Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

AppleChampagne

macrumors member
Sep 29, 2012
Am at Westfield Stratford in east London.

First went to John Lewis to take advantage of their two year warranty but they just smiled when I asked about availability.

PC World also dry.

I saw the Apple store its logo shining out like a lighthouse to some lost sailor.

Ten minutes later walked out with a black cellular 64gb and a black 32gb wifi as a present.

Felt self conscious carrying the Apple bags out of the store, as groups of the local scum were looking to snatch and grab back to their hoods.

Popped into Primark and got one of their bags.

Result.

Man up...

Jeez Westifield had stock... Unreal;)

Found the staff in that store to be total gooseberrys, would rather travel to the cardiff store from greenwich than go there, lol

AC

CocoPops

macrumors regular
Sep 10, 2007
Walked into Reading Oracle store and bagged a 32gb black mini lte.

Now to chose a 3G supplier... Thoughts?

willwilson28

macrumors newbie
Oct 2, 2007
I went in the Apple store in Leicester at 10:30am today and managed to pick up the last white iPad mini LTE.

I'm still fuming that apple has screwed me over on my preorder - I mean seriously, what was the point?! Have they become so complacent that satisfying customers is beyond them?

CD3660

macrumors 603
Jun 6, 2007
Cheshire, United Kingdom.
I tend to use 3 network sims in my iPad 3 pre-loaded with 3GB of data which you can buy on eBay or Amazon for around £12. The data has to be used within 90 days. You'll also have to cut the sim down to nano size until pre-loaded nano sims hit the market.

Works well for me but you might prefer a contract.

Loopy65

macrumors 6502a
Jun 6, 2008
Wales, UK
Walked into Reading Oracle store and bagged a 32gb black mini lte.

Three - 3GB data valid for three months - I got mine via topcashback so ended up paying £7 for it!! (Price on three £20.49 before £13.40 cashback):)

It's the iPad mini nano sim PAYG you need

Pinksteady

macrumors 6502a
Aug 19, 2008
Well said. Couldn't agree more!

Everyone else is running around shops trying to find the model they want, with varying degrees of success and no definitive end in sight for the unsuccessful, whereas those who pre-ordered get their specific model delivered to their door at about the same time, guaranteed.

I fail to see what the confusion is.

misterspeakeasy

macrumors newbie
Nov 16, 2012
United Kingdom
Am at Westfield Stratford in east London.

First went to John Lewis to take advantage of their two year warranty but they just smiled when I asked about availability.

PC World also dry.

I saw the Apple store its logo shining out like a lighthouse to some lost sailor.

Ten minutes later walked out with a black cellular 64gb and a black 32gb wifi as a present.

Felt self conscious carrying the Apple bags out of the store, as groups of the local scum were looking to snatch and grab back to their hoods.

Popped into Primark and got one of their bags.

Result.

Nice little story!

CD3660

macrumors 603
Jun 6, 2007
Everyone else is running around shops trying to find the model they want, with varying degrees of success and no definitive end in sight for the unsuccessful, whereas those who pre-ordered get their specific model delivered to their door at about the same time, guaranteed.

I fail to see what the confusion is.

There is no confusion here. Apple cocked up with the pre-orders on the iPad mini. No question about it.

THFourteen

macrumors 6502a
Apr 8, 2010
London
I've got a 3 retention deal of 15Gb a month for £10.99 on a rolling 30 day contract

I have the same deal! I tried desperately to leave but they wouldn't let me.

I don't understand why apple bothered with pre orders at all. If I remember correctly the original ipad didn't have any, you could order online on the same day that the shops started to sell them and then they would arrive in a couple of days.

I realise it's not the end of the world, but the fact that I could hop on the tube four stops to Westfield, buy one two days ago and then get mugged by hoodies AND go back and buy another one is a ridiculous situation to be on for a pre order.

Makes me glad that the iPad is the only apple product I would consider buying.

CD3660

macrumors 603
Jun 6, 2007
I have the same deal! I tried desperately to leave but they wouldn't let me.

This is the problem with 3 contracts. I've had personal experience of it, and I've heard many similar stories.

Such a shame really because their prices are excellent, and their speed and coverage these days are good too.

They just won't let you go unless you are as stubbornly tenacious as they are.

Loopy65

macrumors 6502a
Jun 6, 2008
Wales, UK
As a matter of interest, how long was it between purchase of the nano sim and credit of the cash back?

It showed in my account on the same day - the actual 'money' though always takes weeks with any company on topcashback
Oh, and because of the contract extraction chat, this PAYG so not tied to them in any way *phew*
I've left them before (from a measly month by month contract) and it took days of negotiating and pig-headed determination !!!

WynterB

macrumors member
Mar 17, 2012
If anyone is interested, and live in an area with good EE coverage - I picked up a rolling 1 month contract in-store yesterday which is not listed on their website, and none of the sales reps seemed to know about.

It's called a 4GEE Broadband SIM-only 15 plan which is £15.99 pm for 5GB.

I had read about it on a blog somewhere, and given that I pay £10pm for three.co.uk 1GB, I thought I might just give EE a go.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1354438775.678806.jpg

Pretty happy with the speed so far :)

I'm going to try it out over the month and see how it compared with the three.co.uk

misterspeakeasy

macrumors newbie
Nov 16, 2012
United Kingdom
If anyone is interested, and live in an area with good EE coverage - I picked up a rolling 1 month contract in-store yesterday which is not listed on their website, and none of the sales reps seemed to know about.

It's called a 4GEE Broadband SIM-only 15 plan which is £15.99 pm for 5GB.

I had read about it on a blog somewhere, and given that I pay £10pm for three.co.uk 1GB, I thought I might just give EE a go.

View attachment 381074

Pretty happy with the speed so far :)

I'm going to try it out over the month and see how it compared with the three.co.uk

I have a huge contract with Three (bought by mistake). 15Gb a month costing around £23.

I am in a major city and I bought it with a MiFi.

I switched the SIM card into my 3rd generation iPad, and I regularly get download speeds of around 12mps..... often while travelling on the bus.

(Three have upgraded their 3G network in the major cities to the fastest variant of 3G).

This information may be of use/consolation to some passers-by on this thread...

yegon

macrumors 68040
Oct 20, 2007
Re: escaping Three, you just have to persevere. I like their service, I have a monthly rolling for my iPhone which I'm very happy with, and I use the three month 3gb data sims in my iPad. BUT they're a pita to escape, took me nearly an hour of "I want to cancel, I want to cancel, I want to cancel" to end that 15gb/monthly rolling iPad contract a couple of years ago. Just don't take no for an answer!!!!!!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.