Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Chihawk725

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 17, 2012
I will be moving soon for work and the area that I will temporarily be located at has problems with frequent yet short lived power outages, something like 3 mins long or so. I do not want my new iMac to go down every time this happens so does anyone have any suggestions? My budget is absolutely less than 100 u.s. dollars and from looking online it seems that I can get a UPS backup that will last for more than 15 minutes supplying a powerful desktop in that price range.

Also are there any voltage specs or anything I should know about when choosing a back up source of power for the new iMac?

Finally if there are any apps or programs that people know of that could tell my new iMac to go into a power saving mode or begin to shutdown when on backup power that will earn you bonus points :D. THANKS

TrboMac

macrumors regular
Aug 8, 2012
NC/USA
I will be moving soon for work and the area that I will temporarily be located at has problems with frequent yet short lived power outages, something like 3 mins long or so. I do not want my new iMac to go down every time this happens so does anyone have any suggestions? My budget is absolutely less than 100 u.s. dollars and from looking online it seems that I can get a UPS backup that will last for more than 15 minutes supplying a powerful desktop in that price range.

Also are there any voltage specs or anything I should know about when choosing a back up source of power for the new iMac?

Finally if there are any apps or programs that people know of that could tell my new iMac to go into a power saving mode or begin to shutdown when on backup power that will earn you bonus points :D. THANKS

For starters, check out this recent thread in another sub forum. You can also search in both forums for 'UPS' and I'm sure you'll get lots of suggestions.

Chihawk725

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 17, 2012
Thanks! I originally tried to find a similar thread but was not as successful as you were.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.