Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Aidan5806

macrumors 6502
Feb 20, 2012
That's what I see happening.

iPhone 3G - 16GB
iPhone 3GS - 32GB
iPhone 4 - 32GB
iPhone 4S - 64GB
iPhone 5 - 64GB
iPhone 5S - 128GB
iPhone 6 - 128GB
etc, etc.

They seem to get storage bumps when it's more a spec and no redesign change, which I don't really mind.

I see where you're coming from, but all of those upgrades had one thing in common: there was another iOS device before it that had that higher capacity. Right now there is no 128gb iOS device at all. Now I'd love to see 128gb in an iOS device, but its more likely to be the 5th gen iPad that the next iPhone.

iParis

macrumors 68040
Jul 29, 2008
New Mexico
I see where you're coming from, but all of those upgrades had one thing in common: there was another iOS device before it that had that higher capacity. Right now there is no 128gb iOS device at all. Now I'd love to see 128gb in an iOS device, but its more likely to be the 5th gen iPad that the next iPhone.

True, though they might want to introduce a 128GB iPhone next whether the release be in June or fall, though definitely the fall, then introduce a 128GB. It will only be a few months before the iPad as oppose to 9-12 months afterward. I just see it as the cycle. Maybe you're right though and the iPad will be moved to be the iDevice to get the higher storage first as oppose to the iPod touch previously getting it. Though does the iPad have two NAND flash slots like the iPod touch does/did?

Last edited:

patent10021

macrumors 68040
Apr 23, 2004
By the time 2014 I think it's entirely possible that the home button will be gone. SJ wanted it gone years ago. There are other potential ways to do everything the home button does now (even DFU etc etc). It's the only mechanical [piece of the body] that can break down from user usage therefore really needs to go ASAP.

I'd rather see prosumer->pro level shutter speed than a larger photo sensor. That's the only thing from allowing me to ditch regular cameras. Takes great pics but not spontaneous ones.

jvmxtra

macrumors 65816
Sep 21, 2010
Main reason why I am done w/ iphone... Honestly? and Seriously? Fire these so called design engineers for iphone.. please... If their job is to put loyal iphone follower to sleep, they have done an excellent job.. Please wake me up when iphone 6 come out in 2014..

X5-599

macrumors regular
Oct 28, 2012
Main reason why I am done w/ iphone... Honestly? and Seriously? Fire these so called design engineers for iphone.. please... If their job is to put loyal iphone follower to sleep, they have done an excellent job.. Please wake me up when iphone 6 come out in 2014..

What? You want the horrible soap dish design from the 3G/S back?

Sedrick

macrumors 68030
Nov 10, 2010
Maybe you would, but I doubt it.

The problem Apple has with the "fanboy" crowd is that no matter WHAT they do, it will never be enough. No one that considers themselves a fanboy will ever be at a point where they aren't looking over the horizon at the next "latest and greatest" feature that will render their phone obsolete.

That's why they don't bother going ballistic with new features and "innovation". It doesn't effect sales. In fact it protects it. By adding features slowly, as they see fit, and not just putting everything they can into it, they ensure people will WANT to buy the next one a year later (or less).

If they didn't, people that aren't "fanboys" might very well see NO reason to upgrade. And if your number one source of revenue is selling phones, people not buying phones is a BAD thing.

They didn't put NFC in, even though they clearly could.

Did it hurt sales? They are a company first. For profit. I think a lot of people forget that when compiling "wish lists".

There will never be an iPhone that satisfies a true fanboy. Never. Otherwise they wouldn't be a fanboy. It's a paradox =).
Hmm, your definition of fanboy and mine are polar opposites. The 'fanboys' I see around here take anything Apple unloads without question or hesitation and admonish anyone who dares criticize what Apple has bestowed on the masses however problematic.

