Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Jalopybox

macrumors 6502a
Nov 13, 2012
Show me one instance anywhere on the entire Internet or in the entire world where anyone with a bent iPhone 5 has proven that it wasn't bent with excessive force or some type of other accidental damage. If you can prove to me that any of these were damaged fom normal use then I will go out and buy a short yellow bus and drive out to you so you can make fun of me in person.

Mwahahaha. Don't believe it then. I see plenty of issues popping up for you where visual proof may be absent. :eek:

----------

For my sake I hope so because I can't afford a bus.

You won't be buying it, only picked up and dropped off each day. :eek:

vastoholic

macrumors 68000
Jan 28, 2009
Tulsa, OK
Mwahahaha. Don't believe it then. I see plenty of issues popping up for you where visual proof may be absent. :eek:

----------

You won't be buying it, only picked up and dropped off each day. :eek:

Well then please share it with the rest of us. Again, I'm not denying the phones bend. It's just how people are saying they bend that I don't believe, especially since I've been going caseless since launch day and doing the exact things that people claim has bent their phones. I won't believe until I see proof that a phone magically bends by itself inside a case.

Jsameds

Suspended
Apr 22, 2008
I don't see how people think just because you put a plastic and rubber case over a phone that it's somehow not bendable. Last time I tried, plastic and rubber both bent MORE than metal and therefore, Otterbox Defender or whatever, the phone can still bend in the case.

A weak metal structure will bend far easier than a rigid, purpose-built plastic polymer case.

Jalopybox

macrumors 6502a
Nov 13, 2012
Well then please share it with the rest of us. Again, I'm not denying the phones bend. It's just how people are saying they bend that I don't believe, especially since I've been going caseless since launch day and doing the exact things that people claim has bent their phones. I won't believe until I see proof that a phone magically bends by itself inside a case.

I discredit anyone who says they bend while untouched. What I did say was that people with bent phones who have not put them in a vice, dropped them, etc. who use them normally, may end up with a bent phone simply by having it in their pocket, backpack, etc. It takes very little force to bend these phones given the material Apple used. Non-tempered 6061 aluminum at that thickness is very pliable in comparison to the 4 and 4S. Inadvertent bent phones are going to happen with this model even without the user being aware.

vastoholic

macrumors 68000
Jan 28, 2009
Tulsa, OK
I discredit anyone who says they bend while untouched. What I did say was that people with bent phones who have not put them in a vice, dropped them, etc. who use them normally, may end up with a bent phone simply by having it in their pocket, backpack, etc. It takes very little force to bend these phones given the material Apple used. Non-tempered 6061 aluminum at that thickness is very pliable in comparison to the 4 and 4S. Inadvertent bent phones are going to happen with this model even without the user being aware.

Well put. It's still hard for me to think its that easy given the few claims we have seen out of the millions of phones out there. I will definitely agree that it is easier to bend than the older models. But I do not believe it is a flawed design. Just my personal opinion. Either way. I'm spending too much time arguing on the Internet so I'm going to step out for a bit and just observe.

I'm going to punch myself if my phone gets bent tomorrow.

VandyChem2009

macrumors 6502a
Oct 25, 2011
Houston, Texas
Well put. It's still hard for me to think its that easy given the few claims we have seen out of the millions of phones out there. I will definitely agree that it is easier to bend than the older models. But I do not believe it is a flawed design. Just my personal opinion. Either way. I'm spending too much time arguing on the Internet so I'm going to step out for a bit and just observe.

I'm going to punch myself if my phone gets bent tomorrow.

I would say this is a situation where the design is only flawed if it happens to you. I personally agree with you, but at the same time if my phone bends I'll be calling it a flawed design like everyone else.

iSensei

macrumors regular
Nov 25, 2012
So stop sitting on your ass with the phone in your back pocket. You Americans need warning labels on suppositories not to eat them... :D

Mrbobb

macrumors 603
Aug 27, 2012
Practical jokes from those Foxconn kids. :) Payback for forcing them work overtime.

Sherifftruman

macrumors 6502
Jun 23, 2010
I think people just don't realize how much pressure can be put on the phone when they sit down in jeans. Unless they are seriously loose and baggy, they are conforming to your body and where the front and back pockets are, your body curves. (shocker, I know ;) )

An Otterbox is strong enough to resist many impacts, but it's just plastic and rubber, right? It can still bend and if it bends, the phone can bend. Obviously where the holes are on the side there is less metal and it is weaker there. Bam, it fails.

