Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Desktops > iMac

Old Nov 30, 2012, 08:34 PM   #51
mcpix
macrumors regular

I always thought that the magnets on the previous iMacs were a very clean and clever way to hold the glass in place. Plus, it ultimately allowed me to modify the screens on my iMacs.

It will be interesting to see the iFixit teardown to see how this new "gasket" works.
Old Nov 30, 2012, 09:41 PM   #52
PatrickNSF
macrumors member

OWC has a video showing how they opened the 21.5". It looks like more of a hassle than opening the 2011 and earlier iMacs.

http://bit.ly/11tqKZu
PatrickNSF is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 30, 2012, 09:58 PM   #53
RoastingPig
macrumors 65816

Send a message via AIM to RoastingPig
Quote:
Originally Posted by PatrickNSF View Post
OWC has a video showing how they opened the 21.5". It looks like more of a hassle than opening the 2011 and earlier iMacs.

http://bit.ly/11tqKZu
Dang! do you really have to shred thru all that adhesive? i thought all you needed was the magnets and boom it pops off.
Old Nov 30, 2012, 10:02 PM   #54
Johnf1285
macrumors 6502a

Looks very annoying. The i7 and 16gb option sounds better and better... Then again all of these iMacs were a chore to get inside of. I'd rather deal with reapplying 4 adhesive strips after servicing it than dealing with getting dust and dirt out from between a glass panel and LED screen.
Johnf1285 is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 30, 2012, 10:14 PM   #55
WilliamG
macrumors 601

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnf1285 View Post
Looks very annoying. The i7 and 16gb option sounds better and better... Then again all of these iMacs were a chore to get inside of. I'd rather deal with reapplying 4 adhesive strips after servicing it than dealing with getting dust and dirt out from between a glass panel and LED screen.
Agreed 100%. I've no idea what the fuss is about. A new adhesive strip is no issue.
Old Nov 30, 2012, 10:28 PM   #56
drambuie
macrumors 6502a

It looks like the 21.5" and 27" iMacs are constructed differently. On the 21.5" the components are mounted inside the back shell. From Apple's interior picture of the 27", the components are mounted on a chassis plate immediately behind the display. The back has to come off for access. So, I guess the procedure would be; detach the display, then unfasten the chassis from the back shell. With the 27" one could forgo the fusion drive upgrade, and replace the the 1TB HDD with a 512GB SSD, or larger when available.
drambuie is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 30, 2012, 10:35 PM   #57
jediDev
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by WilliamG View Post
Agreed 100%. I've no idea what the fuss is about. A new adhesive strip is no issue.
Have you seen anything about the putting it back together part? The slicing looks simple enough, and I wouldn't mind applying new adhesive, but how hard is it to get it seated back in position so that it looks right is my question.
Old Nov 30, 2012, 10:42 PM   #58
tom vilsack
macrumors 68000

After watching that video...note to self,have apple upgrade ram to 16 gig's from factory!
tom vilsack is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 1, 2012, 03:56 AM   #59
pubjoe
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnf1285 View Post
The dust was no issue, it took minutes to clean out, and if you missed a couple of grains the screen could be popped off again easily.

Re-applying the adhesive will be very very time consuming (emphasis on Re-). The old adhesive will cause a horrible mess unless it's thoroughly removed which can take several hours of painstaking scalping. Then, if you're a hair out of place when you re-attach the monitor, it's back to square one. Plus you better pray that all your upgrades work perfectly first time. For example, you might upgrade the ram on the 21" and then find that it fails memtest.

I think it will be rare that anyone even acheives a clean upgrade with a nice flush screen and no signs of adhesive or scratching.
pubjoe is offline   4 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 1, 2012, 07:20 AM   #60
Verenom
macrumors newbie

This has me a little worried. So is taking the screen apart the only way to upgrade the RAM?
Verenom is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 1, 2012, 07:44 AM   #61
bongpapst
macrumors newbie

Did i understand it right and he said: Under Logic Board u can set an SSD? Has the Logicboard a msata Connector?
bongpapst is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 1, 2012, 07:48 AM   #62
Ry.
macrumors member

Theres s little compartment behind the stand that you can open to change the ram. It just pops out.

