Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

stubeeef

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Aug 10, 2004
:eek: When I open the finder menu, I noticed under "shared" my kids computers and one called "tahasf-willist"
It is listed as a PC and I can't connect to it.
I kick it off by turning wifi off, but soon after (5-15 minutes later) it's back on.
I have no idea who it is, and there is only one PC in the house on the wireless.
I have a wireless password and but I also have 3 daughters that are doing god knows what on the internet half the time.
How can I find out who/what that is?

stubeeef

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Aug 10, 2004
I'm using a time machine, how do I get the MAC address?
I can't connect to it and don't know how to find an address.

this is all I can get-I don't know that much about the networking/hacking world.

Screen_Shot_2012-11-29_at_5_46_28_PM.png

stubeeef

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Aug 10, 2004
I noticed it was on my iMac but not on the shared of another iMac.
I have Airport Utility up and I have the addresses of everything that's on the wireless router, next time it comes up on the finder as shared-it will have to be the new address-I'll try and track from there I guess.

ConCat

macrumors 6502a
It's pretty simple. Assuming you have the latest version of airport utility, just click on your router, and hover over the computer, the Hardware Address is what you should use. It's improperly labeled there in typical Apple fashion. It should be labeled as MAC Address.

stubeeef

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Aug 10, 2004
Well it popped up this morning-got the address and found out it was APPLE!
Why are they on my iMac---is there a setting somewhere I've screwed up and allowed this....or something else? I checked another iMac in the house and it doesn't seem to be happening on that one.
Here is what the hardware address gave me...
normal_Screen_Shot_2012-11-30_at_7_47_34_AM.png

Or is it just an apple product and could be an individual? It isn't an iPhone in the house I checked all the hardware numbers-hmmm

stubeeef

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Aug 10, 2004
I'm using a time capsule with a code WPA2 but the firewall on my computer isn't on.
I'm going to turn it on and see if it comes back..

edit: Firewall was/is on

switon

macrumors 6502a
Sep 10, 2012
RE: that MAC address was originally assigned to Apple, not...

Well it popped up this morning-got the address and found out it was APPLE!
Why are they on my iMac---is there a setting somewhere I've screwed up and allowed this....or something else? I checked another iMac in the house and it doesn't seem to be happening on that one.
Here is what the hardware address gave me...

Or is it just an apple product and could be an individual? It isn't an iPhone in the house I checked all the hardware numbers-hmmm

Hi stubeeef,

This means the MAC address you found was assigned to the Apple, Inc. company to use as they pleased, and Apple gave it to whatever device you are finding on your network. It does NOT mean that Apple, Inc. is "on" your network. It does mean that some other piece of Apple equipment is on your network, and that could be anything from another router, TC, MBP, iPhone, iPad, ATV, iPod touch, AEB, AE, etc.

Switon

P.S. Do you have a Guest Network enabled on your TC? ...perhaps without a WPA2 password? If so, then any "guest" may connect to your TC's Guest Network.

If I were you, I would just record the MAC address that you are offended by, and then in the Airport Utilities Network pane, enable the Timed Access Control and add that offending MAC address and give it "No Access". Enter all of the MAC addresses of your other devices and give them "Everyday" access. Restarting your TC will then not allow that MAC address to connect to your TC. You will probably discover that one of your devices no longer is connected to your TC (perhaps an iPad, iPhone, etc.). Once you figure out which device has the offending MAC address, then you can return to Airport Utility and change the access for that MAC address from "No Access" to "Everyday".

Last edited:

switon

macrumors 6502a
Sep 10, 2012
RE: Firewall should always be on...

I'm using a time capsule with a code WPA2 but the firewall on my computer isn't on.
I'm going to turn it on and see if it comes back..

edit: Firewall was/is on

Hi stubeeef,

In my opinion, your computer's Firewall should always be on. Never turn it off -- that is, if you are concerned about security.

Switon

stubeeef

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Aug 10, 2004
here is what I've found..

I would like to find the physical address of the IP
Screen_Shot_2012-11-30_at_8_12_28_AM.png

I'm going to be embarrased if it's in my house..

switon

macrumors 6502a
Sep 10, 2012

Hummm...your two screen shots don't jive!? The first one showed a MAC address that was assigned to Apple, the last one showed a different MAC address that was assigned to Intel. There is some confusion here.

