Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone

Old Dec 2, 2012, 02:42 PM   #1
Dlcinnc
macrumors newbie

Applecare for iPhone - Questions

Hi All, Sorry if this has been shared and discussed but I was interested in the most up to date info. We are getting an iPhone 4 for each of my kids for Christmas presents and want to make sure this valuable gift (they do not have to know they are free upgrades right now) are protected. Verizon has the protection plan for $10 a month. There also is Applecare which from what I can see is going for about $80 on Amazon. Any experiences to share on the best of the options? Seems like the Applecare on Amazon as opposed to the Apple store is a good idea.

Thanks for reading. I appreciate your thoughts.
Dlcinnc is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 2, 2012, 02:44 PM   #2
MisterKeeks
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dlcinnc View Post
Hi All, Sorry if this has been shared and discussed but I was interested in the most up to date info. We are getting an iPhone 4 for each of my kids for Christmas presents and want to make sure this valuable gift (they do not have to know they are free upgrades right now) are protected. Verizon has the protection plan for $10 a month. There also is Applecare which from what I can see is going for about $80 on Amazon. Any experiences to share on the best of the options? Seems like the Applecare on Amazon as opposed to the Apple store is a good idea.

Thanks for reading. I appreciate your thoughts.
Verizon = More expensive, deal w/ Verizon

Apple = Cheaper, don't deal w/ Verizon

Get the Applecare.
MisterKeeks is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 2, 2012, 03:21 PM   #3
scaredpoet
macrumors 603

The only advantage you get out of the Verizon plan is, I THINK it covers if the device is lost or stolen, which you don't get with AppleCare+. You might want to verify that to be sure though.

In any case, dealing directly with Apple for repairs or replacements is a huge plus.
Old Dec 2, 2012, 03:40 PM   #4
eyoungren
macrumors 603

Send a message via AIM to eyoungren Send a message via MSN to eyoungren Send a message via Yahoo to eyoungren Send a message via Skype™ to eyoungren
Applecare+ will cover you for three replacements due to accidental damage (drops, water, etc). No matter where you are in your warranty coverage with Applecare+ though after the third replacement you're done. Apple drops you period. If that's out of the 1 year warranty period then your coverage is done with. This does not included defects or problems with the phone that aren't your fault.

Squaretrade also has similar coverage (you can also purchase after you have bought the phone for an increased fee). It's basically the same as Applecare+ but the difference is that Apple will take care of you direct. Squaretrade only reimburses you. You have to pay the cost upfront then submit your claim to Squaretrade.
Old Dec 2, 2012, 03:43 PM   #5
itjw
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by eyoungren View Post
Applecare+ will cover you for three replacements due to accidental damage (drops, water, etc). No matter where you are in your warranty coverage with Applecare+ though after the third replacement you're done. Apple drops you period. If that's out of the 1 year warranty period then your coverage is done with. This does not included defects or problems with the phone that aren't your fault.

Squaretrade also has similar coverage (you can also purchase after you have bought the phone for an increased fee). It's basically the same as Applecare+ but the difference is that Apple will take care of you direct. Squaretrade only reimburses you. You have to pay the cost upfront then submit your claim to Squaretrade.
Applecare+ can NOT be purchased on eBay. Only directly from Apple for $99.

I believe he is talking about Applecare (NOT +) which was still available on the 4 (before the S).

Applecare+ is superior if you live close enough to an Apple Store. They will cover almost anything, and it is a fast, painless process. You can even get a refund for what you don't use.

Squaretrade is fine, but it is a bit of a hassle with hoops to jump through.
itjw is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 2, 2012, 03:48 PM   #6
Dlcinnc
macrumors newbie

What is the difference between Aoplecare and Applecare+ for an iPhone 4?
Old Dec 2, 2012, 03:56 PM   #7
itjw
Banned

Quote:
What is the difference between Aoplecare and Applecare+ for an iPhone 4?
Applecare+ allows 2 replacements for $49. Applecare does not.

If you want to get an Applecare phone replaced if you damage it, it will cost $199. Unless it is a manufacturers defect (like a bad screen, home button, etc.). User damage is NOT covered by Applecare (not +).

Applecare+ does, but only twice, and for $49.

You have to buy AC+ directly from Apple. It is $99 and only available at purchase (or within 30 days, with inspection at an Apple Store).
itjw is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 2, 2012, 03:56 PM   #8
eyoungren
macrumors 603

Send a message via AIM to eyoungren Send a message via MSN to eyoungren Send a message via Yahoo to eyoungren Send a message via Skype™ to eyoungren
Coverage. AppleCare+ will cover accidental damage. AppleCare won't.

It's my understanding that Apple no longer offers AppleCare. It's simply AppleCare+ now, even for the iPhone 4. But I've been wrong many times before.
eyoungren is online now   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 3, 2012, 08:28 AM   #9
takeshi74
macrumors 601

Quote:
No need for another thread for "the latest info" -- nothing has changed. What's best is whatever suits your needs best. Compare the two and pick. It's not a one-size-fits-all matter.
takeshi74 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 3, 2012, 10:18 AM   #10
josh995
macrumors member

I just want to add... How old are your kids? I highly recommend getting something like an Otterbox Defender for both phones. If your kids are young, they're definitely going to be dropping them!

Just a friendly suggestion.
josh995 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 3, 2012, 11:33 AM   #11
Dlcinnc
macrumors newbie

Thanks! AppleCare+ it is and definitely Otterbox cases!!

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone