Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Lindsford

macrumors 6502a
Mar 14, 2012
Let me first say that I have been, for the most part, what many people would consider an "Apple fanboy" for the past few years. I use a Mac Pro for video and 3D purposes, rMBP for mobile stuff, iPad, iPhone, and all that. This is my first review on a product, and will be a partial review of Android and iOS as a whole as well.

So far, I have loved my Nexus 4. Of course, during this review I will mainly be comparing it to my 4S. From many people I have been talking to who want to stray away from iOS, they want to do so from either a 4 or a 4S. This review will be based on the main things I use my phone for and will of course vary for different people. Proceed with caution.

Basic browsing:
My iPhone 4S was great for browsing. Safari browser worked fine and was easy to use. My biggest complaint was always the screen size. And in this aspect, the Nexus 4 without a doubt beats the iPhone. And yes, screen size, 4.7", easily beats the iPhone 5's 4" screen.

From someone who did a lot of internet browsing on a daily basis, the Nexus 4 was best. Although, using it one handed can be tough. I am 6'3 and have fairly large hands. But one handed use with the Nexus 4 is not as comfortable as my iPhone. But I think the larger screen is worth a day or two of getting used to. After that, you get used to having to adjust holding your phone if you want to touch the top corner.

Battery life:
I, like many others, use my phone throughout the day to do various tasks. Because of that, battery life is extremely important. This part is pretty simple. My 4S gets significantly better battery life. Maybe its because it has a smaller screen, not as many cores to power, or whatever. But it is noticeable. It feels like I am getting the same battery life on my Nexus 4 that I used to get on my 4S before Apple released the update to fix battery life.

The battery life really should be better for Google's "flagship" phone. For (my) heavy usage, it sometimes won't last a full day.

Keyboard:
People do a lot of typing on their phones. Yes, people can go out and find a third party keyboard. But I think having a great stock keyboard is just as important. And in this sense, the Nexus 4 wins. Having predictions show up at the top of the keyboard is cool, but I don't really use that. What I do use is Google's Swype wanabe. It is absolutely great for one handed use. Takes some getting used to, but worth it.

Reliability:
This section should be important to everyone. We rely on our phones, and knowing that everything will work well when we need it to is important. On the Nexus 4, apps crash on a daily basis and complete lags occur often. And the software buttons freeze at least once a day. My iPhone definitely wins in this section.

App selection:
This is a hot topic, especially coming from iPhone users. The fact of the matter is they are pretty close. Quantity wise, Android is right up there, so it is easy to find the same apps or equivalent apps for the most part. That may sound all fine and dandy, but quality is just as important. Apps on Android don't feel as fluid. For some, you may not be able to find an equivalent. And there have been multiple reports that ~2/3 of all mobile developers prefer to work on iOS. In this category, my iPhone wins.

However, from a personal standpoint, I have not had any major problems in this category besides one. I use a delivery app on iOS for all my packages. The only "equivalent" I have found for Android is Parcels, but every delivery for Amazon I put in brings an error. Totally pointless. So really, it depends on the apps you use. But as a whole, iOS has the upper hand.

And I don't even think I need to compare maps ;)

Camera:
I don't use my camera that much, but image quality overall seems to be better on my iPhone. Images from the Nexus 4 in low light looks too noisy. The ISO just gets bumped up too high to compensate for lack of light. My guess is it is because of the backlit sensor on the 4S that makes images look better.

Camera controls on the Nexus 4 are definitely better. I like how easy it is to change settings, and its easy to change settings.

One thing I hate about the camera on the Nexus 4 is that you can't tap to focus during video, at least I haven't found a way. Recording on an iPhone allows you to tap to focus whenever you want. However, on the Nexus 4, it saves out a frame as an individual image. But that is pointless in my mind as it is constantly taking a bunch of pictures. I think it would be better to just be able to pause the video in the gallery app and be able to save out a frame as an image rather than hinder functionality while recording video.

Build quality:
For the most part they are pretty similar. Although, the rim around the Nexus 4 feels like cheap plastic but the rim around the 4S is nice aluminum. Also, when using the power button on the Nexus 4, I hear that bad plasticy sound. Definitely not something I would expect from what so many others consider a premium product.

However, one thing I love about the build quality of the Nexus 4 is the curved glass. Apple is known for adding small details that make using the device more pleasurable. This is something that I am surprised Apple has not done because it is great. Using my 4S now just feels weird without the curved glass.

