Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old Nov 29, 2012, 06:36 PM   #26
mikeydeezy
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: MN, USA
Quote:
Originally Posted by mykem View Post
Here's mine after a month and a half of use without a case from day one (arrived in immaculate condition). Daily use includes sometime going to construction site, daily walk with my dog (pulling it in/out often to snap photos), trip to the gym and constantly going in and out of my jean's front pocket. The only precaution I take is making sure my keys and coins go into different pockets.

While I don't think there's anything wrong with scuffed phone, my opinion is that with minimal effort (provided your phone arrived with no anodizing defect) the iPhone 5 finish can stay scuff-free (or with minor scuffing, chipping) for quite a while.

Bah! It's so ugly and stock! Why don't you drop it a few times first?
__________________
"Being the richest man in the cemetery doesn't matter to me. ... Going to bed at night saying we've done something wonderful -- that's what matters to me." - Steve Jobs
mikeydeezy is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 29, 2012, 07:01 PM   #27
Richard Peters
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: London, UK
Mine looked like new still until about 10 minutes ago. It fell out jeans pocket on to tiled bathroom floor and that's resulted in a 'flattened' corner near headphone socket. Wouldn't mind but in order for the corner to flatten, it's pushed the aluminium up so there is now a small ridge at the back where the aluminium meets the glass. Annoying as it catches on my leather case now.

Oh well, least now it's got some battle damage I can stop worrying about it!
__________________
My photography portfolios | blog | 500px
Richard Peters is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 29, 2012, 07:18 PM   #28
pablo7
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: LOS ANGELES, CA.
The koolaid is strong in the OP.

That looks like ass.
pablo7 is offline   15 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 29, 2012, 07:22 PM   #29
haruhiko
macrumors 68030
 
haruhiko's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Whoooooooops.
__________________
Mac: rMBP'12, iMac'08/24", Mini'09, MBP'10/15", MBA'11/13". iPhone: 5s/64S 5/64B, 4S/64W, 4/32B, 3GS/16. iPT: 3G,1G. iPad: Air,Mini2,4,3/LTE/64 2/3G/32, 1/WiFi/16. ATV'12,'11, AEBS'09, TC'13/2TB
haruhiko is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 29, 2012, 07:22 PM   #30
NovemberWhiskey
macrumors 65816
 
Join Date: May 2009
lol. Denial helps sometimes.
NovemberWhiskey is offline   5 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 29, 2012, 08:21 PM   #31
sulpfiction
macrumors 68020
 
sulpfiction's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Philadelphia Area
Sorry bro, that looks like total assjuice. Nothing pretty about it at all. I'll take my mint, scuff free 5. Thank u.
sulpfiction is offline   6 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 29, 2012, 10:59 PM   #32
GeorgieAcevedo
Thread Starter
macrumors 6502a
 
GeorgieAcevedo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: New York City
Yeah totally in denial cuz it's so not easy to go to apple and get a exchange lol I LIKE MY PHONE LIKE THIS. It's all about preference.
GeorgieAcevedo is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 30, 2012, 01:33 AM   #33
Grolubao
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
I think it's very entertaining that people for the sake of loving a brand even appreciate the fact that a purchased device is very prone to scratching like this and are happy with the scratching, seriously...
Grolubao is offline   6 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 30, 2012, 01:48 AM   #34
haruhiko
macrumors 68030
 
haruhiko's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grolubao View Post
I think it's very entertaining that people for the sake of loving a brand even appreciate the fact that a purchased device is very prone to scratching like this and are happy with the scratching, seriously...
well said
__________________
Mac: rMBP'12, iMac'08/24", Mini'09, MBP'10/15", MBA'11/13". iPhone: 5s/64S 5/64B, 4S/64W, 4/32B, 3GS/16. iPT: 3G,1G. iPad: Air,Mini2,4,3/LTE/64 2/3G/32, 1/WiFi/16. ATV'12,'11, AEBS'09, TC'13/2TB
haruhiko is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 30, 2012, 01:54 AM   #35
swervinsuburban
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
I think it's defective coating as I have dropped my phone, scratched it with a needle on accident, and ran an aluminum bumper along it on accident when I was trying to put it on and haven't done any damage to it, seems like maybe they skipped a part in the coating process on accident in the beginning maybe
swervinsuburban is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 30, 2012, 09:25 AM   #36
GeorgieAcevedo
Thread Starter
macrumors 6502a
 
GeorgieAcevedo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: New York City
Lmao you guys jinxed my iPhone. I had it in between my legs, got out my car forgetting it was there and it fell on the concrete. I have a Genius Bar appointment in a hour. I liked my scuffed phone!!!
GeorgieAcevedo is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 30, 2012, 09:35 AM   #37
Bugeyeblue
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeorgieAcevedo View Post
Lmao you guys jinxed my iPhone. I had it in between my legs, got out my car forgetting it was there and it fell on the concrete. I have a Genius Bar appointment in a hour. I liked my scuffed phone!!!
What's it look like now? Pics?
Bugeyeblue is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 30, 2012, 09:38 AM   #38
GeorgieAcevedo
Thread Starter
macrumors 6502a
 
GeorgieAcevedo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: New York City
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bugeyeblue View Post
What's it look like now? Pics?
The top glass and top corner are cracked. I'm at work I don't have my other iPhone with me to snap pics.
GeorgieAcevedo is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 30, 2012, 01:02 PM   #39
jrasero
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: NYC
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeorgieAcevedo View Post
The top glass and top corner are cracked. I'm at work I don't have my other iPhone with me to snap pics.
I think you are in the minority of people that loved a scuffed phone

but each to their own

I have mine cased up for that very reason

The Black IMO looks great but showing silver under bezel is just puts me off

and no worn jeans don't look good to me. I'd rather have jeans with no holes and jeans that are more solid
jrasero is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 30, 2012, 01:17 PM   #40
GeorgieAcevedo
Thread Starter
macrumors 6502a
 