Good luck,
Switon

Last edited:

switon

macrumors 6502a
Sep 10, 2012
RE: Timed Access Control....

So, using the Timed Access Control on your TC, you can keep the offending MAC address from connecting to your network.

Switon

Last edited:

JAT

macrumors 603
Dec 31, 2001
Mpls, MN
I had something like this. Finally found a screen in my router that explained it is my printer. The printer is set up for scanning, so it shows up as a server in Finder. Or something like that. Now I just ignore it.

cgk.emu

macrumors 6502
May 16, 2012
So, using the Timed Access Control on your TC, you can keep the offending MAC address from connecting to your network.

This only stops the newest of noobs. It's always a hoot seeing non security people give security advice. Is it worth enabling? Sure...but, if the OP doesn't know what he is doing, and it seems like he doesn't, I wouldn't waste my time trying to explain.

As far as setting up a RADIUS server...why oh why would you suggest this on a HOME network? This is for WPA-2 Enterprise security. RADIUS servers are finicky to say the least, having an inexperienced home user set it up is 1) never going to happen, and 2) even if they get it set up they won't know how to properly administer/secure it so it would just be one more point of failure/entry for zomg teh bad ppls (or printers...oh speaking of, hackers can get in through printers, I personally know this, it's fun. The "moral" of the story is, no you aren't being hacked as a home user. You don't have anything of value!! It really irks me to hear "omfg I'm totes getting hax0red! by home users. No. No you aren't. You might be a target of a phishing scam down the road...it's much MUCH easier for a malicious hacker to gather info from super inexperienced home users by employing those tactics...okay so let's review: don't even attempt to set up a RADIUS server, that's a ridiculous idea, you aren't being hacked, learn what hacking actually is and involves, a strong WPA-2 password is really all you need as a home user, even those can be hacked...and it doesn't take that much. Also, if you are REALLY concerned, don't even use wireless. Any wireless really sucks hardcore in terms of security. Give someone enough time, they get enough IVs, and boom goes your wireless key.)

Last edited:

justperry

macrumors G5
Aug 10, 2007
I'm a rolling stone.

Download IP Scanner, the normal one is free and it allows you to see devices on your network, most of the time it will also tell you what kind of a device it is-Mac-TV-Mobile-etc. even my Settopbox Dreambox shows up with brand.

IP Scanner

stubeeef

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Aug 10, 2004
First, thanks for the help gang-It has been a great learning exercise-turns out it was a known device in the house...my panic was unfounded I suppose. It was weird because it would show up as a shared device on my iMac but no other Macs in the house. Like it was attached to this one..freaked me out.
I'm not offended by any terms that speak of me poorly in this realm as I will admit it. My weaknesses are around networking and security-no question. I should probably take a course or two on the subject-not sure if the apple store does classes on that or not.
I'm grateful for the help and I've installed the IP Scanner too, probably wouldn't stop or show anyone with talent-but anyone with talent would quickly learn I've got nothing to bother with taking either!

justperry

macrumors G5
Aug 10, 2007
I'm a rolling stone.
First, thanks for the help gang-It has been a great learning exercise-turns out it was a known device in the house...my panic was unfounded I suppose. It was weird because it would show up as a shared device on my iMac but no other Macs in the house. Like it was attached to this one..freaked me out.
I'm not offended by any terms that speak of me poorly in this realm as I will admit it. My weaknesses are around networking and security-no question. I should probably take a course or two on the subject-not sure if the apple store does classes on that or not.
I'm grateful for the help and I've installed the IP Scanner too, probably wouldn't stop or show anyone with talent-but anyone with talent would quickly learn I've got nothing to bother with taking either!

Today I opened IP Scanner and I saw three Devices with an Windows Icon before it, my Wireless network has WPA2 so the chance somebody breaks into is lower.
What it turned out to be is this.
I am connected with a 3G USB dongle (In Asia) and those devices were PC's on the same IP range.
That's just unacceptable, that I can see Users on a Cell Towers network, it also goes the other way around.
I could even connect to one and see his C and E HDD's and Users.:eek:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.