I am pretty careful to take my phone out if my pocket when I sit down pretty much all the time now after reading these threads.

itjw

macrumors 65816
Dec 20, 2011
I dropped my phone from a height of no more than 4 inches onto a bed of fluffy pillows and it bent at a 90 degree angle!!!!

You have to believe me! This is the internet! (I'm also a French model ladies... call me).

Thus is the problem with these unbelieveable claims of damage. Be it "defective anodized coating" wiping off with a cloth, short drops onto soft surfaces causing catastrophic damage, or something as silly as spontaneous bending, it's just not very likely and therefore requires some PROOF.

Aluminum is easier to bend. Does it bend easy? Not really, just easi-ER than something like stainless steel. If you apply a lot of pressure you can break almost anything.

Thread solved. You broke your phone. AC+ or pay $229. It's no one's fault that it isn't indestructible. They don't even advertise it as highly durable for that matter. It's 100% on you.

Grolubao

macrumors 68000
Dec 23, 2008
London, UK
I don't need to prove anything here. My friend uses her iPhone in the back pocket, and never sat on it and the iPhone is slightly bended, not a lot, but I could notice it.

itjw

macrumors 65816
Dec 20, 2011
I don't need to prove anything here. My friend uses her iPhone in the back pocket, and never sat on it and the iPhone is slightly bended, not a lot, but I could notice it.

Sweet.

On an unrelated note, aliens abducted my phone... and when it came back it prints real $100 bills! (no proof sorry, I don't need to prove nuthin!)

Ahhh the internets...

:p

polish101

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 25, 2012
Apple CS sent the pics to engineering. They said don't sit on it and to put it in an Otter Box. CS told them it was in an Otter Box. CS agreed that it is everyday practice that people put their phones in their pockets and replaced the phone. Although I belive it was bent slightly during production and only got worse. Its like an aluminum antena on the old radios that gets slightly bent they are never the same after.

Givmeabrek

macrumors 68040
Apr 20, 2009
NY

No problem. Just turn it around the other way and sit on it. Should straighten it right out..... :cool:

macjoshua

macrumors 6502a
Mar 4, 2011
Nashville, TN
Maybe it's happening in the process of putting on and taking off cases. I had a hardshell case that fit my iPad really tight. The protection was great, but I noticed after I took the case off (which was a challenge) that the iPad was bent slightly at the bottom, where the most pressure had to be applied for removal.

I haven't used an Otterbox case, but maybe this is a possibility?

tensiondeadache

macrumors regular
Sep 18, 2012
Southern California
Maybe it's happening in the process of putting on and taking off cases. I had a hardshell case that fit my iPad really tight. The protection was great, but I noticed after I took the case off (which was a challenge) that the iPad was bent slightly at the bottom, where the most pressure had to be applied for removal.

I haven't used an Otterbox case, but maybe this is a possibility?

Pretty sure it's the cases

njean777

macrumors 6502
Oct 17, 2009
Mine bent also op, I have never dropped it at all, or even put any pressure on it aside from my front pants pocket. So yes this problem is real, no matter how many people say it is not.

Johnnymarks18

macrumors newbie
Dec 27, 2012
I actually too have bent my new iphone 5. No I don't have pictures, but I returned it to a Verizon wireless store. I have had it in an otterbox defender series case from day one. Never left it. To be honest, I think the case is the reason it bent. My brother was joking around, punched my leg, nicked the corner of my iphone, and when I turned my phone on coming out of the movie theater, I noticed (inside my case) that light was shining excessively from the top left corner backlight. I know that that usually means there is pressure on the glass. I took my phone out, thinking it was the case, but I soon found out my phone was bent on the left at the right of the volume down button and across the back left. I was sure pissed at my brother because I just had purchased it a couple weeks prior. Anyway, yes It did bend, while in a case. If you have an otter box, take your phone out and bend the case (without phone) from corner to diagnol corner and you may notice a twisting motion. My iphone 4 otterbox never bent like this. So I think because the phone case is longer (physics) that the bending is much larger. Because the phone is so tight in the case, the bending motion flows right through to the phone... Oh we'll, I complained to the Verizon store (hate their customer service btw) and they exchanged it. 300$ and a bent phone within 30 days of having it for two years, you bet your @ss I'm getting a free replacement...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.