Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iOS > iOS 6

Old Nov 30, 2012, 02:36 PM   #1
rickmeadows
macrumors newbie

Question How's iPhone 4 battery life on iOS 6.0.1?

I upgraded to iOS 6 when it first became available and was appalled by the sudden poor battery issues and heating problems I began having with my iPhone 4. As Apple was still signing iOS 5.1.1, I managed to downgrade.

Months later, I wonder if things are better? I know there's a version 6.0.1 now, is it better in these matters? I would like to hear from the iPhone 4 users.

Thanks in advance
rickmeadows is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 1, 2012, 12:27 AM   #2
inselstudent
macrumors 6502a

Haven't noticed worse battery life since installing iOS 6. If you're interested in jailbreaking your device, I wouldn't upgrade though. I used to have the tethered jailbreak and that really did slow the phone down (at least for me) and it also worsened battery life.

But apart from the jailbreak, the iPhone 4 seems to run even smoother on iOS 6. Concerning the battery life, sometimes it helps to restore your phone and set it up as new rather than using a backup of an older iOS version.
inselstudent is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 1, 2012, 09:32 AM   #3
rickmeadows
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by inselstudent View Post
Haven't noticed worse battery life since installing iOS 6. If you're interested in jailbreaking your device, I wouldn't upgrade though. I used to have the tethered jailbreak and that really did slow the phone down (at least for me) and it also worsened battery life.

But apart from the jailbreak, the iPhone 4 seems to run even smoother on iOS 6. Concerning the battery life, sometimes it helps to restore your phone and set it up as new rather than using a backup of an older iOS version.
No, no intentions on jailbreaking.

And when I originally upgraded I restored from backup using iCloud.

So perhaps I'll have better performance if I set it as new?

Does it make a difference if I use the over-the-air upgrade or iTunes?
rickmeadows is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 1, 2012, 03:37 PM   #4
inselstudent
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by rickmeadows View Post
No, no intentions on jailbreaking.

And when I originally upgraded I restored from backup using iCloud.

So perhaps I'll have better performance if I set it as new?

Does it make a difference if I use the over-the-air upgrade or iTunes?
There should be no difference between iTunes and over the air update. And as I said, sometimes issues arise when people use their old backups to restore to a newer firmware. So maybe it poses a problem and maybe it does not. If I were you, I'd first try it with a backup and if there are any big issues set it up as new. IMO setting it up as new is a real hassle.
inselstudent is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 1, 2012, 06:04 PM   #5
Beeplance
macrumors 65816

Going to iTunes and doing a restore is the key to solving most battery problems. If you still not confident, do a "reset all settings" to get rid of any possible battery draining settings that you might not be aware of.

Hope this helps!
Beeplance is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 2, 2012, 08:58 AM   #6
rickmeadows
macrumors newbie

Thanks for all the replies. I'll shift things a bit, now:

Is the performance better on iOS 6? On the iPhone 4, I mean.

Right now, on iOS 5.1.1, it's as snappy as it gets. When I originally upgraded to iOS 6 (from a backup, OTA update, mentioned on my original post), my iPhone 4 became really sluggish.

Does iOS 6 really make the iPhone 4 sluggish slow? If I'm to restore it as new, of course.
rickmeadows is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 2, 2012, 02:09 PM   #7
jmy2469
macrumors member

Mine has been fine, have not noticed any difference. Now if I could get wifi sync to work, everything would be great!

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iOS > iOS 6