NFC? Who needs it.
iMaps? Works perfect for me!
Bendgate? Mine's perfect. You're making it up.
Scuffgate? Put a case on it!
Outdated OS? It Just Works!™
4" is now the perfect size!

johnlandino

macrumors member
Oct 25, 2009
do most people want a screen bigger than the 5's? all those surf board androids just seem too big to me. i dont think i want it to get bigger.

and how much thinner can phones get before they lose their structural integrity. i think we might have reached the limit with the 5 and its 'bendgate' scandal. unless they find a way to blast cellular signals through adamantium lol
seems like theyve filled most of the public demands as far as current cell phone technology. NFC would be nice but its not imperative that we get it any time soon. i think id be happy as long as the specs are bumped, the camera gets better and the outer design looks cooler than the last

xA4Hx

macrumors member
Feb 11, 2007
We all know it will be iPhone 5s. Body design will be identical and specs will just get bump. iPhone 6 will be following year.

Woodcrest64

macrumors 65816
Aug 14, 2006
Forget the 5S and 6, the one to really look forward to will be iPhone 7!.

Flexible technology will allow this foldable 6" phone it fit in a ticket pocket, battery life of 6 months and the piezo circuit will keep it charged as you walk.
A version of Siri will read your thoughts..no more talking out loud to it.
But it won,t be available in white.

That be awesome. Though im wondering when Apple will make a major UI change to iOS. It's only a matter of time.

ixodes

macrumors 601
Jan 11, 2012
Pacific Coast, USA
I wonder if Apple will take this opportunity to build something fresh, reminding us of what they're capable of ?

Or will their laser like focus on the money, impair their ability to relax the death grip they have on this three year old, highly profitable style.

In the mean time customers are creeping over to the Android Vendors. The once exciting & vibrant Apple environment has gone cold & uninteresting.

Only those who've never had one, or those who just keep buying the same old thing, keep Apple busy with orders.

Aidan5806

macrumors 6502
Feb 20, 2012
True, though they might want to introduce a 128GB iPhone next whether the release be in June or fall, though definitely the fall, then introduce a 128GB. It will only be a few months before the iPad as oppose to 9-12 months afterward. I just see it as the cycle. Maybe you're right though and the iPad will be moved to be the iDevice to get the higher storage first as oppose to the iPod touch previously getting it. Though does the iPad have to NAND flash slots like the iPod touch does/did?

I think technicalities like the NAND standard irrelevant when Apple is considering a set of features like capacity. Either way, i think a lot will have to happen in 2013 if we want to see 128gb iOS devices within the next couple years. Although, now that i think about it, making a 128gb iPod touch would be a great way to begin the end of the Classic......which i'll be sad to see go.

adildacoolset

macrumors 65816
Faster processor, improved camera, iOS7 - hardware wise I don' think we're in for many changes.

However - there are few pieces of tech that stand out as potential candidates if Apple feels they can make the experience of using it up to their standard:

NFC - Enough has been said about this, we all know it exists and is already in some Smartphones. Maybe this is an integration with Passbook.

Fingerprint Scanning - Apple has been in talks with AuthenTec to license/buy the technology. Might we see something new in iOS7 that takes advantage?

Haptic Feedback - Many folks thought this might be included in the new iPad. It's a way to experience texture on the screen. I still believe if we even ever see the tech implemented it's use is better suited for a larger screen, but who knows what Apple may have in mind.

Fingerprint scanning can hopefully mean multiple users and NFC. What better way to unlock a device with multiple users than the user just pressing his finger, then it unlocks it to his account

iParis

macrumors 68040
Jul 29, 2008
New Mexico
I think technicalities like the NAND standard irrelevant when Apple is considering a set of features like capacity. Either way, i think a lot will have to happen in 2013 if we want to see 128gb iOS devices within the next couple years. Although, now that i think about it, making a 128gb iPod touch would be a great way to begin the end of the Classic......which i'll be sad to see go.

I think there might have to be a 128GB iPhone before the iPod classic goes away. I had my mind in the iPod touch boat and it's the first time I said that to myself, but a lot more people seem to be carrying around an iPhone + iPod classic as oppose to iPod touch + iPod classic. I'd be very surprised if we didn't see 128GB iP---- sometime in 2013.