Source: CNET's review video on youtube.
Ry. is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 1, 2012, 07:48 AM   #63
profets
macrumors 65816

iFixit teardown looks pretty thorough. 3/10 repairability (ouch).

http://www.ifixit.com/Teardown/iMac+...ardown/11936/4

Quote:
Originally Posted by bongpapst View Post
Did i understand it right and he said: Under Logic Board u can set an SSD? Has the Logicboard a msata Connector?
Looks like for the 21" you'd have to solder the msata connector on.
profets is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 1, 2012, 09:24 AM   #64
uptownnyc
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by jediDev View Post
Have you seen anything about the putting it back together part? The slicing looks simple enough, and I wouldn't mind applying new adhesive, but how hard is it to get it seated back in position so that it looks right is my question.
Looks like a nightmare to re-seal it properly without the right tools. Maybe somebody can come up with a scheme to replace their adhesive with a set of super-strong magnets. Scrape off all the old adhesive, and put magnets on the four corners. Not sure if it'd be tight, and it'd definitely void your warranty - but it'd allow for future access if desired.
uptownnyc is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 1, 2012, 09:29 AM   #65
R.OG
macrumors regular

I opened up a base 21.5 last night and it came apart with very little effort. The adhesive transfer tape needs to be replaced but it peels away from both surfaces without leaving any residue. I was able to replace the ram with two 8gb sticks i had laying around without removing the logic board but i had to remove the fan. Here are some pics i took during the process.

Last edited by R.OG; Dec 1, 2012 at 09:35 AM.
R.OG is offline   8 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 1, 2012, 10:04 AM   #66
maharajah
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by R.OG View Post
I opened up a base 21.5 last night and it came apart with very little effort. The adhesive transfer tape needs to be replaced but it peels away from both surfaces without leaving any residue. I was able to replace the ram with two 8gb sticks i had laying around without removing the logic board but i had to remove the fan. Here are some pics i took during the process.
Thanks for the photos. What replacement transfer tape did you use? Do you have any after pics of the iMac, any gaps?
maharajah is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 1, 2012, 10:10 AM   #67
Zackmd1
macrumors 6502

Quote:

I'm curious... How did you go about opening it up? Did you use owc's method of a guitar pick or did you do something else?
Zackmd1 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 1, 2012, 11:19 AM   #68
R.OG
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by maharajah View Post
Thanks for the photos. What replacement transfer tape did you use? Do you have any after pics of the iMac, any gaps?
I have not sealed it up yet. Apple used adhesive transfer tape with foam in the middle to act as a gasket, i know i have some 3m VHB transfer tape with foam in the middle but i can't find it. Once i find it and put it back together i will let you know.

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zackmd1 View Post
I'm curious... How did you go about opening it up? Did you use owc's method of a guitar pick or did you do something else?
I cut a credit card into a small circle.

Last edited by R.OG; Dec 1, 2012 at 12:01 PM.
R.OG is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 1, 2012, 11:28 AM   #69
maharajah
macrumors member

Quote:
I have not sealed it up yet. Apple used adhesive transfer tape with foam in the middle to act as a gasket, i know i have some 25mil 3m VHB transfer tape with foam in the middle but i can't find it. Once i find it and put it back together i will let you know.
Thanks.
maharajah is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 1, 2012, 12:10 PM   #70
WilliamG
macrumors 601

Quote:
Thank you! I feel greatly more confident opening this up. Do let us know what tape you use to stick it back down and how it looks when you're done. Hopefully it looks like Apple's OEM tape, for warranty purposes.

Also, are any special screwdrivers needed? I want to replace the hard drive. Not sure if you saw any funky connectors for temperature monitoring, too.

Thank you!
Old Dec 1, 2012, 01:17 PM   #71
pubjoe
macrumors 6502

Thanks a lot R.OG.

I had been worried ever since apple used the term 'laminated', and I still have the awful memory of scraping away adhesive from an iphone1 screen. It's good to know that the adhesive strips peel off without a problem. My purchase depended on being able to avoid apple's storage prices. That seems perfectly doable. I won't be cancelling my order. :-)

Panic over.

Last edited by pubjoe; Dec 1, 2012 at 01:24 PM.
pubjoe is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 1, 2012, 01:26 PM   #72
R.OG
macrumors regular

Quote:
Thank you! I feel greatly more confident opening this up. Do let us know what tape you use to stick it back down and how it looks when you're done. Hopefully it looks like Apple's OEM tape, for warranty purposes.

Also, are any special screwdrivers needed? I want to replace the hard drive. Not sure if you saw any funky connectors for temperature monitoring, too.

Thank you!
You only need torx screwdrivers.
R.OG is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 1, 2012, 03:03 PM   #73
WilliamG
macrumors 601

Quote:
You only need torx screwdrivers.
Thank you. Just waiting to hear how putting back the display goes.

(And if you can check the 2.5" drive and see if anything weird is going on there in terms of connections, many of us would LOVE to know)

Stop keeping me waiting!!!
Old Dec 1, 2012, 03:35 PM   #74
Overg
macrumors 6502

Seeing the ifixit images and the movie,
I wonder how apple fix things in the iMac when it need to repair it???
Do the lab have diffrent tools?
The iMac while beautiful is pain in the ass to fix.
Look very scary
Overg is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 1, 2012, 03:51 PM   #75
Halopend
macrumors member

Considering how expensive Apples upgrade options are on their site this just feels like a way to rip you off up front.

You can literally save $250 upgrading the SSD and ram yourself.
Halopend is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Desktops > iMac