Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

rainbowsofwhite

macrumors 6502
Jul 21, 2011
Wacom Intuos5 Touch Medium.

Ever since I started using Wacom, I never use anything else.

So I've got my Wacom Intuos5 Touch Medium ready and waiting.

(but I did choose the Magic Mouse when ordering). :)

kathyricks

macrumors 6502
Nov 26, 2012
I use the original 1998 iMac puck mouse. None of the newer Apple mouses seem to be simple and idiotproof to use on a variety of surfaces including fabric (e.g. on my Levi's covered thigh if I've lying down on a bed or sofa).

baxlobs

macrumors regular
Nov 21, 2012
Suffolk UK
It appears from this thread that many use Logitech or other wireless mice with the iMac.

Do these just plug into a USB port as on a PC and work, or do Mac drivers need to be installed?

I have ordered the trackpad, but I might want to use my comfortable Logitech wireless mouse as well for certain tasks. It would be nice if it is easy to set up.

Last edited:

nightlong

macrumors 6502a
Jun 16, 2012
Australia
Yes, just plugs into USB, no driver required. I much prefer the Logitech mouse, can't stand Apple mice, the worst things they make, IMO.

Have just got a trackpad, in the Black Friday sale. never liked trackpads before I got the Air, but love this, even easier to use than the Air's, being bigger and more conveniently placed, on the desk.

digitalfailure

macrumors regular
Sep 24, 2012
I'm unsure to go with a mouse or track pad , how does the trackpad deal with editing images in photoshop? I currently use the mouse because I've never felt comfortable with a tablet.

Fynd

macrumors 6502
Aug 11, 2010
The Magic Mouse is awful, and I use a Razer Naga, so the trackpad was an easy choice.

digitalfailure

macrumors regular
Sep 24, 2012
Can you use both at the same time?

When I order my 27" I'll be getting it with the wired keyboard as I prefer to plug my phone or memory card reader into there than reach around the back. And I also use the number pad a fair bit so there would only be the 2 Bluetooth connections.

MeFromHere

macrumors 6502
Oct 11, 2012

When I order my 27" I'll be getting it with the wired keyboard as I prefer to plug my phone or memory card reader into there than reach around the back. And I also use the number pad a fair bit so there would only be the 2 Bluetooth connections.

Previous iMacs could connect bluetooth keyboard, mouse, and trackpad at the same time. I also had the local Apple store demo keyboard + 2 trackpads simultaneously. Worked fine, but you can't do gestures on both trackpads at the same time.

I assume current iMacs can do the same.

Fresh28

macrumors newbie
Nov 27, 2012
I'm unsure to go with a mouse or track pad , how does the trackpad deal with editing images in photoshop? I currently use the mouse because I've never felt comfortable with a tablet.

The trackpad is nice for daily surfing and what not but trust me, based on experiences with my MacBook Pro and Photoshop, horrible time (extremely hard to be detailed with it)

glutenenvy

macrumors regular
Sep 6, 2011
WA
I'm a first time Mac owner so was a lil bit confused but decided to go for the Trackpad. I figured hell a mouse is a mouse can just get one later. Hopefully didnt make the wrong decision.

Even no mouse is better than the magic mouse. I gave mine away after trying very hard to get used to it. Uncomfortable and awkward is about the best way to describe the magic mouse. The trackpad is nice for nearly every task. I have a box of usb mice I have collected if I need it for games.

In my opinion, Apple should pay you to use the magic mouse. It's just that bad.

iMcLovin

macrumors 68000
Feb 11, 2009
Get the trackpad. The Magic Mouse looks great but it's not very at anything else than surfing. For games etc it stinks.

daveishere

macrumors 6502a
Dec 2, 2008
UK
I'm going for a mouse I think. Apple trackpads are amazing but always been a mouse fan myself.

maehara

macrumors regular
Jan 2, 2003
Northern Ireland
Both. Bought the trackpad in the Black Friday sale, and the iMac has been ordered with the mouse. In general, I find a trackpad far more useful (and I've been using Mac laptops for the past 6 years, so spoilt by the multitouch gestures), but there are occasional tasks where it's hard to beat a mouse.

imjoee

macrumors 6502
Jun 12, 2012
I'm a first time Mac owner so was a lil bit confused but decided to go for the Trackpad. I figured hell a mouse is a mouse can just get one later. Hopefully didnt make the wrong decision.

My opinion, the track pad is an absolute waste of money! Don't buy! I purchased both Magic Mouse and track pad, the only time I used the track pad was when I opened it, now it just dusts on my desk, don't buy and put the money towards something else.

wpalomine

macrumors member
Oct 22, 2010

Yes, occasionally I use both at the same time. However, I do prefer the trackpad more. The mouse's profile is too low for extended use IMO.

DelMac

macrumors regular
Oct 15, 2012
Magic Mouse for my iMac, Trackpad for my MB Air. The mouse is more accurate for the work I need to get done on my Mac and works better with the large 27" screen. The Trackpad is better for the small 11" MB Air screen.

NJRonbo

macrumors 68040
Jan 10, 2007
Sorry...if you went with a Magic Mouse, and have never tried the Trackpad, you made a HUGE mistake.

The Magic Trackpad is not your Father's trackpad.

It is the most efficient way to use Mountain Lion. Once you get used to it you will never want to go back to a mouse again.

I think the amount of replies thus far confirms my point.

Perhaps some of you can adjust your order without penalty?

cesarhans

macrumors newbie
Nov 13, 2012
Toulouse - France
Magic trackpad is AWESOME. I don't know how I lived without this amazing feature, but its no substitute the old mouse. Sometimes you need a cheap mouse to help you with some things.

But for Internet navigation and between applications in iMac this feature is ****ing amazing!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.