Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

cclloyd

macrumors 68000
Oct 26, 2011
Alpha Centauri A
People say they go with a cheaply made android because of the freedom.

So why not get the best designed hardware around AND the freedom of doing what you want?

apunkrockmonk

macrumors 6502a
Nov 20, 2005
Rochester, NY
Anxiously awaiting it for the google voice phone and sms plugins. I've cut AT&T out of the equation, going exclusively with google voice, tapatalk and freedom pop for a $0/mo cell phone bill. Would be awesome if I could use it all with the stock apple apps.

labman

macrumors 604
Jun 9, 2009
Mich near Detroit
People say they go with a cheaply made android because of the freedom.

So why not get the best designed hardware around AND the freedom of doing what you want?

I meant what I said I'm happy with Apple right now but if I can't jailbreak then I will find my freedom else where, it's that simple. I stuck with my 4s so I could keep my jailbreak. I also would call Android cheaply made my tablet is Android both have there pros and cons..

BiggAW

macrumors 68030
Jun 19, 2010
Connecticut
Ok so I've jailbroken ever single iPhone I've owned up until the 5. Besides from cosmetic differences is there any reason to jailbreak now? I do miss MyWi but besides that I feel that the combination of hardware and software is more than sufficient now.

Exactly. Tethering for those of us not on Mobile Share or Share Everything.

bananafranco

macrumors member
Dec 21, 2008
Frankfurt
It really depends on what you would like to do with your Phone. For me, until there's no OpenVPN client support I deem it necessary.

Connecting to to the Office network on the go and being able to administrate some servers or connecting to Terminal Services is great and gives me such freedom. On the private side, it's awesome to be able to load my iTunes library from home on my phone - wherever I am - and listen to audiobooks (which I do a lot). Since iTunes match doesn't match audiobooks my VPN is the only way to access them on the go natively in the iPhone Music App.

At the moment I hardly use my company-issued iPhone 5 because I'm not able to VPN in to the company network. Instead my iP4 still gets denied retirement...

Also SB-Settings is a real time-saver and Glasklart makes the icons less eye-hurting ;-)

DP812

macrumors regular
Aug 13, 2009
Japan
Ok so I've jailbroken ever single iPhone I've owned up until the 5. Besides from cosmetic differences is there any reason to jailbreak now? I do miss MyWi but besides that I feel that the combination of hardware and software is more than sufficient now.

For me, the only thing I really want is TetherMe. If I could tether (and not worry about data caps or excess charges), I wouldn't bother with jailbreaking.

takeshi74

macrumors 601
Feb 9, 2011
THIS. the best of both worlds. JB iOS > android > stock iOS
Also subjective. It really depends on what one needs/wants out of the device and this isn't a one-size-fits-all matter. Android still has quite a bit of versatility that isn't possible on a JB IOS device. I have yet to find an equivalent for Tasker on Android, for example.

Using what fits your specific needs/wants > relying on broad generalizations posted on a forum site

BiggAW

macrumors 68030
Jun 19, 2010
Connecticut
Also subjective. It really depends on what one needs/wants out of the device and this isn't a one-size-fits-all matter. Android still has quite a bit of versatility that isn't possible on a JB IOS device. I have yet to find an equivalent for Tasker on Android, for example.

Using what fits your specific needs/wants > relying on broad generalizations posted on a forum site

True, and both are great options, but for pure ease of use and setup, the JB'ed iOS wins. It's also true that iOS, even Jailbroken, is not as customizable as Android.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.