Notifications:
I always hear people say how notifications on Android are better. And after using the Nexus 4 for a while, I partially agree. I love being able to swipe down to see current notification. And I love swiping down with 2 finger for controls. I also love using Power Toggles to get even more quick controls.

But there is one thing about notifications that I love about iOS. When I get a new Facebook notification or something else and unlock the screen once I see that notification pop up, it takes me right to the app. I love that.

With the Nexus 4, it seems like that if something is in the notification bar, there also has to be an icon at the top left. This, I don't like so much. For power toggles, it requires something up top, but I don't want anything up there. Sure, I can change it to be transparent, but then if there is something else that needs to go up there, it will cause a gap. And yes, thats a small thing I know, but personally I don't like it. Also, for some widgets that I just want to show, for example, the current date or battery percentage up in the corner, there has to be something in the notification bar as well. For some apps, I just want functionality in the notifications bar. For others, I just want information at the top. But its either both or neither.

Google Now & Siri:
I guess I was one of the few that actually used Siri. It was great. Although, I really only did 2 things with Siri and it was only ever in 1 place. I would either send a text to someone or set a reminder. And more than likely if I was using Siri, I would be in my car. So, being in my car I need to be able to keep my eyes on the road. The thing is, Google Now requires at least some input on the touch screen. This means, I have to take my eyes off the road. Google Now is not a true Siri competitor as it is not totally hands free, lets get that straight now.

To start Google now, I have to first swipe up from the capacitive home button. Next, I have to tap on a tiny mic icon. On my iPhone, I just held down a physical button, so I never had to look anywhere. To send a text message, Siri would confirm the message for me and ask if I want to send it. I could say "yes", "yeah", "sure", any so many things. The main thing is that I didn't have to take my eyes off the road. With Google Now, you cannot use your voice to confirm the message. You have to physically tap. And in this sense, it is not hands free.

The other thing I do is set reminders. I am a forgetful person and reminders is an awesome app. I would just say "Remind me to check my bank statement when I get home" or "Remind me to feed my dog in an hour" or even something like "remind me to mail my letter tomorrow at noon" and it would work every time. Whenever I try and have Google Now remind me of something, it has only ever done time. So "when I get home" hasn't worked. And if I say "tomorrow at noon", I will get an error saying that alarms can't go by dates. Google should really include a reminders app or something similar because it is very functional.

App integration:
When it comes to app integration, Android easily wins. Its that simple. I love being able to go into my email client and click add an attachment, and then I can search my whole dropbox to find a certain file. And I love being able to send multiple attachments in one email. Something my iPhone could never do. This is an easy win for Android, no question about it.

Customization:
Another easy win for Android. The reason I think this is important is that there are things every laptop can do with easy that a smartphone, which in many cases because a laptop replacement when on the move, should be able to do. Some examples: default browser, default mail client, arrange app icons in any way, and so much more. If you want to keep everything at stock, which I have done for many things, you still get more functionality in many aspects compared to iOS.

Because of the customizability of the OS, it is easy to keep Android from feeling boring or stale, something that isn't really possible on iOS. It is easy to try out a new launcher and just change the entire look and feel of your whole phone.

Third party accessories:
This one is a little tricky. Case selection and stuff like that will be way better for iPhones.

For other accessories, things are being split in the iOS ecosystem with the 30-pin dock dying and Lightning on the rise.

But a universal port like Micro USB is pretty great.

Vibrate Switch:
This is one thing I really miss from my iPhone. I love a physical switch to make sure things are silent. Going to class or going to church, I could just reach in my pocket and feel what side the switch was on.

Cloud services:
Both Google and Apple have very interesting cloud services available.

Google Drive vs Documents in the cloud: They both have their strengths and weaknesses. For Google Drive, it is great being able to upload and download any file type, can't do that with documents in the cloud. But, what I can do with documents in the cloud or even data in the cloud is pick up my iPad, play some Infinity Blade 2, and then pick up right where I left off on my iPhone. It is completely transparent to the user and works great.

iTunes Match vs Google Play: iTunes match gives you 25,000 songs for $25 a year. Not too bad. But the way it works isn't all that great. I only have 6,000 songs in my library. 20% of them weren't matched. But TuneUp found them all perfectly fine. So it that sense, its just alright. For Google Play, you get 20,000 songs uploaded for free. That's pretty good, but it won't upgrade the quality of your music. Whether or not that is worth it is up to you.

One thing I really miss about iCloud is how notes and reminders sync perfectly between my iPhone and iPad. Sure, you can get Astrid on Android, and then Evernote as well. But I like having essential apps from the start.

