Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

siiip5

macrumors 6502
Nov 13, 2012
Patently false.

Unless by superior, you mean slightly easier to use. And even that is debatable. It's not that hard to figure out smartphones these days. To get to some of the more indepth features of Android, sure, there are learning curves.

----------

True, to some degree. But you make it sound as if people are switching to Android just for the sake of something different.

It's that, but I think people are switching mainly because it does more things, and does more things better.

I look at a smartphone and believe in order for it to be smart, it should be able to do basic computer functions. With the iphone and ipad, Apple has taken this away from the user in an attempt to ensure the OS runs smoothly and people can't screw with the phone. Apple does everything in their power to maintain control.

Would you buy a laptop that didn't have a file manager, wouldn't let you download or uupload any type of file, prevent you from using a keyboard or mouse of your choice, not allow you to attach multiple files to your email, only allow you to conduct one operation or program at a time, prevent you from putting files and folders where you want on the home screen, prevent you from doing any sort of customization to alter the look of your screen, and so forth?
And then overcharge you for it. Somehow, I don't think many people would buy that computer.

This is why I can't include Apple in the Smartphone category. Or the iPad as a true laptop replacement. Just to restrictive. I am sitting here typing this out on a mini bluetooth flexible keyboard and using a BT mouse with my Nexus 7. Other than the S3 or Note2 having a smaller screen, they can do the exact same thing and replace my laptop, if need be. The iPhone is literally a touch screen, feature phone. Nothing more. iPad falls under this same heading. And that is why many people dump the iDevice in favor of a mobile device that can function more like a PC.

onthecouchagain

macrumors 604
Mar 29, 2011
I look at a smartphone and believe in order for it to be smart, it should be able to do basic computer functions. With the iphone and ipad, Apple has taken this away from the user in an attempt to ensure the OS runs smoothly and people can't screw with the phone. Apple does everything in their power to maintain control.

Would you buy a laptop that didn't have a file manager, wouldn't let you download or uupload any type of file, prevent you from using a keyboard or mouse of your choice, not allow you to attach multiple files to your email, only allow you to conduct one operation or program at a time, prevent you from putting files and folders where you want on the home screen, prevent you from doing any sort of customization to alter the look of your screen, and so forth?
And then overcharge you for it. Somehow, I don't think many people would buy that computer.

This is why I can't include Apple in the Smartphone category. Or the iPad as a true laptop replacement. Just to restrictive. I am sitting here typing this out on a mini bluetooth flexible keyboard and using a BT mouse with my Nexus 7. Other than the S3 or Note2 having a smaller screen, they can do the exact same thing and replace my laptop, if need be. The iPhone is literally a touch screen, feature phone. Nothing more. iPad falls under this same heading. And that is why many people dump the iDevice in favor of a mobile device that can function more like a PC.

You make a solid case.

That's why I enjoy my iPad. I require much less of my tablet than I do of my smartphone.

tbayrgs

macrumors 604
Jul 5, 2009

No debate from me, Android devices offer a greater amount of capabilities and flexibility but I'm sorry, the picture you paint of the iPhone/iPad as feature phones is a touch ridiculous.

You have very specific needs from your devices--Apple can't meet all of those needs so Android is a better fit--understood. But to claim that everyone else using an Android device is doing so for the same reasons is quite a bit of a stretch. You really think the general public needs their phone to be a laptop replacement and unless it can do that, it's not a capable phone? It's called a smartphone, not a laptop phone.

Both devices offer a ton of functionality, far too many to list and many of which are done far better than computers of not too long ago yet you basically classified the iPhone in the same category as the Moto Razr flip phone. Sorry, that's just ignorant or flamebait.

And I'm typing this on my iPad with a bluetooth keyboard as well, not that I need to. Also why on earth do you want to use a bluetooth mouse on a device designed to be used as a touch device in the first place? Do you find touch screens and their keyboards too cumbersome to use? Sounds like a different device might be right up your alley, called a laptop--and you wouldn't even need to tote around that mouse. ;)

Last edited:

tbayrgs

macrumors 604
Jul 5, 2009
And to address the OP's question--

People defend Android because, hard as it may be to believe :eek:, some of us don't wear rose colored Apple shaped glasses and are capable of objectively looking at the merits/flaws of any or all devices available to us.

I like MR quite a bit, more so since the creation of this sub-forum and have been a reasonably active member here for a couple of years but the blind loyalty of the Apple cult eventually wore me down as well. In fact, I find myself spending very little time here outside this forum as it's one of the few places where one can have a reasonably civil conversation/debate about things Apple or non-Apple, even though most of my tech is currently Apple gear (waiting anxiously to play with my new Nexus 4 ). I visit a couple of Android sites as well but find discussion there also tends to be a bit one-sided in the other direction. It's a relatively small group here but I've learned a lot more about non-Apple here than most other sites and enjoy the lively debate.

