Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Suspended
Original poster
May 3, 2011
More and more of my customers are using iMessage from phones and as with most business' I have a mixture of OSX and Win devices, but my main company computer is Win7 due to Quickbooks not being available on Mac in the UK.

Yes I know about Parallels and no I'm not forking out for an iMac at this time.

Surely Apple are missing a trick with a paid program to have iMessage on Windows PC's

Macman45

macrumors G5
Jul 29, 2011
Somewhere Back In The Long Ago
More and more of my customers are using iMessage from phones and as with most business' I have a mixture of OSX and Win devices, but my main company computer is Win7 due to Quickbooks not being available on Mac in the UK.

Yes I know about Parallels and no I'm not forking out for an iMac at this time.

Surely Apple are missing a trick with a paid program to have iMessage on Windows PC's

And allow MS customers to use their server bandwidth?...:eek: I doubt it will happen. What would Apple stand to gain from a Windows compatible version? Not much, and if anything it might deter people from making the switch to a Mac.

Jnardis

macrumors 6502a
Jun 2, 2010
People use to same the same exact thing about Blackberry Messenger a few years back... I'm with you, I wish it could be done - but I highly doubt it will happen.

Suspended
Original poster
May 3, 2011
And allow MS customers to use their server bandwidth?...:eek: I doubt it will happen. What would Apple stand to gain from a Windows compatible version? Not much, and if anything it might deter people from making the switch to a Mac.

The amount of user who have iphone/iPods/iPads and PC will be far far greater than Mac users. Nothing to do with bandwidth but everything to do with customer satisfaction. iTunes would have anywhere near the amount of users now if it wasn't for Apple releasing the windows version.

blueroom

macrumors 603
Feb 15, 2009
Toronto, Canada
The amount of user who have iphone/iPods/iPads and PC will be far far greater than Mac users. Nothing to do with bandwidth but everything to do with customer satisfaction. iTunes would have anywhere near the amount of users now if it wasn't for Apple releasing the windows version.

If it's customer satisfaction you're after buy a Mac.

AdrianK

macrumors 68020
Feb 19, 2011
iTunes would have anywhere near the amount of users now if it wasn't for Apple releasing the windows version.
Very true, but if it wasn't the iPod wouldn't have taken off. They had to do it to break in to a new market. Not the case with iMessage.

BenTrovato

macrumors 68040
Jun 29, 2012
Canada
It's an opportunity for Apple to show PC users how nice their user experience is. Although my experience with iMessage on OS X hasn't been exactly flawless. If I was Apple, I wouldn't release it for Windows but then again I wouldn't have only vertically extended the iPhone 5. So who knows what will happen.

Small White Car

macrumors G4
Aug 29, 2006
Washington DC
Things that make sense to release cross platform: iTunes, Quicktime, Safari

Things that don't make sense: Final Cut Pro, iLife, OS X itself

Which list does Messages belong on? I kind of have to agree with the posters who say the 2nd list.

But heck, I'm not so sure about Facetime...it's on list #2 but I'm not sure it shouldn't be on #1. So wherever it goes I think Messages should follow. So maybe my own view isn't even consistent.

Menel

Suspended
Aug 4, 2011
Things that make sense to release cross platform: iTunes, Quicktime, Safari

Things that don't make sense: Final Cut Pro, iLife, OS X itself

Which list does Messages belong on? I kind of have to agree with the posters who say the 2nd list.

But heck, I'm not so sure about Facetime...it's on list #2 but I'm not sure it shouldn't be on #1. So wherever it goes I think Messages should follow. So maybe my own view isn't even consistent.
No Safari on PC, it's deprecated.

PC never got version 6 and on.

Jessica Lares

macrumors G3
Oct 31, 2009
Near Dallas, Texas, USA
It has a lot to do with bandwidth. It also has to do with what would happen if suddenly millions more of people had access to it. People would make accounts for their friends without iCloud capable devices, and people would pay someone to set it up for them. Limiting it to OS X helps a lot in that problem. Apple doesn't want to make services for everyone, they want to make services for their customers. The same thing with FaceTime.

Damolee

macrumors 6502a
Nov 20, 2012
I like Macs, but i'm a gamer. So it counts me out.

I do wish Apple put more effort into Windows related apps. There are times when cross company cooperation for the benefit of consumers should be embraced.

Kashsystems

macrumors 6502
Jul 23, 2012
Apple should just allow Whatsapp on their ipad and mac...:(

That is up to the Whatsapp developers has nothing to do with Apple. If they want to build their own system and bring it across platform they could.

----------

iMessage is no longer allowed for Lion, this is Apple's way of pushing a unified structure across all devices and sales.

iMessage does not sell their phones or Macs, if Apple thought this was the case they would have made it for Windows. It is why iTunes is still available for Windows because they sell iPhones and iPods.

macsrcool1234

Suspended
Oct 7, 2010
It has a lot to do with bandwidth. It also has to do with what would happen if suddenly millions more of people had access to it. People would make accounts for their friends without iCloud capable devices, and people would pay someone to set it up for them. Limiting it to OS X helps a lot in that problem. Apple doesn't want to make services for everyone, they want to make services for their customers. The same thing with FaceTime.

Sorry but no. Text messages take very little bandwidth. Sure there's pictures and other media but iMessage by far is the least bandwidth consuming of all Cloud features.

They should make a windows app or even better make it web accessible.

Suspended
Original poster
May 3, 2011
I am missing it, I have two Macs, three iPads, three iPhones, and a PC for my business and employees. It's been brilliant to keep us all in touch, just a pain not having that little extra ability to still continue conversations on my main PC.

I like the web based idea, in iCloud services online would be excellent.

CosmoPilot

macrumors 68000
Nov 8, 2010
South Carolina
Just buy the iMac w/Parallels and be done with it. You'll never be able to say you can't do anything again.

As an aside, I use my MBP iMessage all the time. It's freaky to watch my iPhone update near instantaneously as I send and receive texts.

Seriously, I doubt Apple will enable iMessage or FaceTime for PCs within my lifetime.

irnchriz

macrumors 65816
May 2, 2005
Scotland
I have iMessage configured on my iPhone, iPad, iMac and MacBook Pro and I use it all of the time (the vast majority of my friends and family have iPhones).

macsrcool1234

Suspended
Oct 7, 2010
Just buy the iMac w/Parallels and be done with it. You'll never be able to say you can't do anything again.

As an aside, I use my MBP iMessage all the time. It's freaky to watch my iPhone update near instantaneously as I send and receive texts.

Seriously, I doubt Apple will enable iMessage or FaceTime for PCs within my lifetime.

I don't know, I feel like eventually it will become a part of iCloud that is accessible in the browser. Makes more sense (and is probably easier) than maintaining a separate application.

Abazigal

Contributor
Jul 18, 2011
Singapore
Honestly, your not missing much. I have it on my mac and really don't utilize it much.

It's situational, but there are times when it really comes in handy, like when I need to message someone and can do it on my laptop, without needing to reach for my phone and stop my workflow.

That reminds me...a few of my colleagues are still in ios4.3...if only I can get them to update their iphones...:mad:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.