Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

turtlez

macrumors 6502a
Jun 17, 2012
I am glad to see this, now the price tag isn't the only thing throwing me out lol

washburn

macrumors 6502a
Apr 8, 2010
Beside the screen issue, the iMac is an excellent computer. I probably just got a bad unit.

no you didn't, I just checked mine heres whats going on with mine....

firstly when you take the black background photo it looks nothing like that in person, the iPhone camera (i'm using iPhone 5 maybe the camera works differently and doesn't make yellow on white screen?) actually starts glowing up like that

now for the white background shot I'm not getting anything like in yours, so if you CAN see yellow on a white background in person than maybe yours is defective

Attachments

• IMG_0164.JPG
    IMG_0164.JPG
    974.9 KB · Views: 291
  • IMG_0165.JPG
    IMG_0165.JPG
    1.6 MB · Views: 266

Trojans

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 11, 2012

firstly when you take the black background photo it looks nothing like that in person, the iPhone camera (i'm using iPhone 5 maybe the camera works differently and doesn't make yellow on white screen?) actually starts glowing up like that

now for the white background shot I'm not getting anything like in yours, so if you CAN see yellow on a white background in person than maybe yours is defective

The black background seems worse than mine to me. Or is it because of camera?

washburn

macrumors 6502a
Apr 8, 2010
The black background seems worse than mine to me. Or is it because of camera?

I think its camera because its all black when you see it in person and theres slight backlight bleed like on every other monitor, when I held the iPhone to take a shot the yellow glow was getting bigger and bigger

Trojans

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 11, 2012
I think its camera because its all black when you see it in person and theres slight backlight bleed like on every other monitor, when I held the iPhone to take a shot the yellow glow was getting bigger and bigger

It's not just the photo. I saw it myself in person, and that's why I took the photo.:( Maybe, I'm just gonna exchange it and see what happens. You know we have paid a lot of money for this, and we SHOULDN't deserve this. @_@

Siderz

macrumors 6502a
Nov 10, 2012
That definitely doesn't look right, and I hope none of us were expecting the new iMac to be problem-free.

I can't quite see anything on the white screen, looks uneven, looks like vignette of a camera, but that black screen definitely seems to have a problem.

I do hope it's just some glue that still hasn't properly dried yet (As what happened with the iPhone 4 and some early iMac 27" models - At least I think it was glue that caused it on the iMac, it's definitely glue on the iPhone 4) or otherwise just your camera catching some moiré pattern.

I think you should take it in ASAP.

washburn

macrumors 6502a
Apr 8, 2010
I actually don't have a problem with mine, because the black is nothing like that photo theres maybe slight lightbleed in corners but its exactly the same like on any lcd panel I've seen

XionCore

macrumors member
Nov 27, 2012
Take it in. The display shoud show much more uniformity than this. Looks like my Kindle Paperwhite..

Trojans

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 11, 2012

I re-take some photos with Canon camera.

Attachments

• IMG_2173.JPG
    IMG_2173.JPG
    3.3 MB · Views: 236
  • IMG_2174.JPG
    IMG_2174.JPG
    1,004.2 KB · Views: 175

bobright

macrumors 601
Jun 29, 2010
Here you go, the black photo.

Wow, this is the exact crap I'm talking about that is not acceptable. I'm thinking of canceling the order on my 27" until they clean these screens up a couple months down the line.

justperry

macrumors G5
Aug 10, 2007
I'm a rolling stone.
The Apple menu bar

Some comforting words, relax there are a lot of worse things in life.

There is warranty on the iMac so no worries, yes it is a hassle and yes it seems to be too much bleeding and yellow tint.

Just call the Apple store if you bought it there or Apple, expain the situation and that you'll bring it in if it is still the same in 1 week.
I would just wait a week, it is a brand new iMac, the yellow tint may fade although I think the bleeding will not.

I have quite an expensive TV, yes LG (IPS Panel) and it has some bleeding in the corners, there will probably always a bit of bleeding on LCD's, except Full leds maybe.

Oh and in a related topic you said:

My wonderful night just gone.

Just don't think of it, it's not worth the stress.:cool:

Edit:

The Apple menu bar.

LOL:)

bobright

macrumors 601
Jun 29, 2010

There is warranty on the iMac so no worries, yes it is a hassle and yes it seems to be too much bleeding and yellow tint.

Just call the Apple store if you bought it there or Apple, expain the situation and that you'll bring it in if it is still the same in 1 week.
I would just wait a week, it is a brand new iMac, the yellow tint may fade although I think the bleeding will not.

I have quite an expensive TV, yes LG (IPS Panel) and it has some bleeding in the corners, there will probably always a bit of bleeding on LCD's, except Full leds maybe.

Edit:

Yes, I have a Samsung LED that cost me nearly three grand some flashlighting/bleed in the corners is normal his screen is not it is awful and unacceptable. I sure as hell will not accept it on my 27".

Trojans

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 11, 2012

Edit:

I appreciate that

turtlez

macrumors 6502a
Jun 17, 2012

i can see some yellow on the right side of yours. not as extreme as OP but it's there. Hope it is just the glue setting for your sake

BasK

macrumors newbie
Jan 19, 2012
You cant use a photo to judge the light bleeding on a black background. Any display will show light bleeds if you expose it long enough. If you make this photo with an iPhone, it will see just black so lengthen its exposure. I believe the TS has this problem, but use your eyes to judge this problem not a camera.

ipodmac

macrumors regular
Sep 23, 2012
UK
So has every single person with the 21 inch model got this issue? If so its going to be expensive for apple

justperry

macrumors G5
Aug 10, 2007
I'm a rolling stone.
So has every single person with the 21 inch model got this issue? If so its going to be expensive for apple

There always have been issues like these on panels but this is one of the forums they show up, it might be only 1 in a 100s or even 1000s.

People who don't have issues don't report.

strongs

macrumors member
Jul 16, 2012
United Kingdom
:eek:

Can I ask how you performed these tests? (like how did you get a completely white and black desktop?)

The reason I ask is my iMac is being delivered next week and I would like to perform the same test.

Me Mac noobie :rolleyes:

washburn

macrumors 6502a
Apr 8, 2010
I used Screen Utility found it in the App Store, it has a pixel tester which you can change the screen to different colours

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.