Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

thekb

macrumors 6502a
May 8, 2010
I never considered CCC to be a free app. I tried it, liked it, and paid for it.

From the overall sentiment... it seems that many (if not most) consider "donationware" to be "freeware". Given that... I can't blame the author for making it a paid app.

Based on the dialog box that comes up within the new software itself, it previously WAS freeware. See the first sentence in red below:

2012_10_07_pA1_CCC_updateWindow.png

----------

You can install it on any computer "you own or control" with just one license.

Thanks, Weaselboy. I had not seen that provision.

flynz4

macrumors 68040
Aug 9, 2009
Portland, OR
Based on the dialog box that comes up within the new software itself, it previously WAS freeware. See the first sentence in red below:

----------

Thanks, Weaselboy. I had not seen that provision.

It was pretty obvious that the author considered it donation ware in the past, and asked for donations. It seems to me that the statement about "freeware" is probably a fairly accurate statement of what the product had become. I suspect that relatively few (%) people really did pay anything.

/Jim

fhall1

macrumors 68040
Dec 18, 2007
(Central) NY State of mind
It was pretty obvious that the author considered it donation ware in the past, and asked for donations. It seems to me that the statement about "freeware" is probably a fairly accurate statement of what the product had become. I suspect that relatively few (%) people really did pay anything.

/Jim

Sometimes it pays to do the "right" thing....I donated $10 a few months back and got my upgrade for free.

henryseiden

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 24, 2009
Any Upgrades in this new version?

Sometimes it pays to do the "right" thing....I donated $10 a few months back and got my upgrade for free.

I think that the author is waiting to recoup his time and/or gathering for a big upgrade assault (being kind:rolleyes:). In the time this thread has gone on (since version 3.5.1), there hasn't been one upgrade.

Hmmm... I can think of some issues that could be fixed. Bet you can, too. Just saying'... The paid app model doesn't seem to be too good for fixes. Donorware worked better.

Compare with Find File (Templemann) who has had numerous upgrades since going to MAS. It is much better supported on MAS:apple:.

ChrisMan287

macrumors 6502
Nov 18, 2012
NY.
I downloaded CCC last week for free straight off their site and was able to use it without issues. I think it was a trial though.

Price isn't bad FWIW. SuperDuper! is more expensive ($28).

mpmusicny

macrumors newbie
Dec 5, 2012
Couple of questions . .

I've been using CCC to clone my system drive for way over a month now - it continues to clone at 11.30 every evening and daily inform me that the clone has completed successfully. Thing is, I'm still using the demo. Whenever I open the actual application, it informs me that I'm still using the demo and asks me if i want to continue the trial. Well, sure. I know the basic cloning is included with the trial. each time it boots up, it takes maybe 10 minutes to scan the files. Is that what I would avoid by paying for the full version? Just trying to figure out my options.

Also, I already own Chronosync, and didn't realize until after I'd started using CCC that Chronosync can also do bootable clones . . If i decide later to go with Chronosync, would i have to start from scratch (and risk a little dangerous non-backed up time) or would it see that CCC clone and be able to start working off that?

thx

Malcolm

Oshawapilot

macrumors newbie
Jan 25, 2007
Courtice Ontario Canada
Amyone else find 3.4.2 (the last free version) crashing on 10.8.2? I just upgraded to ML a few nights ago and went to fire up CCC to make a clone. I got the warning that "this version of CCC is not qualified" etc etc, but then instead of actually continuing to launch, it crashes instead.

If I attempt to reinstall an old 3.4.2 download it won't destroy my ability to use the free version will it? That's assuming I can actually find a source for 3.4.2 still.

I agree with others though, SuperDuper (At $10 less) is looking like a better deal now that the two are both payware and competing with each other. I made a clone using it instead last night since CCC is more or less dead in the water for me right now.

henryseiden

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 24, 2009
Older (formerly donor ware) versions aren't going to run reliably in ML

Amyone else find 3.4.2 (the last free version) crashing on 10.8.2? I just upgraded to ML a few nights ago and went to fire up CCC to make a clone. I got the warning that "this version of CCC is not qualified" etc etc, but then instead of actually continuing to launch, it crashes instead.
Dude, bite the bullet already. :D

henryseiden

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 24, 2009
I've donated and I will not hesitate to buy it either. It is good software and he deserves to be paid.
/Jim

Likewise! Depend on CCC for regular interval backups using for overall system (startup), Documents, Movies, Pictures and Virtual (Windows) machines.

I use Retrospect for my "Primary Backup". Actually, CCC and Retro have their uses in my plan. We have three machines and use both independent of each other for full back ups so there is redundant backup. At no time is any machine completely vulnerable.

Scattering my backup among eight drives (my family of JBODs), in two groups - FW800, four drive set, and a group of four USB drives (PATA/SATA bare drives in a Startech drive slotted, sort-of hot swappable carrier) – all running on a recent MacMini Server, provides flexibility and sufficient space for all backups and other file sharing uses. There have been occasional drive failures and fairly easy recoveries over the past 10 years, but it's something that works. I am next planning a move of all this hardware when we sell our house. That should prove interesting.

I found something that works fine, for me in my networked environment (for each app). Planning on sticking with it. Having two different apps running backup with CCC in a distributed environment seems to work well as a backup plan component. Certainly worth the price.

The documentation on what's running on what machine was a little cumbersome to build (one of CCC's drawbacks is that any backup up of a single machine is best done from the machine itself, there is no server version). We developed a method to do it that's different for each app and that reliably works.

Retro is more suited for server use.

Last edited:

jpdemers

macrumors newbie
Mar 9, 2009
New York, NY
Downgrading to 3.4.7

For those stuck with an expired trial period, who don't want to pay the $40, it's still possible to download v3.4.7 for free. It will successfully write an incremental backup to your current clone, and use the existing plist. (Don't delete the ancillary files when you move v3.5 to the trash.)

I don't encourage freeloading, but seems that it's no longer possible to make a donation for the old version. I guess that makes it officially freeware. (Running fine on my iMac under OS 10.8.3)

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.