I love the standard (I'm paraphrasing of course) "why do you even come to MR if you aren't ready to swear loyalty to all things Apple and never say a bad thing about them, so help you Steve Jobs!". Last I checked, it's a site to get Apple news and discuss Apple products, not pledge your firstborn child to them.

Last edited:

siiip5

macrumors 6502
Nov 13, 2012
No debate from me, Android devices offer a greater amount of capabilities and flexibility but I'm sorry, the picture you paint of the iPhone/iPad as feature phones is a touch ridiculous.

You have very specific needs from your devices--Apple can't meet all of those needs so Android is a better fit--understood. But to claim that everyone else using an Android device is doing so for the same reasons is quite a bit of a stretch. You really think the general public needs their phone to be a laptop replacement and unless it can do that, it's not a capable phone? It's called a smartphone, not a laptop phone.

Both devices offer a ton of functionality, far too many to list and many of which are done far better than computers of not too long ago yet you basically classified the iPhone in the same category as the Moto Razr flip phone. Sorry, that's just ignorant or flamebait.

And I'm typing this on my iPad with a bluetooth keyboard as well, not that I need to. Also why on earth do you want to use a bluetooth mouse on a device designed to be used as a touch device in the first place? Do you find touch screens and their keyboards too cumbersome to use? Sounds like a different device might be right up your alley, called a laptop--and you wouldn't even need to tote around that mouse. ;)

Fair enough. My wording may have been a bit strong on calling the iPhone a 'feature phone and hence appear as flame bait. It isn't the first time I have called it a feature phone either. I will refrain from doing so in the future.
My beef is with Apple and their restrictions on iOS. It is very frustrating playing cat and mouse games with Apple when you have to jailbreak your iDevice to get functionality, to then have Apple do everything in their power to take that freedom away from you with the next update. So you either don't update and not get the new capabilities or wait months for a handful of people to find another exploit. Infuriating! I simply got tired of dealing with the b.s. and switched to Android. Very liberating feeling.

All that said, I simply don't view an iPhone as a smartphone. Too much basic functionality has been taken away. And I am referring to very, very basic things. Any computer type device should be able to access all of its files and folders. You should be able to save, transfer, delete, or edit any file, in any user folder. You should be able to upload or download files from your phone to or from web pages. You should be able to attach any file from your phone to an email, or multiple files from your folders.
These a basic functions that any PC, even the crappiest Net book can do, yet you can't with any iPhone or iPad. This makes no sense if you shell out $650 for a device designed to be a smartphone or laptop replacement. The capabilities are there for I devices to do these things, Apple simply won't let you.

As for my but mouse and keyboard, I take them to work or business trips via a backpack. I have no need for my MacBook Pro any more. My Nexus 7 can do everything my MBP can which is much easier to do with a mouse. (Photoshop, PowerPoint,etc)

Black Magic

macrumors 68030
Sep 30, 2012
Fair enough. My wording may have been a bit strong on calling the iPhone a 'feature phone and hence appear as flame bait. It isn't the first time I have called it a feature phone either. I will refrain from doing so in the future.
My beef is with Apple and their restrictions on iOS. It is very frustrating playing cat and mouse games with Apple when you have to jailbreak your iDevice to get functionality, to then have Apple do everything in their power to take that freedom away from you with the next update. So you either don't update and not get the new capabilities or wait months for a handful of people to find another exploit. Infuriating! I simply got tired of dealing with the b.s. and switched to Android. Very liberating feeling.

All that said, I simply don't view an iPhone as a smartphone. Too much basic functionality has been taken away. And I am referring to very, very basic things. Any computer type device should be able to access all of its files and folders. You should be able to save, transfer, delete, or edit any file, in any user folder. You should be able to upload or download files from your phone to or from web pages. You should be able to attach any file from your phone to an email, or multiple files from your folders.
These a basic functions that any PC, even the crappiest Net book can do, yet you can't with any iPhone or iPad. This makes no sense if you shell out $650 for a device designed to be a smartphone or laptop replacement. The capabilities are there for I devices to do these things, Apple simply won't let you.

As for my but mouse and keyboard, I take them to work or business trips via a backpack. I have no need for my MacBook Pro any more. My Nexus 7 can do everything my MBP can which is much easier to do with a mouse. (Photoshop, PowerPoint,etc)

The things you mention above that you consider basic features most people don't care about. Why does the average Joe need a file manager on a phone? The email capabilities are just fine for the most part. It allows you to send quick emails and such when on the go. The average Joe does not require the ability to send RAR files or being able to download torrents on the phone. Apple gets it. The market agrees apparently.

Techies/Geeks drool over android's openness and hardware specs because they like to tinker. Android is built by techies and geeks so it's a perfect fit. They are trying hard to mimic iPhone style and ease of use though.

SomeDudeAsking

macrumors 65816
Nov 23, 2010
The things you mention above that you consider basic features most people don't care about. Why does the average Joe need a file manager on a phone? The email capabilities are just fine for the most part. It allows you to send quick emails and such when on the go. The average Joe does not require the ability to send RAR files or being able to download torrents on the phone. Apple gets it. The market agrees apparently.

Techies/Geeks drool over android's openness and hardware specs because they like to tinker. Android is built by techies and geeks so it's a perfect fit. They are trying hard to mimic iPhone style and ease of use though.

iPhone and ease of use do not belong in the same sentence unless it is about how convoluted it is to use an iPhone for basic tasks.

Dr McKay

macrumors 68040
Aug 11, 2010
Kirkland
If people are defending it, it means someone on here is firstly attacking it. Often some of the attacks I see are pure lies. Ive seen people doing the same with Windows too. If I see people lying about competition, I shall correct them.

Last edited:

nickchallis92

macrumors 6502a
Mar 4, 2012
London
See, this is the great thing about Android.

iOS is easy to use but frustrating if you want more out of it

Android is as easy to use but if you want to tinker with it, you can without it getting in the way of basic functionality

in this day and age there is, for me, absolutely no reason to pick an iOS device.

Crooks

macrumors regular
Jun 23, 2012
CALIFORNIA!
You make a solid case.

That's why I enjoy my iPad. I require much less of my tablet than I do of my smartphone.

I'm the opposite. I require more of my tablet. Which is why I have an i5 and a Nexus 7. I want my phone experience to be smoother, which I have found better on iOS. (NOT to say Android isn't smooth!!!). iOS apps are also better optimized IMO.

It's really just personal preference.

daveathall

macrumors 68020
Aug 6, 2010
North Yorkshire
Im not really sure why Android, iOS, Apple, Samsung etc etc are attacked/defended, I have both iOS and Android, Apple, LG and Samsung, I find that they compliment each other, I enjoy all the technology I have purchased, my next acquisition will be an iPad mini that my son is buying me for Christmas.

The way some members here go on one would think that they have a vested interest in company A or company B, what the members here should realise is, that in the final reckoning they are a means towards an end they are used to make the company and shareholders richer, thats it, the only loyalty these companies have is to their shareholders. There's nothing wrong with that, thats why they are in business.

Apollo 13

macrumors 6502a
May 29, 2010
Because this forum has a lot of Android fanboys on it. I use to be one of them...signed up here before even owning anything Apple.

macrem

macrumors 65816
Mar 11, 2008

Apple isn't trying to maintain control over your devices... They've created an ecosystem where 9-10 people can do what they need to do without getting malware, spyware or bricking their devices. Those who want more control can easily jailbreak their devices. Although I tinker a lot with Linux, on iOS I'm happy not to have to & never jailbreak.

Android has its own restrictions, which is one reason why rooting Android is popular. The other reason is because your device manufacturer might not upgrade the ROM for your device, so either you're stuck with the same version or you root your device. This is why left Android (couldn't get built-in turn-by-turn navigation without rooting), but now I think there are more reliable manufacturers who offer regular updates.

With iOS, you always get the latest updates (until your device is no longer supported).

onthecouchagain

macrumors 604
Mar 29, 2011
With iOS, you always get the latest updates (until your device is no longer supported).

But without the latest features. iPhone 4 owners missed out on Siri and are now missing out on Navigation. Both these are the main features of their respective devices.

macrem

macrumors 65816
Mar 11, 2008
But without the latest features. iPhone 4 owners missed out on Siri and are now missing out on Navigation. Both these are the main features of their respective devices.
Good point. The iPad 3 got Siri during an upgrade but not the iPhone 4. I heard this is because some features wouldn't be buttery smooth on the 4. I'd bet this is true for the 4 but not so sure about the 4s.

Doc750

macrumors 6502a
Aug 11, 2010
I've been lurking on some android forums, as soon as i find one i like, no more android talk on here. I'll just come for the mac discussion. besides this place is turning into what crackberry was when the iPhone first become popular. Just a bunch of angry fanboys afraid to try something new.

VulchR

macrumors 68040
Jun 8, 2009
Scotland
I've been lurking on some android forums, as soon as i find one i like, no more android talk on here. I'll just come for the mac discussion. besides this place is turning into what crackberry was when the iPhone first become popular. Just a bunch of angry fanboys afraid to try something new.

Good to know. There are fans of the iPhone here who aren't angry about, or afraid of, Android. They just prefer iOS (as many BB fans prefer BB, WP fans prefer WP, and Android fans prefer Android). Whatever floats your boat....

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.