Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ferdinandcc

macrumors member
Jun 8, 2011
Caloocan City, Philippines
You may notice that my sentence begins with "What if". I have no knowledge or information about the private life of Mr. Tim Cook. I really have no specific interest either. I'm not sure what point you are trying to convey, but it doesn't seem like a very charitable one in any case. :) It is a well known fact that he is a gay man. For you to suggest that I was somehow making reference to that fact in a sniggering way only shows the shallowness of your own perception and thinking. How do you know I'm not gay?

I'd say it's a well known rumor he's gay, not a fact, unless he's confirmed it somewhere that I haven't seen. Either way, who cares?

AidenShaw

macrumors P6
Feb 8, 2003
The Peninsula
I'd say it's a well known rumor he's gay, not a fact, unless he's confirmed it somewhere that I haven't seen. Either way, who cares?

Yes - like Anderson Cooper wasn't gay for years, until he announced it?

And also yes - who cares?

But, a profile that omits a whole side of someone's life is incomplete.

Maybe he has a spouse, kids and a long term relationship. Or maybe he prefers Thai rentboys by the hour from Patpong. Either one is an interesting part of the story of the man.

bkushner

macrumors regular
Jan 29, 2011

Maybe he has a spouse, kids and a long term relationship. Or maybe he prefers Thai rentboys by the hour from Patpong. Either one is an interesting part of the story of the man.

Who someone fucs has nothing to do with running a corporation. Move along.

Rocketman

macrumors 603
Tim has a "Modern Family" - and such it's relevant for an interview.
NBC is a "progressive" network who was in the bag for Democrats and Obama during the election. It is unlikely they would highlight sexual preference when they can get a chit for taking it for granted on a known celeb.

This is the media prepping for the 2014 election and Obama has already started campaigning!

It turns out it is not whether or not it is a private matter. It is a continuing political matter.

Besides Aiden I suspect forwarding your personal agenda is top of stack for them.

Rocketman

Drunken Master

macrumors 65816
Jul 19, 2011
Based on the video clip, no one recognized Brian Williams either, even though he appears in front of millions of people every night, unlike Tim Cook.

I'm pretty sure the moral of the story is that a bunch of busy travelers aren't going to look twice at a couple of guys who look like businessmen walking through the terminal to catch a train.

Especially in NYC.

I hope that Brian Williams asks about Tim's husband/partner/boyfriends.

To not ask would be "dereliction of duty" as a journalist.

Not really.

Source: me, a journalist.

Unless he's banging someone who works at Google or something.

Otherwise, follow the money.

Technarchy

macrumors 604
May 21, 2012
Why do people care if Tim Cook if is a homosexual or not?

Strange thing to be concerned about, or want to delve into.

KTF

macrumors regular
Aug 16, 2010
New York City

He NoT Going To Ask ... NBC They Are Extremely Liberal And Briam Willian Is A Joke!

----------

It's New York...we take pride in our pretend indifference to celebrity.

Very different than California where blatant celebrity worship is the norm.
Well Said NYC don't give a damn!

----------

NBC Sucks!

ciaran00

macrumors 6502
Mar 11, 2010

We all see you baiting here. Please stop.

Rogifan

macrumors Penryn
Nov 14, 2011

Why is that anyone's business? :confused:

----------

As big as Apple is, it's nice to see he can still lead a really private life.

Strange thing to be concerned about, or want to delve into.

I would imagine this interview is going to be about Apple not Tim Cook's personal life.

mylios101

macrumors newbie
Feb 16, 2008
Tim Cook went unrecognized? What about that guy that looked back for a second look right when Brian Williams said just that, at 0:19? lol

EricByer

macrumors member
Aug 16, 2012
I'd never heard that name before so I Googled it and checked out the quotes from the movie on IMDb. If the relevant quote there is accurate (he brings up the trains going through Grand Central Station), it's wrong. Subway trains do, in fact, go through Grand Central Station. But no trains go through Grand Central Terminal because it's the first/last stop on all the lines that serve it. :D

Yeah, the distinction you made reminded me of the riddle from the middle of the movie.

Futurix

macrumors 6502a
Nov 22, 2011
Strasbourg, France

Well, being gay I'm interested if the CEO of the biggest company in the world is gay as well. It's the visibility thing. GLBT community badly needs more of the "non-show-business" gays in the spotlight.

Plus he can be my sugar daddy :p

AidenShaw

macrumors P6
Feb 8, 2003
The Peninsula
Well, being gay I'm interested if the CEO of the biggest company in the world is gay as well. It's the visibility thing. GLBT community badly needs more of the "non-show-business" gays in the spotlight.

Plus he can be my sugar daddy :p

Exactly. It's about visibility, and having people across the spectrum of vocations being Proud.

MacDav

macrumors 65816
Mar 24, 2004

Apparently you care and find it quite interesting. I have zero interest in it. Whatever floats your boat.

AidenShaw

macrumors P6
Feb 8, 2003
The Peninsula
Apparently you care and find it quite interesting. I have zero interest in it. Whatever floats your boat.

I got a PM which expressed my thoughts better than I did.

It said:

Btw, I agree with your comments about the Tim interview. Treating all relationships with openess removes the unspoken taboo of not talking about non-mainstream living arrangements.

I was frankly surprised by the negative responses your comments received.

Could any profile of Brad Pitt ignore Angelina Jolie?

Of course not. Treating homosexual relationships as "off-limits" simply prolongs the "unspoken taboo".

Last edited:

mrxak

macrumors 68000
Personally, I'm interested in his life outside work, family/partner/love, etc.

Why?

Look, Steve Jobs was very private about his private life, why can't Tim Cook have the same privacy? If Tim Cook wants to invite an authorized biographer over and talk about everything, fine. But until that day comes, everyone should just mind their own business.

Tim Cook isn't some celebrity fame-whore with a publicist trying to get positive tabloid coverage to get better movie contracts, he's a businessman running a corporation. I don't care if he's gay, straight, bi, or asexual. I don't care if he has a husband, three wives, or a dozen cats. I don't care if he's got kids, who his parents are, or what he has for hobbies. All I care about him is what he brings to Apple when he shows up for work. For the life of me, I cannot fathom why anyone else on these forums cares about anything more than that.

Futurix

macrumors 6502a
Nov 22, 2011
Strasbourg, France
To be honest I don't care much about his private life as well - apart from the fact that he might be gay. I don't want to repeat myself about "visibility" etc - but a good analogy might be drawn to the feelings of African Americans when Obama was elected in 2008. It's a "feel good" thing for the entire community - especially when it's done by someone in his/her prime (Anderson Cooper) and not a publicity seeking has-been (Ricky Martin). Shows that discrimination is really going away and it is no longer a career/life obstacle.

MacDav

macrumors 65816
Mar 24, 2004
I got a PM which expressed my thoughts better than I did.

It said:

Could any profile of Brad Pitt ignore Angelina Jolie?

Of course not. Treating homosexual relationships as "off-limits" simply prolongs the "unspoken taboo".

Interesting...So you think what I said infers that homosexual relationships should be off-limits? I'd say your a little touchy on the subject. ;)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.