Price:
I think this one doesn't even need explaining.

Other things:
I love the LED notification light. Widgets are very functional. Lockscreen widgets look cool, but developers really need to start taking advantage of them.

Phone itself feels lighter and thinner than my 4S.

Not a big fan of onscreen buttons.

I love the way Android uses gestures for deleting apps from your recent list. Just a quick swipe and its gone. I hate the long press for iOS. However, a lot of times to delete a conversation or something long that on Android, you have to do a long press whereas iOS is a swipe. Both should be more consistent IMO.

The way Android shows battery usage is far superior to iOS. I love being able to see that information.

Google wallet is awesome. Used NFC to buy some ice cream at Braums and I had no idea they would support it! I don't agree with the typical "Oh NFC just isn't ready yet" argument that iOS fanboys say to make themselves feel better about how the iPhone 5 doesn't have it. It is also GREAT for quickly sending a friend a link to a website. No more tap and hold, drag to select URL, copy, switch to messaging app, tap and hold, paste, send. It is just a quick tap to phone, tap to beam. Done.

I always hated how with iOS, the stores were broken up. You have an app that takes you to the iTunes store, another for apps, another for books, another for news stand, blah blah blah. I enjoy how Google put it all in one.

Smartphones are great for finding out information thanks to quick access to the internet and search engines. Unfortunately, iOS adds needless steps in order to take advantage of the crazy amount of information at our finger tips. With Android, just unlock and search right at the top. Love that (Although I am actually a Bing user because I get points and free Amazon gift cards, wish I could change it).

Conclusion:
I am sure I missed points. So if there is something you want me to talk about more, let me know. I am not trying to bash either platform, although too often posts like this just lead to that. I am just trying to spark some discussion. And if anybody has any suggestions for me to fix some annoyances I have talked about with either platform, I am very interested so please let me know. Especially for Android as I am still sort of a noob with Android and I want to continue to make my phone even better.

As a whole, I prefer using my Nexus 4. The bigger screen and better keyboard are great. Most of the other things where my iPhone was better were small things to me, and right now not worth me switching back to my iPhone.

------------------
Edits in italic.

Good review man. As a Side note I too am holding out for the S4.

Also for others looking a good unbiased (imo) video review. I liked this one

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E406xXr4Mok

mib1800

Suspended
Sep 16, 2012
But it's so easy to overcome that, thanks to the ability to feel where the switch is without even needing to look at the phone. I use this all the time- I often walk into places where a phone isn't allowed, or will be looked down upon, so having the physical silent switch is really handy, as I can reach in and flip it to silent without my phone leaving my pocket. You can't do that on a phone with a soft silent switch.

For me, I hated to always need to remember to flip this switch on/off. I rather have a software sound control. On my S3, sound is switched automatically using ring profiles that are based on calendar entries, time of day, location and NFC.

onthecouchagain

macrumors 604
Mar 29, 2011
For me, I hated to always need to remember to flip this switch on/off. I rather have a software sound control. On my S3, sound is switched automatically using ring profiles that are based on calendar entries, time of day, location and NFC.

Yup. It's nice it's in your status bar on top.

In general, the status bar offers great information. Don't know why iOS still tells you what carrier you're on.

Tinmania

macrumors 68040
Aug 8, 2011
Aridzona
But it's so easy to overcome that, thanks to the ability to feel where the switch is without even needing to look at the phone. I use this all the time- I often walk into places where a phone isn't allowed, or will be looked down upon, so having the physical silent switch is really handy, as I can reach in and flip it to silent without my phone leaving my pocket. You can't do that on a phone with a soft silent switch.

Sure it can break, but that's in a minority of cases. I'd rather take the tiny chance of it breaking in exchange for its functionality, which I regularly use.
All 4 of my SNES controllers from nearly 20 years ago still work perfectly, physical buttons and switches are perfectly capable of working for a long, long time.
You are using a game controller to defend an easy to wear out, get contaminated, get wet, outdated physical button on a device that is with you all the time? Uh, ok. :rolleyes:

As for the silent switch... Wish that worked last time I was watching a movie and had set it to silent but it had accidentally switched back.

I'm not James Bond and don't need to secretly put my phone on silent.