Nowwww if they suddenly update the iPod classic and it's storage then a lot of mine and others' predictions are thrown out the window and half the Apple fanbase is left confused. Haha. Not that we hate the classic, there's just so little that can happen with it now.

ant the ninja

macrumors 6502a
Nov 21, 2012
What? You want the horrible soap dish design from the 3G/S back?

Horrible soap dish design? What are you talking about? That design was great, it fit perfectly, if not better in the hand than the 4 and up. I'm sure many will agree with me. The 2G had the best design from a comfort standpoint, absolutely.

and is it really necesary to have 128gb in a phone? Doesnt that just seem like overkill?

Prime85

macrumors 6502a
Mar 1, 2012
Can I please enjoy my iPhone 5 first? Ok fine lets start predictions on the iPhone 9!

Appl3FTW

macrumors 603
Nov 15, 2012
Fixed something for you! And I doubt it will have wireless charging. Maybe 10MP instead of 12. I don't see the home button going away or screen size changing until the actual iPhone 6, two revisions from now.

Maybe I gave you my opinion on the release wrong and you did totally skip next year's revision.

why would u change OP's original post to 5S and then refer to your post as "maybe for the ip6"... which OP intended in the first place?

no sense :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

Appl3FTW

macrumors 603
Nov 15, 2012
for the :apple:5S
same 4 inch screen
bump on storage, 128gb
bump on camera, 10mp
faster processor, A7
color variety ala touch/nokia?
IOS 7

for the :apple:6
same 4 inch screen
thinner
carbon fiber (whatever material gets released for the macbook, anticipating cf)
same 128gb
same 10mp
faster processor, A8
same color selection
IOS 8

iParis

macrumors 68040
Jul 29, 2008
New Mexico
why would u change OP's original post to 5S and then refer to your post as "maybe for the ip6"... which OP intended in the first place?

no sense :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

Because his post was intended to be about the next iPhone, which for some reason he's under the impression will be called iPhone 6. What I mentioned was in reference to the next iPhone / iPhone 5S. I was saying maybe they'll get rid of the home button for the iPhone 6 because from my perspective that's two revisions from now.

Aidan5806

macrumors 6502
Feb 20, 2012
I think there might have to be a 128GB iPhone before the iPod classic goes away. I had my mind in the iPod touch boat and it's the first time I said that to myself, but a lot more people seem to be carrying around an iPhone + iPod classic as oppose to iPod touch + iPod classic. I'd be very surprised if we didn't see 128GB iP---- sometime in 2013.

Nowwww if they suddenly update the iPod classic and it's storage then a lot of mine and others' predictions are thrown out the window and half the Apple fanbase is left confused. Haha. Not that we hate the classic, there's just so little that can happen with it now.

True. I'd be interested to see what would happen if the Classic were updated. they could double the storage capacity with a new 1.8" HDD that WD just launched about 4 months ago......

zbarvian

macrumors 68010
Jul 23, 2011
My prediction for the iPhone 6, the next major revision (not 5S), whether it comes next year or the year after:

- 4.5-4.7" screen, higher resolution 16:9 display
- Slightly wider body, small bezel
- Different look, maybe a different home button and external
- Thinner, super thin
- Quad-core 20nm chip
- IGZO tech
- Some upcoming hardware innovation, yet to be seen

Those are safe guesses.

YsoSerious

macrumors 6502
Oct 8, 2008
Funny they pay the bills around here with these ads

Attachments

• Untitled.png
    Untitled.png
    85.6 KB · Views: 63

Prime85

macrumors 6502a
Mar 1, 2012
My prediction for the iPhone 6, the next major revision (not 5S), whether it comes next year or the year after:

- 4.5-4.7" screen, higher resolution 16:9 display
- Slightly wider body, small bezel
- Different look, maybe a different home button and external
- Thinner, super thin
- Quad-core 20nm chip
- IGZO tech
- Some upcoming hardware innovation, yet to be seen

Those are safe guesses.

Quadcore will most likely be in the 5S

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.