Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

strongs

macrumors member
Jul 16, 2012
United Kingdom
Relax, you don't know that one yet, as I said before you will only see people with issues here, people without problems won't report.

I have a few other hobbies that also have online Internet forums and paranoia seems to surround them all.

If I never joined these forums I wouldn't notice more than half of these "issues" :rolleyes:

Nandifix

macrumors 6502
May 10, 2012
Hmm I wonder if this is just the glue or an actual issue... I would advise getting longer warranty!

justperry

macrumors G5
Aug 10, 2007
I'm a rolling stone.
I have a few other hobbies that also have online Internet forums and paranoia seems to surround them all.

If I never joined these forums I wouldn't notice more than half of these "issues" :rolleyes:

Just ignore all media, get pissed/l**d all day/every day are better hobbies and less stress.:D

MeFromHere

macrumors 6502
Oct 11, 2012
Here you go, the black photo.
I put an all-black image on the new 21.5" display model in the store yesterday, and I did NOT notice any non-uniformity like this. I had no control over the room lighting; perhaps I would have seen imperfections in a much darker room.

boy-better-know

macrumors 65816
Jun 30, 2010
England
If my 27" looks like that when i get it it is going straight back to Apple. Not spending stupid money on something with a yellow screen.

Overg

macrumors 6502
May 26, 2012
Pshhh! What is going here :)
Before taking a pic like that there are few parameters to check.
For instance what is the level of brightness???
Did you pull it all the way up, if so, I wouldn't expect something different other then what you see.
Lower the brightness and the contrast a bit and then tell what you see.
Light bleeding is normal for LCD, and screens in general, on some levels.

teerexx52

macrumors 68020
May 1, 2005
Florida West Coast
I just got a base model at the Apple Store yesterday. My first imac since the original yellow screen issues of several years ago. After spending a day with this one my wife both agree the screen is evenly lit with now yellowing. I have yet to test for light bleed. I like the screen. Good color and brightness..

justperry

macrumors G5
Aug 10, 2007
I'm a rolling stone.
I just got a base model at the Apple Store yesterday. My first imac since the original yellow screen issues of several years ago. After spending a day with this one my wife both agree the screen is evenly lit with now yellowing. I have yet to test for light bleed. I like the screen. Good color and brightness..

Good for you (genuine), I am happy that at least one user reports here without yellowing, there seems to be people panicking on MR, even people which didn't get theirs yet!

Relax people, most will be OK, and even if you get one, it can be solved.

teerexx52

macrumors 68020
May 1, 2005
Florida West Coast
Good for you (genuine), I am happy that at least one user reports here without yellowing, there seems to be people panicking on MR, even people which didn't get theirs yet!

Relax people, most will be OK, and even if you get one, it can be solved.

Thanks! I had huge problems with yellowing on my iMac 27" several years ago. Finally gave up so I was hesitant to try another but my wife and I have looked this one over very carefully and it does seem fine. Good luck to everyone:)

imjoee

macrumors 6502
Jun 12, 2012
I'm not sure if this is normal or not. I just tested my brand new iMac 21.5

Take a look at the lower right hand corner. Do you see any problem??? Or maybe just my eyes are too sensitive.

There is also a problem of back lighting. Take a look it. That's unacceptable.
If anyone of you have 2012 iMac, I suggest you to test the display first as you have probably paid a lot of money for it.

Id return it for a new one, I'm paying enough money for a flawless Mac, I better get a flawless Mac.

Apr 17, 2005
Currently in Switzerland
In the old days things were made to last, nowadays things gets engineered to last for a set time/break after a set time to maximize profits.

But, I am hijacking this thread, enough.

You mean, like the Apple ///? ;) problems happen all the time - the difference is that we hear about them more easily with the Internet...

sectime

macrumors 6502a
Jul 29, 2007
I'm already geting angry and cursing apple that I HAVE GOT a defective iMac and I haven't even got it yet lol :p
Yup the new version of macrumors members. To these posters who have this screen issue, how does it look when ,you know use it like a normal person does?
:apple:

CaptMike

macrumors regular
Mar 27, 2012
Looks pretty good to me, my advise is to not look for little defects like that as every iMac will have it to some degree.

"Pretty good" does not cut it when you are paying this kind of money.

Yes, I do see the defect

Siderz

macrumors 6502a
Nov 10, 2012
Relax, you don't know that one yet, as I said before you will only see people with issues here, people without problems won't report.

You have a point, I guess I'll make a thread (Or post in this thread) when mine arrives even if the screen is fine.

I feel optimistic about it tbh.

Yamcha

macrumors 68000
Mar 6, 2008
That looks awful, I'd return it for a replacement. Truth be told I've owned about 4 different iMacs, and every single one of them had either yellow tinting or dead/stuck pixels, even my current one.

But It's important to understand that it's nearly impossible to get an IPS display without some uniformity, backlight bleed, or yellow tinting issues.

I think iMacs in particular though seem to have a higher dead/stuck pixel count, I know many users on Apple forums who have had dead/stuck pixels or yellow tinting, and despite them replacing it multiple times they ended with the same problem..

The difference is probably that the vast majority of users don't really notice these, fact is iMac displays have pretty high pixel density, and it's not obviously evident unless you look really closely..

talmy

macrumors 601
Oct 26, 2009
Oregon
It's to be expected. For a case of deja vu, read this three year old thread when the last new iMacs came out:

https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/824940/

No such thing as "perfection" but you can get close if you are willing to pay more for a professional monitor than the iMac alone! For critical uses, just connect a high quality monitor and use as a second display.

2contagious

macrumors 6502a
Apr 29, 2008
UK
Ah yes, there we go. The lovely yellow tinge issue :) Not like the 2011 model of the iMac didn't have it. With Apple devices, the screen is always a lottery... they just don't seem to put much effort into providing good quality screens.

Regular MacBook Pros have TN panels with backlight bleeding, Retina MacBook Pros have IPS screens (if LG) with Image Retention issues (Samsung panels don't but they often have yellow tinge issues), iMacs often have yellow tinge issues and/or backlight bleeding. iPad 2 and iPad 3 had yellow tinge issues and backlight bleeding, so did many iPhones. Apple needs to put more effort in providing good quality screens. Dead pixels, backlight bleeding, image retention, and yellow tinges are unacceptable. It's the very reason I am waiting for a worthy Mac Pro replacement (which Tim Cook mentioned in an eMail) - No built in screen ;)

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.