Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ChristianVirtual

macrumors 601
Original poster
May 10, 2010
日本
Living in Japan means houses are not very well isolated and many people don't run the heater over night. Consequence: its cold in the morning in the bedroom. 10 to 12 degree Celsius, maybe.

The iPhone 5 of my wife react quite erratic in this condition. First it's hard to unlock the screen and if we click on a icon in the top area of the screen actually the phone application might start and randomly select names.

Same room condition iPad 1,2,3 and iPhone 4 working perfectly.

Question: anybody else seen this ? Would that be a problem with the digitizer in the screen or with the different electrical parameter of the finger ?

Last edited:

Mrbobb

macrumors 603
Aug 27, 2012
The good thing is, Apple specifies at what temp the iPhone will work as normal, it's on the back of the manual. So if temp is within spec range and it's not working the way it normally does, you have a bad phone on your hands.

Binarymix

macrumors 65816
Nov 1, 2007
Mine's been working fine here in canada, where it's reached -5 C so far. And I have operated my old iPhones in more than -20 C weather just fine.

metzy25

macrumors 65816
May 7, 2011
Has anyone had problems turning there phone off for longs periods of time in the cold and turning it back on and the battery being almost completely dead? I left mine in my jeep during work, and it's about 35 degrees out, and when I turn it on after its almost completely dead when the battery has around 40 percent left, this had happened more the once.

XboxMySocks

macrumors 68020
Oct 25, 2009
Has anyone had problems turning there phone off for longs periods of time in the cold and turning it back on and the battery being almost completely dead? I left mine in my jeep during work, and it's about 35 degrees out, and when I turn it on after its almost completely dead when the battery has around 40 percent left, this had happened more the once.

Yep. It's not so much a problem as it is a property of batteries. Unavoidable

II BISTRO II

macrumors member
Sep 25, 2012
sounds like a bad piece of hardware. i spend 5-6 hours in a freezer for my job (32 F) and the screen responds perfectly when i use it

takeshi74

macrumors 601
Feb 9, 2011
The good thing is, Apple specifies at what temp the iPhone will work as normal, it's on the back of the manual. So if temp is within spec range and it's not working the way it normally does, you have a bad phone on your hands.
Also here http://www.apple.com/iphone/specs.html
Operating ambient temperature: 32° to 95° F (0° to 35° C)
Nonoperating temperature: −4° to 113° F (−20° to 45° C)
Relative humidity: 5% to 95% noncondensing
Maximum operating altitude: 10,000 feet (3000 m)

617aircav

Suspended
Jul 2, 2012
Last week I slept in a small tent with my iPhone for 2 days and it was -45. No issues. I hate the army.

ChristianVirtual

macrumors 601
Original poster
May 10, 2010
日本
Today we will have a visit with a genious ... Lets what will happen.

Actually I "believe" we got accidentally a prototype of the new iPhone 5S because you don't even need to touch the screen to start an action. Just come close to 1cm will press the icon. Couldn't believe until I saw.
So it's either a new way of user input or a totally wrong calibrated piece of touch screen. Anyway: let's a genious handle it.

Update: of course the Genius replaced the iPhone 5 with a new one; few seconds later and iCloud restored. So far, so good. Wait for another chilly morning.

Update: seems stable now; new iP5 acts correct also when cold.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.