Michael

Tinmania

macrumors 68040
Aug 8, 2011
Aridzona

I didn't even bother to bring that up to an iPhone user. But yes there is a plethora of options to do that in android, even without rooting. There are a handful of options on iOS but they require a jailbreak which is becoming more and more a pain to wait for on iOS. Generally a jailbreak appears a few days before the next firmware update that kills it. ;)

Michael

----------

I thought you were superman:D

Shhhhhhhhhhhh! :)

strausd

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Jul 11, 2008
Texas
You are using a game controller to defend an easy to wear out, get contaminated, get wet, outdated physical button on a device that is with you all the time? Uh, ok. :rolleyes:

As for the silent switch... Wish that worked last time I was watching a movie and had set it to silent but it had accidentally switched back.

Michael

For me its not so much needing to do it secretly as it is doing it without being distracting. For example, there have been countless tines where in the middle of a movie I remember that I need to turn my phone on silent. It is much more convenient to reach in my pocket instead of taking the phone out and turning on the screen. Same thing for class and same thing for church. It is a convenience factor. On my 4S I never had any problems with the switch or any buttons breaking.

hyteckit

Jul 29, 2007

Michael

I think the silent switch is wonderful when you forget to put your phone in silent mode.

Phone start ringing? Takes a second to flip the switch without ever taking your iPhone out.

Also great if you don't want to draw attention to yourself during the middle of a business meeting or watching a movie when you finally remember to put your phone on silent mode.

ReanimationN

macrumors 6502a
Sep 7, 2011
Australia
Ah, SNES. The good old days. Do you still play games on it?
Sure do, not all that often these days though. It's great to pull out when old friends of mine come around for a quiet night every now and then. You can't beat older consoles when it comes to multiplayer. :)
Given that these controllers have taken nearly 20 years (in five months it will be 20 years) of button mashing, smashing on the ground, the frustrations of my younger self and later my brother, being played while eating food, copping spills from drinks, getting trodden on and later having almost all those happen again while being played with friends before going out, or during nights in, as a teen and as an adult (and are still working perfectly), yeah, I think the button on the iPhone will be, in the vast majority of cases, fine. I'm not doubting that they've gone bad for some people and some will continue to do so, but they'll be fine for the majority of people. My N64 controllers have had the same treatment and admittedly the analog sticks on two of them have gone bad, but the buttons are still perfect (iPhones don't have N64-style analog sticks, so I think they're ok there). As are the on/off switches on every device I've owned.

And 'get contaminated'? Come on now.
I obviously don't have the same problem with pocket gremlins as you do, I can't recall having this ever happening to me. What do you keep in your pocket with your phone to constantly flip your silent switch on and off?
I don't think you need to be James Bond to forget that you were meant to leave your phone in your car before an exam and notice upon sitting at your seat that's it's still in your pocket... and that having a phone in an exam room will result in severe penalties. That's just one example of when the silent switch is indispensable. Having an impromptu meeting with your boss is another, I know I don't want to interrupt what my boss is saying with message or phone sounds, so I can discretely slip my hand into my pocket and flip the silent switch. There's been so many times where it's been incredibly useful that I'd never give it up.

mcman77

macrumors 6502a
Dec 22, 2011
Let me clarify one point about Google now that multiple people have brought up.

Yes, I realize I can say "Google" and then it will listen. But getting that to work for me is not very consistent. And having to do that is a 2 step process for I can start giving it commands. Swipe up then say it.

I realize once on the home screen or in Google now I can tap the small mic icon. But I am most likely to use Google now when driving, meaning I don't want to look at the screen. Tapping the mic makes me look at the screen, thus not ideal.

I want a one step process to easily get to Google now from anywhere and start talking. A friend of mine is on a rooted GS3 on Cyanogen mod and set up the home button to bring up Google now and start listening right away after holding down the home button. That is an easy 1 step process from anywhere to go straight into saying commands to the phone. And that is precisely what is lacking from stock 4.2.

A + for google now is that ( never tried this but seen it ) you can say consecutive questions so for example:
"who is Jean claude van dam"?
then you get an answer
"how old is he"
then you get an answer
"where is he from"
etc. etc.

unlinked

macrumors 6502a
Jul 12, 2010
Ireland

Tinmania

macrumors 68040
Aug 8, 2011
Aridzona
Given that these controllers have taken nearly 20 years (in five months it will be 20 years) of button mashing, smashing on the ground, the frustrations of my younger self and later my brother, being played while eating food, copping spills from drinks, getting trodden on and later having almost all those happen again while being played with friends before going out, or during nights in, as a teen and as an adult (and are still working perfectly), yeah, I think the button on the iPhone will be, in the vast majority of cases, fine. I'm not doubting that they've gone bad for some people and some will continue to do so, but they'll be fine for the majority of people. My N64 controllers have had the same treatment and admittedly the analog sticks on two of them have gone bad, but the buttons are still perfect (iPhones don't have N64-style analog sticks, so I think they're ok there). As are the on/off switches on every device I've owned.

