Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

TSE

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jun 25, 2007
St. Paul, Minnesota
I am in a design program at a major university and I've noticed a lot of kids using design programs and drawing on the computer and tablets over traditional art tools and paper.

While yeah, a lot of their pictures look really good, am I the only one that feels like there is a hidden magic with utilizing the hands?

MisterKeeks

macrumors 68000
Nov 15, 2012
I agree- I will always have respect for those that can just use their hands and mind to create something without the help of a computer to alleviate mistakes.

Shrink

macrumors G3
Feb 26, 2011
New England, USA
I am in a design program at a major university and I've noticed a lot of kids using design programs and drawing on the computer and tablets over traditional art tools and paper.

While yeah, a lot of their pictures look really good, am I the only one that feels like there is a hidden magic with utilizing the hands?

Since my father was an artist (wwaaaaayyyy back before computers), I agree.

However, and much to my surprise, I was quite impressed with the work of Joshua Harker employing a 3D printer.

It will never replace the the traditional artist's hands on...but it is interesting.

Take a look...

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/joshharker/anatomica-di-revolutis?ref=email

leenak

macrumors 68020
Mar 10, 2011
I'm generally a traditionalist but for digital art, the ideas are still of the artist, it is just the medium that has changed.

I like some of it, like things found on this site:
http://www.curious3d.com

But I'm also in awed of people who can create things with their hands and various tools.

macrumors 68040
Dec 16, 2011
Art takes many forms and there are so many mediums for art to be expressed. Digital art is no less and no more amazing than traditional pen and paper art. It's a different medium, that's all.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.