Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Applications > Mac Applications and Mac App Store

Old Nov 30, 2012, 09:02 AM   #1
N10248
macrumors 6502a

iTunes Error -42408 - First real solution gets cookie. Solved - Cookie Redeemed

Having gone back to 10.7 from 11, I like many people are getting this message on launch and can't play any bought content.

I'm not going to use 11 and would rather use 10.7 in this state that that.

So who can resolve this without Time Machine or formatting, I have another Mac with iTunes 10.7 so can easily copy old frameworks across.

Also nothing in your user folder is causing it as it happens on a newly made user account too, so it must be a changed framework in the System or Library folders.

Last edited by N10248; Nov 30, 2012 at 03:04 PM.
N10248 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 30, 2012, 09:07 AM   #2
Tyler23
macrumors 68040

Quote:
Originally Posted by N10248 View Post
Having gone back to 10.7 from 11, I like many people are getting this message on launch and can't play any bought content.

I'm not going to use 11 and would rather use 10.7 in this state that that.

So who can resolve this without Time Machine or formatting, I have another Mac with iTunes 10.7 so can easily copy old frameworks across.

Also nothing in your user folder is causing it as it happens on a newly made user account too, so it must be a changed framework in the System or Library folders.
You should find an answer here http://http://forums.macrumors.com/s....php?t=1498777
Tyler23 is online now   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 30, 2012, 09:11 AM   #3
N10248
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyler23 View Post
Tried all of that, the problem is not caused by the Library files at all. Even when you have no iTunes folder present at all in the Music folder it still hapens.
Old Nov 30, 2012, 01:49 PM   #4
oddsratio
macrumors newbie

Bump- having the same issue.

I removed iTunes 11 + all support files from my system, including plist and the SC folder from shared. I reinstall 10.7 from the dmg fixed permissions, and it shows it in Disk Utility's details as fixing iTunes.

I tried using one of the previous iTunes libraries, so it doesn't have the conversion problem. Get this error message

I try to create a new library folder and this error message pops up. I'm guessing that once upgraded, your iTunes store account is now forced to connect to iTunes 11, as it's been notified of a change.

I see no way out of this.
oddsratio is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 30, 2012, 02:29 PM   #5
N10248
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by oddsratio View Post
your iTunes store account is now forced to connect to iTunes 11, as it's been notified of a change.
I don't think its altered as my old iMac with untouched 10.7 is fine.

If I cant solve it I'll back up my stuff and reinstall Snow Leopard when i'm not too busy.
Old Nov 30, 2012, 02:40 PM   #6
bogoss
macrumors newbie

After hours... this finally worked out! BUT, perform at your own risk, I was told it could possibly do some harm...

EXACTLY what I did:

1, uninstall itunes 11 using AppZapper

2, download 10.7 from this link http://appldnld.apple.com/iTunes10/0...iTunes10.7.dmg download pacifist as well: http://www.charlessoft.com/

3, open the 10.7 dmg file, you will see the pkg file(usally double click to install), but this time drag it out somewhere.

4, launch pacifist

5, drag the pkg file to pacifist and the click install from the menu bar

6, during installation, click replace everytime a window popping out (this is the key i reckon, something that can't be removed during uninstallation will be replaced by 10.7 completely thanks to pacifist)

7, installation finished, iTunes 10.7 comes back!

------

many people are using this process to downgrade without knowing that the iTunes library also needs to be recovered, so I am adding this too thanks to jasko at post #22
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xXKZ2IBNsIA

basically you need to recover your latest iTunes library which was created by iTunes 10, by using previous iTunes libraries or from time machine.

cheers

Last edited by bogoss; Dec 5, 2012 at 12:41 AM.
bogoss is offline   9 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 30, 2012, 03:00 PM   #7
N10248
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by bogoss View Post
After hours... this finally worked out! BUT, perform at your own risk, I was told it could possibly do some harm...

EXACTLY what I did:

2, download 10.7 from this link http://appldnld.apple.com/iTunes10/0...iTunes10.7.dmg download pacifist as well: http://www.charlessoft.com/

3, open the 10.7 dmg file, you will see the pkg file(usally double click to install), but this time drag it out somewhere.

4, launch pacifist

6, during installation, click replace everytime a window popping out (this is the key i reckon, something that can't be removed during uninstallation will be replaced by 10.7 completely thanks to pacifist)

You cracked it, Now go and spread the news....

I just deleted 11 without app zapper etc, followed the rest, and back workin

If you didn't deautherise your accounts before this itunes will ask for password when you try to play a video but will then say already autherised and then work fine - In other words i didn't waste an activation.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	cookie.jpg
Views:	42
Size:	58.3 KB
ID:	380748  

Last edited by N10248; Nov 30, 2012 at 03:06 PM.
N10248 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 30, 2012, 03:10 PM   #8
bogoss
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by N10248 View Post
You cracked it, Now go and spread the news....
Oh I did, but apple.com removed my post earlier, what a group of bastard.

anyway, not many search result about 42408, so people should be directed to here

----------

and oh, thanks for the cookie, my screen is getting wet from me licking....
bogoss is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 30, 2012, 07:15 PM   #9
nalanj
macrumors newbie

You have saved the day. Thank you!
nalanj is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 30, 2012, 11:39 PM   #10
ProConArt
macrumors newbie

Restore Library

Now can someone please explain to me how to preserve your library, playlist, etc. throughout this process?
ProConArt is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 1, 2012, 12:13 AM   #11
bogoss
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProConArt View Post
Now can someone please explain to me how to preserve your library, playlist, etc. throughout this process?
import from here, it's the iTunes folder previously created iTunes in your Music folder
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot 2012-12-01 at 2.08.31 PM.jpg
Views:	72
Size:	94.0 KB
ID:	380846  
bogoss is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 1, 2012, 06:27 AM   #12
atara7
macrumors newbie

Thanks bogoss!!!

