Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > OS X > Mac OS X Server, Xserve, and Networking

Old Nov 25, 2012, 02:54 PM   #1
Qwerty11
macrumors regular

Router to Airport Express?

So I need to split my internet over wired connections. I also want to keep my airport express for wifi. Can I buy a non wifi router to split the internet and connect one of the cables to the express to keep my wifi?
Qwerty11 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 25, 2012, 02:59 PM   #2
simsaladimbamba
macrumors Core

Depending what AirPort Express model you have, it is either possible or not.

If you have the first generation (2008 - 2012), then it is not possible, since it only has one Ethernet port. The 2012 model has two Ethernet ports (one for the connection from the modem to the AirPort Express and one for an additional device with Ethernet, like a switch or router.

Anyway, it is probably best to get a switch, if you have the 2012 (current) model. If not, it will probably be more tricker and a router needs to get involved.
Old Nov 25, 2012, 03:01 PM   #3
Qwerty11
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by simsaladimbamba View Post
Depending what AirPort Express model you have, it is either possible or not.

If you have the first generation (2008 - 2012), then it is not possible, since it only has one Ethernet port. The 2012 model has two Ethernet ports (one for the connection from the modem to the AirPort Express and one for an additional device with Ethernet, like a switch or router.

Anyway, it is probably best to get a switch, if you have the 2012 (current) model. If not, it will probably be more tricker and a router needs to get involved.
Its the older model. Not the one that looks like an iTV. So basically there is not a feasible solution then?
Old Nov 25, 2012, 03:39 PM   #4
Qwerty11
macrumors regular

Just brainstorming here. Why could I not get a wired router and have a LAN out going to the Airport Express?
Old Nov 26, 2012, 08:51 AM   #5
ghellquist
macrumors regular

Can be done

Can be done.
1) Connect the router to internet
2) Connect the cabled internet boxes to the router
3) Connect a cable from the router to the Express, letting the express create the WiFi Network. You will need to experiment with the settings in the Express, probably setting it to extend a network (acting as a swith rather than as a router -- two routers in one network can make things "interesting" ) .

What you lose is the ability for the cabled boxes to share things with the wifi boxes.

// Gunnar
ghellquist is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 26, 2012, 08:47 PM   #6
cwaddell2002
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghellquist View Post
3) Connect a cable from the router to the Express, letting the express create the WiFi Network. You will need to experiment with the settings in the Express, probably setting it to extend a network
// Gunnar
You don't want to tell the express to extend the network. You want to tell it to create a wireless network. What is key, is that the wired router you buy should be handling your NAT and handing out IP addy's via DHCP. Your express should be set as a wireless access point in bridge mode. You can google how to do this so I'm not going to waste internets explaining this here...

Good luck!
cwaddell2002 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 27, 2012, 06:54 AM   #7
Qwerty11
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by cwaddell2002 View Post
You don't want to tell the express to extend the network. You want to tell it to create a wireless network. What is key, is that the wired router you buy should be handling your NAT and handing out IP addy's via DHCP. Your express should be set as a wireless access point in bridge mode. You can google how to do this so I'm not going to waste internets explaining this here...

Good luck!
Would this still allow me to share stuff from a wired computer to one connected via wifi?

I'm thinking its probably going to be best for me to get an extreme.
Old Nov 29, 2012, 09:22 AM   #8
Qwerty11
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qwerty11 View Post
Would this still allow me to share stuff from a wired computer to one connected via wifi?

I'm thinking its probably going to be best for me to get an extreme.
After doing some more research, it looks like if I set the AE to a wired router as described above, I should be able to share data from wired computers to wifi computers.
Old Dec 1, 2012, 06:28 PM   #9
Qwerty11
macrumors regular

Does anybody know the answer to this?
Old Dec 1, 2012, 10:00 PM   #10
switon
macrumors 6502a

RE: wired -> wireless -> wired ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qwerty11 View Post
Does anybody know the answer to this?
Hi Qwerty11,

Yes, this is not only possible, but is often done.

(...shortened to remove irrelevant details that were answered in private message to OP...)

So, in summary, one can setup almost any wired/wireless network connections that one pleases between multiple devices.

Regards,
Switon

Last edited by switon; Dec 2, 2012 at 08:22 AM. Reason: Question answered through private message, so shortened this post ...
switon is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > OS X > Mac OS X Server, Xserve, and Networking