Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Diabeetus

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 4, 2007
I'm on a 2010 MBP, and I've gotten a new internal hard drive. Before installing it I want to make sure that I can make a bootable flash drive or external firewire drive, as an image of the SL install disk.

My recovery discs are MIA at the moment.

I've done this before with success, on this computer, and a 2006 iMac. For some reason or another, it's not working when I need it most.

Both drives are Mac OS Journaled, GUID partitioned, with a full restore of the SL dmg. When I open both drives in finder, the resulting windows are exactly that of the DVD, down to the graphic. Though they show up in the available drives list, they won't boot. The access indicator lights on both of the drives don't show any activity when I'm faced with the Apple logo on the gray screen.

I've given both drives at least an hour or two to boot, because I know it usually just takes awhile. To no avail.

Intell

macrumors P6
Jan 24, 2010
Inside
That Macbook will not boot with a retail Snow Leopard disc. Only with its restore discs.

Intell

macrumors P6
Jan 24, 2010
Inside
Mostly true. You need a 10.6.3 OS Retail disk. 10.6.0 won't boot it.

A 10.6.3 retail disc won't boot on that machine either. That machine's build is newer than the retail build and the retail disc doesn't have the needed kexts.

Intell

macrumors P6
Jan 24, 2010
Inside
Retail 10.6.3 discs won't boot Mac models released in 2010 or later, without panicking or being very unstable. 10.6.3 came out in March. The first 2010 model Mac came out in April with a special build. All other 2010 Macs running 10.6.3 also came with a special build that is newer than the retail build and contain machine specific kexts.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.