GeorgieAcevedo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: New York City
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrasero View Post
I think you are in the minority of people that loved a scuffed phone

but each to their own

I have mine cased up for that very reason

The Black IMO looks great but showing silver under bezel is just puts me off

and no worn jeans don't look good to me. I'd rather have jeans with no holes and jeans that are more solid
Well now I have a brand new all black, I purchased a black bumper from amazon I would use it when it arrives. Basically the only case ive ever like, well if you consider that a case.
__________________
I do have an iPhone, iPad & MacBook. But why do I have to put it here? Why would you care?
GeorgieAcevedo is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 30, 2012, 02:42 PM   #41
swervinsuburban
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeorgieAcevedo View Post
Well now I have a brand new all black, I purchased a black bumper from amazon I would use it when it arrives. Basically the only case ive ever like, well if you consider that a case.
If you like the phone that way then keep it that way, you should do what you like not what other people think looks good.
swervinsuburban is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 30, 2012, 03:41 PM   #42
jctevere
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
The bumper case eliminated any scuffing on the sides at all, and offers great drop protection (tested that out a few times accidentally). I don't bother to get any front or back plastic protectors.

For what its worth, a black sharpie marker almost perfectly blends in to that black band when dried and is a GREAT touch-up solution if it bothers you.
jctevere is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 30, 2012, 06:14 PM   #43
GeorgieAcevedo
Thread Starter
macrumors 6502a
 
GeorgieAcevedo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: New York City
Quote:
Originally Posted by jctevere View Post
The bumper case eliminated any scuffing on the sides at all, and offers great drop protection (tested that out a few times accidentally). I don't bother to get any front or back plastic protectors.

For what its worth, a black sharpie marker almost perfectly blends in to that black band when dried and is a GREAT touch-up solution if it bothers you.
What it you get some sharpie on the back of the phone ? Lol
GeorgieAcevedo is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 30, 2012, 08:13 PM   #44
Appl3FTW
macrumors 65816
 
Appl3FTW's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by sulpfiction View Post
Sorry bro, that looks like total assjuice. Nothing pretty about it at all. I'll take my mint, scuff free 5. Thank u.
Lulz assjuice
Appl3FTW is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 30, 2012, 11:21 PM   #45
DoNoHarm
macrumors 65816
 
DoNoHarm's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: SFO
I think it looks great, like a well traveled camera. I'm keeping my white one case free too.
DoNoHarm is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 1, 2012, 12:54 AM   #46
SomeDudeAsking
macrumors 65816
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
There is a lot of denial in this thread. That iPhone looks bad and shows just how poorly designed it is for daily use. I have a scratched up car you can buy, it will save you the time of scratching it your self.
SomeDudeAsking is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 1, 2012, 01:04 AM   #47
DoNoHarm
macrumors 65816
 
DoNoHarm's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: SFO
http://thoughtfuldesign.net/how-will-the-iphone5-wear
DoNoHarm is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 1, 2012, 01:09 AM   #48
F123D
macrumors 68040
 
F123D's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: SoCal
Quote:
Originally Posted by DoNoHarm View Post
__________________
Jailbroken iPhone 3G -> Jailbroken iPhone 4 -> iPhone 5 -> Galaxy Note II -> Nexus 5
F123D is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 1, 2012, 01:13 AM   #49
SomeDudeAsking
macrumors 65816
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
I can give your iPhone a free treatment to make it look like it has a cool worn down look: I will throw it in a dryer with some rocks for 5 minutes. All you have to pay is shipping and handling.
SomeDudeAsking is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 1, 2012, 03:07 AM   #50
lke
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
A bend iphone 5 is so sexy that I could not resist touching one.

Also that old look is amazing, I could not imagine how bad it will look after one year or two years.

In 7 years the iphone 5 will auto destruct, maybe it was built with this in mind. It uses advanced systems of recycle. Go keep building auto destructive products they are sexier and cooler.

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by swervinsuburban View Post
I think it's defective coating as I have dropped my phone, scratched it with a needle on accident, and ran an aluminum bumper along it on accident when I was trying to put it on and haven't done any damage to it, seems like maybe they skipped a part in the coating process on accident in the beginning maybe
Maybe you are right, I could not think that a company like Apple could keep building products that auto destruct alone.

Also the bend issue maybe it was fixed already with new iphones and later they will release a better frame to avoid the bend issue if drop or in other situations.
lke is offline   0 Reply With Quote

Reply
MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Similar Threads
thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Did my scuffed iPhone just become cool? Raggsokk iPhone 36 Jun 2, 2013 04:46 PM
Scuffed iPhone Question applefanboy5 iPhone 9 Dec 25, 2012 04:16 PM
Are black iPhone 5's still scuffed? applefanboy5 iPhone 10 Oct 19, 2012 11:17 AM
iPhone 5's still scuffed? Yankeesxd iPhone 26 Oct 15, 2012 07:12 AM
Even if it doesn't come scuffed out of the box, will it eventually get scuffed? Action iPhone 15 Sep 24, 2012 12:40 AM

Forum Jump

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:39 PM.

Mac Rumors | Mac | iPhone | iPhone Game Reviews | iPhone Apps

Mobile Version | Fixed | Fluid | Fluid HD
Copyright 2002-2013, MacRumors.com, LLC