And 'get contaminated'? Come on now.
A sticky or not responsive enough to be reliable home button was indeed an issue for the iPhone 4... took about a year for me. Google it. It's not exactly an unknown issue.

And, yes, "contaminated." That is always possible when you have openings in an electronic device. How many iphones do you see lying on tables while people are eating. I see plenty. One drop of splashed gravy, melted butter, wine, beer, milk, syrup, etc., is not exactly healthy for that home button. Chit happens even if not to you.

Please don't go on about game controllers again. They are meant to be used abused by children.

Michael

ReanimationN

macrumors 6502a
Sep 7, 2011
Australia
A sticky or not responsive enough to be reliable home button was indeed an issue for the iPhone 4... took about a year for me. Google it. It's not exactly an unknown issue.
I'm aware of it, a friend of mine had his replaced thanks to his phone's button getting sticky and unresponsive, yet I also know many more people who have had zero issues with theirs.

Like I said, I have no doubt it's an issue- I know it's an issue, but the majority of people don't have any problem with theirs.
And, yes, "contaminated." That is always possible when you have openings in an electronic device. How many iphones do you see lying on tables while people are eating. I see plenty. One drop of splashed gravy, melted butter, wine, beer, milk, syrup, etc., is not exactly healthy for that home button. Chit happens even if not to you.
To be perfectly honest, not that many. :confused: When I eat out with my friends, or with people from work, the men keep their phones in their pockets and the women keep theirs either in their bags or their pockets. I very rarely see them sitting out on a table for a meal. Maybe for a few minutes here and there if someone's waiting for a call or text they can't miss, but that's it. It's hardly biohazard zone material.
Please don't go on about game controllers again. They are meant to be used abused by children.
Yes, whereas iPhone buttons are specifically engineered to not ever be used by children and to be fragile and breakable. ;)

Btw, I've still got some 20 year old keyboards, 20 year old tape decks, 15 year old CD players, TVs, remote controls etc. that all feature buttons that still work great if you want to discount game controllers. :) My point is that buttons can withstand years of abuse, there's always the potential for failure, but that's only going to affect a small number of units. Most will last for years and years.

onthecouchagain

macrumors 604
Mar 29, 2011
If Apple was first to adopt on screen home buttons and whatnot, I wonder if this conversation would be any different. Further more, if the competition insisted on sticking with physical home buttons, I wonder, too, would this conversation be any different.

Being serious.

Tinmania

macrumors 68040
Aug 8, 2011
Aridzona
Btw, I've still got some 20 year old keyboards, 20 year old tape decks, 15 year old CD players, TVs, remote controls etc. that all feature buttons that still work great if you want to discount game controllers. :) My point is that buttons can withstand years of abuse, there's always the potential for failure, but that's only going to affect a small number of units. Most will last for years and years.
I'm not arguing that all buttons break. I'm saying that as people have these devices with them 24/7 there is a higher likelihood of it coming in contact with some sort of liquid. I am not even saying it is a huge issue. But it did in fact go bad on me.

I don't think I really want a mechanical home button on my phone anymore after using my Nexus 4 for two weeks. I had originally expected it was going to be much harder to just get used to it, let alone prefer it. Now I look at my 4S and think, wow that could have a bigger screen if that home button could go away for games, video, or whatnot.

Michael

----------

If Apple was first to adopt on screen home buttons and whatnot, I wonder if this conversation would be any different. Further more, if the competition insisted on sticking with physical home buttons, I wonder, too, would this conversation be any different.

Being serious.
I have complained about the iPhone home button wearing out long before I ever used anything but iPhone. :)

Michael

Stropaganda

macrumors member
Sep 14, 2012
Has the race of Android and iOS gotten so close that people are arguing over physical buttons vs. soft buttons? Alright. There are advantages and disadvantages, but I personally like soft buttons.

On Job's iPhone keynote, he mentions something about getting rid of the keyboard buttons on the old generation of smartphones. He mentions that if you think of a good idea later on, you can't change the buttons on the phone as they've already been shipped. I guess this means that an entirely new UI for Android 5.0 could be sent to the soft button Android phones in a seemless way without manufacturers having to map the physical keys to the logical soft keys. If Apple wants to completely change their UI, it might not be backward compatible or it would be compatible, but they would have to include function to the home button. Not a big problem. It might not even be a problem at all, but it's something to think about.

