Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

sakpeg100

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 25, 2011
So I updated to iTunes 11 on thursday night and installed the latest ATV update today. Now all of sudden when watching a movie on ATV the movie will just turn off midstream? never had this issue before.

Anybody have any ideas? Are there bugs in one of these updates?

Scott.

ledzeppelin

macrumors member
Feb 14, 2010
So I updated to iTunes 11 on thursday night and installed the latest ATV update today. Now all of sudden when watching a movie on ATV the movie will just turn off midstream? never had this issue before.

Scott.

Well, I did the update on the apple TV I think on thursday and have not done the iTunes update.
I got the stopped in mid show on a TV series we have been watching. We then cycled the ATV off and on and have not had the issue again....who knows if it helped...:confused:

sakpeg100

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 25, 2011
thanks, we shall see. cycled off both let's see what happens tomorrow.

ledzeppelin

macrumors member
Feb 14, 2010
thanks, we shall see. cycled off both let's see what happens tomorrow.
I saw on another thread about same issue if they / you are streaming from a computer, they said to check the sleep setting and make sure it is 2 hour or more I guess....I am not streaming from a computer but straight from netflix and ATV only to my 55" TV
Anyway, just wanted to pass it along ...best to ya!

sakpeg100

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 25, 2011
thanks i will try it.....my sleep was set to 15 min......funny though i never had this problem in over 2 yrs. ..we shall see..

cheers.

institute

macrumors regular
Oct 10, 2012
This disconnect from sleep issue when using home sharing is very common for those who have upgraded to iTunes 11. It has occurred when streaming music to an airplay capable receiver as well, so it is not just an ATV issue. It is all over the apple discussion forums. There is currently no solution except to set the sleep interval to a longer period of time. I think we will have to hope Apple provides a quick update if we want a real fix.

JMEANS

macrumors regular
Jun 9, 2012
happened to me too! Why every update are there improvements but then these annoying setbacks. Before 'home sharing' detected if there was iTunes activity/ethernet etc and wouldn't go to sleep for me.

jtrenthacker

macrumors regular
Apr 12, 2012
I was watching Netflix right after I updated my ATV2 and it shut off on me as well. Rebooted and it has been working great since.

SirYossi

macrumors regular
Jan 4, 2012
Penfield
Things that Helped me

Scott.

Here are some things that helped me with the updates. I prepared for the worse backed up my itunes 10.7 downloaded itunes 10.7 from the apple support page (it is still there you just have to search around Sept and you will find it. Once i backed up everything (make sure your itunes is consolidated before you update or you will have issues - i learned the hard way going from itunes 9 to 10). Once that is done update appleTV - mine took about 45 mins to hour (one part took about 40 mins - but waited and prayed it would not freeze but it finished) once i updated that then update itunes. Once itunes is updated boot it then go out of it after you agree to everything then restart your mac - i found restarting helped ith some of the issues. Once itunes was updated I went back and changed it to look kinda like i had it in itunes 10.7 i know some features were missing but those two features i personally found annoying since i had such a huge library. Dupicate finder never really worked for me as i found it easier to manually do it or use 3rd party software.
One thing i did notice i had issues with home streaming after updating so i rebooted the AppleTV and everything worked and even better than before.

----------

Even if apples does not say reboot it just do it.
I found more issues solved by rebooting after a itunes or appleTV updates solves alot of headaces. If you update appleTV reboot after (manually do so) then after any major updates of itunes you should also reboot the appleTV it solves alot of issues from different updates. So far everything works great for me.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.