said is ridiculous he is ironically correct.

the point of this thread was to see if anyone with iPad Minis have experienced light bleeding as my initial search didn't turn up any threads on the subject with this particular model

----------

And infact I dont see the Light Bleeding as prominent as the OP is trying to make out it to be. Infact it is Negligible rather none !

in the same post you say

-not as prominent
then,
-negligible
then,
-none

so which is it?

i wasn't aware that a picture that blatantly shows light bleed is that difficult to analyze

augustya

Suspended
Feb 17, 2012
and the award for the most oblivious person goes to...

As @Frozendarkness earlier pointed out be thankful to a company which allows you to exchange as many time as you are not satisfied. But Technically Apple will still not agree this as a potential problem. They may give you a replacement because you are not happy. But according to their books of theory it ain't a problem !

unfor

macrumors newbie
Nov 1, 2012
still in Germany...
got my white wifi 32gb mini today...

- a deep scratch on the backside
- 3 pixel errors (1 is blinking pink)
- extreme backlight bleeding

nice one apple...

the quality control is sooo damn poor...

FrozenDarkness

macrumors 68000
Mar 21, 2009
ah here we go...be thankful that apple is allowing me the privilege of buying products from them and exchanging defective ones? that's a joke.

i had an iPad 2 that had a perfect screen on #1 - no light bleeding at all. after 2 exchanges of iPad 3's i finally got a perfect one. the Retina screen was a giant lottery for many here, i consider myself one of the lucky ones.

this isn't about not being thankful for Apple's return policy, believe me i appreciate their excellent customer service. i was merely pointing the ridiculousness of the employee who said that that is seen above is considered "normal" and then laughing at the fact that while what he said is ridiculous he is ironically correct.

the point of this thread was to see if anyone with iPad Minis have experienced light bleeding as my initial search didn't turn up any threads on the subject with this particular model

----------

in the same post you say

-not as prominent
then,
-negligible
then,
-none

so which is it?

i wasn't aware that a picture that blatantly shows light bleed is that difficult to analyze

Hey perfectly understandable. As I said its quite annoying to have it happen. I just take exception that you seem surprised or think this is some QA problem to have lightbleed. Literally the most common thing found on gadgets today. I'm not just defending apple, no led device has had a clean history without lightbleed, obviously except for displays with no backlight. It just comes to a point where if you weed them out, you'd get zero yield.

The technology behind LED is to have the light being shone from the edges. As such unless the display is glued perfectly you'll get lightbleed. I'd say degrees of lightbleed is more important than the actual affliction.

Skika

macrumors 68030
Mar 11, 2009
The question is, does this bother you with your daily usage of you iPad?

Or is this a principle kind of thing?

I had light bleed on my iPhone 4 and iPad 2. I knew it was there but never did it bother me doing things i did every day.

Now i have iPad 3 and iPhone 5 both without lightbleed, but i guess i dont really care even if they had it.

j.benj

macrumors member
Jun 13, 2012
Wow that sucks. I have zero bleed on my mini. I'd def take it to the Apple store for a swap.

Aug 5, 2012

You've been buying some pretty poor tech then.

OP return it... Demand the quality you have paid for.

Dont listen to the weak consumers like this

corvus32

macrumors 6502a
Sep 4, 2009
USA
If you're not satisfied, return it or sell it to someone here who can't tell the difference.

For comparison, I've attached a photo of mine at 100% brightness.

(Nikon D40 : 1/6 sec @ ISO1600 : f/4.2)

Attachments

• DSC_4670-1.jpg
    DSC_4670-1.jpg
    162.1 KB · Views: 442

Medic311

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jul 30, 2011
at 10:01pm i refreshed the stock and no Apple Store within a 50 mile radius has the 64GB LTE-Verizon model in stock. neither does Best Buy. what's funny is that they had plenty of 16GB and 32GB wifi models in stock, but no LTE models. are LTE models really that popular with the iPad Mini or is the supply of that configuration that constrained?

i definitely plan on returning it and re-buying a new one, but in the reverse order because i want to have an iPad with me for jury duty next week. maybe early next week they will get some more in stock and i can buy another one and return this one.

despite some here who say "no big deal" - i disagree. this screen is unacceptable and the purpose of this thread wasn't to invite people to comment on whether they thought or didn't think the light bleed was OK. it was to ask if other Mini users are getting ones with light bleed because from the looks of the forums it seems i was the first to bring it up

----------

If you're not satisfied, return it or sell it to someone here who can't tell the difference.

that is what it SHOULD look like and that is what my iPad 2 and my 3rd iPad 3 looks like. thanks for posting a pic of a good one

EMAN19

macrumors 6502
Sep 19, 2012
New York, NY
I hope you can get it swapped out, OP. if you're dissatisfied you have every right to swap it out, irregardless of what anybody says.

FrozenDarkness

macrumors 68000
Mar 21, 2009

Obvious little light leakage on the right. Time to freak out

----------

You've been buying some pretty poor tech then.

OP return it... Demand the quality you have paid for.

Dont listen to the weak consumers like this

Show me a led device that escaped light bleed?

Last edited by a moderator:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.