The other thing is that soft buttons can change or disappear depending on the context. Physical buttons have a satisfying tactile feedback even better than haptic.

I believe that Apple will eventually change the home button if screen size stays a big factor. Squishing the button into a flat, more horizontal shape would let the bezel grow increasingly smaller. It could still be physical, but I think if they choose to replace the home button, they will go with a soft button not unlike the home button on Android.

ReanimationN

macrumors 6502a
Sep 7, 2011
Australia

Being serious.
If Apple had done that for the iPhone 5, for example, I would have more than likely have continued using my 3GS until the end of my contract and then jumped over to a Windows Phone device with a physical home button. Or an Android device with a physical home button (if I hadn't been put off by my Nexus 7 experience).

I'm just one person though, a lot of people would remain with Apple. Maybe I would too if they developed a method for onscreen buttons that feels more comfortable to me than those that already exist. I think having at least one face button is necessary for basic usability, it's just so much more comfortable. That's how I feel, if soft buttons work for you, then go for it.
I'm not arguing that all buttons break. I'm saying that as people have these devices with them 24/7 there is a higher likelihood of it coming in contact with some sort of liquid. I am not even saying it is a huge issue. But it did in fact go bad on me.

I don't think I really want a mechanical home button on my phone anymore after using my Nexus 4 for two weeks. I had originally expected it was going to be much harder to just get used to it, let alone prefer it. Now I look at my 4S and think, wow that could have a bigger screen if that home button could go away for games, video, or whatnot.
That's fair enough, I just don't think the possibility of a button wearing out or breaking should be used as a point against devices with a physical home button, it's not going to be an issue for the vast majority of people and buttons/switches have the capability to last for years and years.

The speaker grill is what concerns me the most when it comes to liquids, it's so open compared to anything else on the phone. If I ever use my phone in the rain, it's always what I cover.

I agree with what you said about screen size, I think Apple will continue to make the home button smaller. The one on the iPad mini already feels tiny compared to those on the iPad and iPhone. Maybe they'll reach a point where they scrap it, after making it uncomfortably small, and integrate it into the screen like Google.

strausd

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Jul 11, 2008
Texas
That's fair enough, I just don't think the possibility of a button wearing out or breaking should be used as a point against devices with a physical home button, it's not going to be an issue for the vast majority of people and buttons/switches have the capability to last for years and years.

No to mention the screen is more likely to crack from an accidental drop thus making on screen buttons unusable before physical buttons die.

I know so many people who have cracked their phones screen without ever having a physical button fail on them.

onthecouchagain

macrumors 604
Mar 29, 2011
No to mention the screen is more likely to crack from an accidental drop thus making on screen buttons unusable before physical buttons die.

I know so many people who have cracked their phones screen without ever having a physical button fail on them.

I think at that point it's nil. If the iPhone has a crack screen and only the home button worked, what good would that do? If the iPhone has a crack screen but the touch screen still worked, then any on-screen home button would still work, too.

My point is, if all things are equal and both the Nexus 4 and the iPhone touch screen is shot from a drop/crack, it's not saying much that the iPhone button is still working.

strausd

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Jul 11, 2008
Texas
I think at that point it's nil. If the iPhone has a crack screen and only the home button worked, what good would that do? If the iPhone has a crack screen but the touch screen still worked, then any on-screen home button would still work, too.

My point is, if all things are equal and both the Nexus 4 and the iPhone touch screen is shot from a drop/crack, it's not saying much that the iPhone button is still working.

It is actually still very functional because of Siri, which thus defeats your whole argument. You can still call people, text people, turn the volume up, silence your phone, and really a lot. Even with a cracked screen, you still get basic phone functionality. With a cracked Nexus 4, you don't get anything.

That is a huge plus to both physical buttons over capacitive, also showing how invoking Google now is far inferior to invoking Siri.

Switchback666

macrumors 68000
Nov 16, 2012
SXM
It is actually still very functional because of Siri, which thus defeats your whole argument. You can still call people, text people, turn the volume up, silence your phone, and really a lot. Even with a cracked screen, you still get basic phone functionality. With a cracked Nexus 4, you don't get anything.

That is a huge plus to both physical buttons over capacitive, also showing how invoking Google now is far inferior to invoking Siri.

What if the phone is password protected :eek: joking :p

I dont know the home buttons of my iphones never failed and i did a lot dfu restores/jailbreaking plus im very pro close everything on the task switcher lol.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.