Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

millerj123

macrumors 68030
Mar 6, 2008
Person of Interest is pretty good. Of course such things are contrivances, like so much here...

Plus, it's on Thursdays, so if you've already settled down to watch "The Big Bang Theory", you just have to find 30 minutes of click, click, click until it comes on. I keep hoping for something decent in between, but no joy so far.

I was surprised at how fast "Rob" came and went, I mean, hey, that was pure comedy gold...

MICHAELSD

macrumors 603
Jul 13, 2008
NJ
Homeland is awesome. My wife and I watched the first season as it aired last year and she still talks about the season finale. We actually just picked up Showtime on our Uverse package so we can watch the current seasons of Dexter and Homeland. We'll cancel it again after the seasons are over.

Do yourself a favor and give Showtime's winter comedy lineup a shot. Those shows are definitely up there as superior to 99% of broadcast shows. Start Shameless On Demand, at least.

mscriv

macrumors 601
Aug 14, 2008
Dallas, Texas
Do yourself a favor and give Showtime's winter comedy lineup a shot. Those shows are definitely up there as superior to 99% of broadcast shows. Start Shameless On Demand, at least.

No worries we love Shameless. Keeping Showtime is really dependent upon what kind of offers At&t has going for Uverse. I've had HBO/Cinemax free for about a year now by simply cancelling and then signing back up for the 3 month free promotion. I don't like paying for premium channels as my bill is high enough already.

millerj123

macrumors 68030
Mar 6, 2008
The Science channel just had a Firefly marathon culminating with a 10th anniversary special.

Last Monday's episode of Castle was about a murder at a comicon, but they had Detective Beckett as the die hard fan of a Scifi series, not Nathan Fillion as the lead character of a Scifi series.

"Shiny."

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
For those in the UK (or who can receive British TV), BBC 2 have begun broadcasting (since last Friday when the first charming episode was broadcast) a series dedicated to celebrating 60 years of broadcasting where a legacy of superlative programmes (not just about nature and wildlife, those these featured strongly) were made (and indeed, commissioned) by the legendary naturalist, (and public servant), the superb, inspirational and wonderful , Sir David Attenborough.

In general, I watch very little TV, but anything by (and about) David Attenborough is well worth putting aside an hour or two in order to watch it.

millerj123

macrumors 68030
Mar 6, 2008
I started watching "Lie to Me" on Netflix. The stories are interesting, and it often takes turns I wasn't expecting. I am a little bummed that it was cancelled almost a year ago. Oh, well.

Huntn

macrumors Core
Original poster
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
I'm back into Battlestar Gallactica on Netflicks. In the 3rd season and they just killed off a major character. I am shocked. :eek: Now they are moving on to the trial of Gaius Baltar. I've always enjoyed his character along with the lovely No.6, hubba hubba. ;)

MV5BMTc1NTg1MDk3NF5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTYwNDYyMjI3._V1._SY317_CR16,0,214,317_.jpg

Last edited:

Huntn

macrumors Core
Original poster
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
With Dexter and Home Land season finals, and Walking Dead in hiatus, right now we've been amusing ourselves with Vampire Diaries which is becoming repetitive and Modern Family, which is still great. I was really hoping that Elena (Vampire Diaries) spoiler>>being turned<< end spoiler would really give the story a boost, but it really has not. But looking forward to Downton Abbey in January! :)

DowntonAbbey.jpg

Last edited:

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
With Dexter and Home Land season finals, and Walking Dead in hiatus, right now we've been amusing ourselves with Vampire Diaries which is becoming repetitive and Modern Family. I was really hoping that Elena (Vampire Diaries) spoiler>>being turned<< end spoiler would really give the story a boost, but it really has not. But looking forward to Downton Abbey in January! :)

A treat is in store for you, then. To my mind, Series Three is far, far better than Series Two was; it features much better (and more credible) plots, some great scenes, excellent acting and some real gut-wrenching drama. You'll enjoy it.

Huntn

macrumors Core
Original poster
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
A treat is in store for you, then. To my mind, Series Three is far, far better than Series Two was; it features much better (and more credible) plots, some great scenes, excellent acting and some real gut-wrenching drama. You'll enjoy it.

What impresses me most about historical dramas like this as compared to action films, is how human interactions and drama takes on heightened impact but in a relatively subtle manner, compared to explosions and kick ass fighting/action sequences, as in OMG, so and so is getting fired or they finally kissed! :)

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
What impresses me most about historical dramas like this as compared to action films, is how human interactions and drama takes on heightened impact but in a relatively subtle manner, compared to explosions and kick ass fighting/action sequences, as in OMG, so and so is getting fired or they finally kissed! :)

Oh, yes, I agree completely with you. Actually, in Downton Abbey, it also helps that the production values are lavish, it is beautifully shot, well acted, and above all, that - like all good soap operas - it is an excellent example of classy ensemble acting, rather than everyone else in the cast propping up, or supporting one or two main stars.

This also means that you can have a number of narrative arcs playing out simultaneously, and can vary the length, depth and tone of these respective stories. It also means that the story arcs themselves tend to focus on character development as they have the time to do so; action (and sometimes, plot) take second place to this. So, in such story lines human relations and relationships can be explored in detail over a season and you can get to know the characters and how they relate to one another, and how, in time and in turn, this can also change which is part of the attraction of such a series.

Apple fanboy

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Feb 21, 2012
Behind the Lens, UK
BBC 3 Pixar 25 Magic Moments 8:00 pm-9 pm

For those of you in the UK there is a program about the high's and low's of Pixar starting at 8. I'm sure you all know Pixar was one of Steve Jobs companies before he sold it (my wife didn't have a clue). Might be worth watching as there is naff all on again.

Huntn

macrumors Core
Original poster
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
For those of you in the UK there is a program about the high's and low's of Pixar starting at 8. I'm sure you all know Pixar was one of Steve Jobs companies before he sold it (my wife didn't have a clue). Might be worth watching as there is naff all on again.

Did Pixar have a low? I thought they had a long string of hits and lived happily ever after. ;) Yes, it would still be interesting to watch. :)

Apple fanboy

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Feb 21, 2012
Behind the Lens, UK
Did Pixar have a low? I thought they had a long string of hits and lived happily ever after. ;) Yes, it would still be interesting to watch. :)

Didn't see any lows. It was basically an advert for Pixar. I've seen more informative stuff on the extras DVD you get with Toy Story etc.

Huntn

macrumors Core
Original poster
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
Battle Star Galactica Post...I'm on the last season (4).
Holy Frack! Spoiler>> They just found Earth! Momentary joy... << end spoiler.

Image purposefully not displayed for those watching the series for the first time. :)

Huntn

macrumors Core
Original poster
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
Just finished 70+ episodes, 4 season of Battlestar Gallactica. Cool ending. Worth watching. In some ways more epic and cerebral than StarTrek Next Generation, my favorite scifi serial.

How many Cylons in this picture? :p If you answer, please shield or mark as spoiler for anyone who has not seen the series yet.
Battlestar-Galactica-Main-1.jpg

List of all Battestar Gallactica Episodes.

twietee

macrumors 603
Jan 24, 2012
just saw that 14 new episodes of Arrested Development are being confirmed. If true, that would be the best thing happening to my TV since years...fingers crossed, otherwise I'm afraid I just blue myself.

Huntn

macrumors Core
Original poster
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
Found The West documentary, about the history of the U.S. West by Ken Burns on Netflixs. I've seen it before, but it's been a long while. It is excellent. Now I remember, it also makes me feel disgust for the human race. :(

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.