Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

bowmacwood

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 1, 2012
Good day. I have converted content to MP4 using videora and I am finding that the STREAMING will often stop mid show. The files are not that large as the content is only 45 minutes (TV show) After the standard reboot/reset/cold boot I can get it going -- obviously not the best experience:

a) My home WIFI is very stable with a fairly new ACTIONTEC router
b) everything is on latest version 5.1.1 and itunes 11

I am wondering what I could/should test to understand the reasons for the flakiness of streaming to apple 3

thank you in advance

spacepower7

macrumors 68000
May 6, 2004
Good day. I have converted content to MP4 using videora and I am finding that the STREAMING will often stop mid show. The files are not that large as the content is only 45 minutes (TV show) After the standard reboot/reset/cold boot I can get it going -- obviously not the best experience:

a) My home WIFI is very stable with a fairly new ACTIONTEC router
b) everything is on latest version 5.1.1 and itunes 11

I am wondering what I could/should test to understand the reasons for the flakiness of streaming to apple 3

thank you in advance

I'll take try with this.

I assume you're using a PC?

This videora seems like a bunch of similar software out there that are all written by the same company under differents names. While the videora software may be fine for converting files that are viewed locally ie on the computer the may not correctly optimize the video file for streaming to an AppleTV.

I would try open source software such as handbrake (it's free, PC, Mac, Linux), which many of us on this forum use. The interface may be daunting first but it's one of the best converters around.

What type of file is the original file? WMV,AvI, MKV? There may be better ways to convert it.

The more info you give us the faster we can help.

There is also the possibility that the AppleTV doesn't play well with your particular router, I've seen that happen with trying to stream from an iPad to an AppleTV.

If the mp4 file is written correctly, the AppleTV will try to load the video into its 8GB cache/buffer as fast as it can.

Is it possible that the computer went to sleep? It shouldn't but stranger things have happened.

There are so many things that could go wrong in any setup that the first step I would recommend in troubleshooting is to try to convert the original file with handbrake with the AppleTV 2 or 3 preset. If the problem persists, we will know that it isn't the video file.

Then we can help you troubleshoot the other devices if needed.

Good Luck

Idgit

macrumors 6502a
Mar 14, 2004
Assuming it's not an ATV 5.1.1 bug, I suggest using Handbrake for your encoding and be sure to enable the "web optimized" option. That option improves streaming of MP4s.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.