Saved my day!!!
atara7 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 1, 2012, 07:33 AM   #13
worldwide
macrumors newbie

Thanks bogoss. Works perfectly so far.
worldwide is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 1, 2012, 09:05 AM   #14
jasko
macrumors 6502

I keep getting "The file “iTunes Library.itl” cannot be read because it was created by a newer version of iTunes. Would you like to download iTunes now?"

Only gives me an option to Quit or Download iTunes. How do I avoid this?

EDIT: Nevermind. Watched a tutorial on YouTube. Thanks bogoss! F iTunes 11. I need my coverflow.

Last edited by jasko; Dec 1, 2012 at 09:19 AM.
jasko is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 1, 2012, 09:37 AM   #15
ProConArt
macrumors newbie

Quote:
import from here, it's the iTunes folder previously created iTunes in your Music folder
Sorry, you want me to replace the itl file, or the entire itunes folder.

nvm i got it all figured out u have to save ur entire itunes folder and then replace the new itl file with the old one in the previous itunes libraries.

Last edited by ProConArt; Dec 1, 2012 at 11:53 AM.
ProConArt is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 1, 2012, 02:04 PM   #16
pipep
macrumors member

Big thanks bogoss !

what a piece of crappy software they send to my computer.
pipep is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 1, 2012, 04:51 PM   #17
obyvatel
macrumors newbie

bogoss,

I just registered on MacRumors to say thanks to you.

Damn apple, it seems that once you go up the only way is down, and all this really bad quality control is slowly, but strongly, frustrating many many people.

thanks again bogoss. More cookies and hugs!
obyvatel is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 1, 2012, 08:03 PM   #18
WarrenFields
macrumors member

Thank You! Finally got that garbage (iTunes 11) removed from my computer.... And to think, I was so excited for this new release of iTunes.
Old Dec 1, 2012, 08:21 PM   #19
bogoss
macrumors newbie

thanks folks,
never used pacifist before, after thousands of reading and install reinstall I realized it might be the only way to save me so had to try it out to get rid of that beautiful piece of rubbish of iTunes 11 as much as I love the artwork and thingy, I knew it could be for many people a matter of time to realize how inconvenient and impractical the new iTunes 11 is to use as a music player(but it's a perfect artwork displayer, as long as you don't shuffle or play your own playlists, who doesn't though?)

Anyway glad I am not the only one and it worked out for all of you too! and make sure you uncheck the "check for updates automatically" from the preference...
bogoss is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 1, 2012, 09:28 PM   #20
cowboybetty
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasko View Post
I keep getting "The file “iTunes Library.itl” cannot be read because it was created by a newer version of iTunes. Would you like to download iTunes now?"

Only gives me an option to Quit or Download iTunes. How do I avoid this?

EDIT: Nevermind. Watched a tutorial on YouTube. Thanks bogoss! F iTunes 11. I need my coverflow.
Could you post a link to the video?? I need my cover flow too, and there is literally NO WAY I am going to use iTunes 11.
cowboybetty is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 1, 2012, 10:23 PM   #21
DIEDI
macrumors newbie

Quote:

EXACTLY what I did:

4, launch pacifist

Ok did all this but pacifist has all commands greyed out. : This is nightmare.

I have just installed mountain lion so I do have a backup of my whole system. .

I'm just not that good at all this stuff.

Well I now have iTunes 10.7 back , no error message, most of my music. But I'll be damned if i know how I did it. I'll try and work it out. Didn't use pacifist in the end.

Last edited by DIEDI; Dec 2, 2012 at 01:27 AM. Reason: Update
DIEDI is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 2, 2012, 01:35 AM   #22
jasko
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by cowboybetty View Post
Could you post a link to the video?? I need my cover flow too, and there is literally NO WAY I am going to use iTunes 11.
Well, I followed instructions from the post, then followed this videos instructions after:

Old Dec 2, 2012, 02:16 AM   #23
macdoofus
macrumors member

all of the above, a few twist, but it's all there. Worked! The Vid really got me to the finish line. Many thanks! edit started with bogoss post # 6, end jasko vid post #22 DONE Many thanks to those behind the original the instruction.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasko View Post
Well, I followed instructions from the post, then followed this videos instructions after:

edit: I didn't use bogoss step #1. I simply deleted iTunes. I will credit the steps and also Pacifist. I also used Onyx (Os X maintenance routines, etc) to do whatever it does. It all worked. Yay!

----------

thanks bogoss

Last edited by macdoofus; Dec 2, 2012 at 02:28 AM.
macdoofus is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 2, 2012, 04:14 AM   #24
gassjack
macrumors newbie

You guys are freaking awesome!!!! Thank you so much for getting me back to 10.7, I'm not the most techy person so I'd be stuck in the nightmare of iT11 if it wasn't for you. Muchas gracias indeed.
Old Dec 2, 2012, 04:17 AM   #25
bigfib
macrumors regular

Quote:

EXACTLY what I did:

4, launch pacifist

Worked for me, thanks so much.
Because iTunes 10.7 was giving me an error message (this itunes library was created with a newer version...) I also had to do one additional step which was to restore the archived itunes library file as explained here:

http://technicallyeasy.net/2009/03/r...tunes-library/

Coverflow is restored. Cheers apple. That's one hour of my life I won't be getting back.
bigfib is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Apple Applications > Mac Applications and Mac App Store