Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

F123D

macrumors 68040
Sep 16, 2008
Del Mar, CA

Apple-Kool-Aid.jpg

SomeDudeAsking

macrumors 65816
Nov 23, 2010
I can give your iPhone a free treatment to make it look like it has a cool worn down look: I will throw it in a dryer with some rocks for 5 minutes. All you have to pay is shipping and handling.

lke

macrumors 6502a
Jun 19, 2009
A bend iphone 5 is so sexy that I could not resist touching one.

Also that old look is amazing, I could not imagine how bad it will look after one year or two years.

In 7 years the iphone 5 will auto destruct, maybe it was built with this in mind. It uses advanced systems of recycle. Go :apple: keep building auto destructive products they are sexier and cooler.

----------

I think it's defective coating as I have dropped my phone, scratched it with a needle on accident, and ran an aluminum bumper along it on accident when I was trying to put it on and haven't done any damage to it, seems like maybe they skipped a part in the coating process on accident in the beginning maybe

Maybe you are right, I could not think that a company like Apple could keep building products that auto destruct alone.

Also the bend issue maybe it was fixed already with new iphones and later they will release a better frame to avoid the bend issue if drop or in other situations.

x-evil-x

macrumors 603
Jul 13, 2008
I think you are in the minority of people that loved a scuffed phone

but each to their own

I have mine cased up for that very reason

The Black IMO looks great but showing silver under bezel is just puts me off

and no worn jeans don't look good to me. I'd rather have jeans with no holes and jeans that are more solid

so you are turned off by the silver showing but it never really see the whole phone because you put it in a case?

Sedrick

macrumors 68030
Nov 10, 2010
Anyone who thinks that kind of wear is acceptable is deluding themselves. My two year old 4 looks better than that. He'll, my 3 year old 3GS looks better than that.

Kid yourself all you want, that looks like hell.

deannnnn

macrumors 68020
Jun 4, 2007
New York City & South Florida
I want my phone to be perfect, but it's usability is far more important to me than it's physical perfection. That's why I go no case, no screen protector, totally naked. Will it get some minor wear and tear over time? Definitely. But it will have accumulated that wear and tear while providing a great service to me. Worth it.

alphaod

macrumors Core
Feb 9, 2008
NYC
Being okay with scratches is not the same as total disregard for the care of your stuff.

I don't care that much if I scratch my phone, but I will still take steps to prevent it like adding a screen protector, a protection film (or skin), or using a lightweight case or bumper. Even something as simple as keeping my keys and coins in another pocket is good preventive measure.

Same thing with a lot of things. I have a dozen dings, scratches, scrapes on my daily driver (car), but I don't go about everyday with total disregard running over everything and bumping everything.

jctevere

macrumors 6502
Feb 7, 2009
I don't get why people complain their phone has scratched when they keep it in the same pocket as their keys...

Is the iPhone 5 rear shell as scratch resistant as the iPhone 4/4S? No, but it is MUCH more drop resistant. I can't tell you how many people I see with cracked back glass or front glass on an iPhone 4/4S.

I have not changed my habits at all. I never use screen/film protectors. All I have had on my prior iPhone 4 and now the iPhone 5 are bumper cases. I've gone through at least 2 iPhone 4 glass backs and 1 front glass screen. I have dropped my iPhone 5 a fair number of times already and it is still mint. No scratches on the front or rear.

I think the only part that is susceptible to scratching easily is the side black band. The back is pretty hard to scratch unless you do so intentionally. And like I mentioned before, black sharpie marker matches it almost perfectly, and a bumper case protects exactly that area - and will hide any existing damage you may have.

lke

macrumors 6502a
Jun 19, 2009
I have not changed my habits at all. I never use screen/film protectors. All I have had on my prior iPhone 4 and now the iPhone 5 are bumper cases. I've gone through at least 2 iPhone 4 glass backs and 1 front glass screen. I have dropped my iPhone 5 a fair number of times already and it is still mint. No scratches on the front or rear.

What about the bend issue? Some people say the iphone will bend if dropped

Leonard1818

macrumors 68020
Nov 15, 2011
Doubt that'll come until 5S

Why? Companies tweak the production process mid-cycle all the time. They could have already done it and just not said anything to the customer... the customer doesn't have to know every happening of their business...

S

syd430

Why? Companies tweak the production process mid-cycle all the time. They could have already done it and just not said anything to the customer... the customer doesn't have to know every happening of their business...

Can anyone point to a documented instance where Apple has done this?

I know many companies do this. My Dell U2410 has gone through many revisions while keeping the same model number.

I've always wondered if Apple do this as well.

Edit: not talking about scuffs etc, but actual modifications to the product

Last edited by a moderator:

trozau

macrumors regular
Jul 4, 2010
Appleland, USA
Can anyone point to a documented instance where Apple has done this?

I know many companies do this. My Dell U2410 has gone through many revisions while keeping the same model number.

I've always wondered if Apple do this as well.

Edit: not talking about scuffs etc, but actual modifications to the product

Yep. They were the iPhones 3GS, 4S and the coming 5S. :D

mankar4

macrumors 6502a
Aug 23, 2007
USA
This is why I got my wife a white one. The nicks are there, but they can't be seen.

jctevere

macrumors 6502
Feb 7, 2009
What about the bend issue? Some people say the iphone will bend if dropped

Bending? I think what you are referring to is if the phone is dropped without a case on the corners, it sometimes flattens or dents the edges.

EDIT: After looking up claims of bending - I think that these people have done some serious damage to their phones, and it is NOT widespread as the articles suggest. I've dropped my phone many times, with a bumper case, keep it in my tight pockets, etc. And my phone nor the other 4 iPhone 5's in my family exhibit any bending signs.

I think that these people had to put some pretty serious force to make it bend like that...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.