Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Myiphone7

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Nov 18, 2010
things in the cloud and we have pretty darn fast LTE speeds (even though I get only 6.5 Mbps avg).

I don't keep songs, videos, or more than a couple apps on my hard drive on the iPhone 5 because I don't watch videos or use most apps on a regular basis.

If I need, for example, Turbo Scan, I just download it in like 2 sec.

I think this is better because it keeps my iPhone 5 clean.

In the past this was hard because of 3G was too slow and no cloud

Myiphone7

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Nov 18, 2010
I like to keep music, video, and maps stored on the phone for use on subways, airplanes, and other cellular dead zones.

You are lucky you must live in a city. We don't have subways or anything. But ya I would too if I had to go into airplane mode often.

Serelus

macrumors 6502a
Aug 11, 2009
Vm9pZA
It's why i've been going for the 16GB model since the 4S.

I use spotify for music, and aside from that I only save photo's on there.

Everything else I manage with my iPad, like movies, series, pdf's and books.

And if I ever wanted to view one of those things I use my iPad for I always have dropbox.

Mrbobb

macrumors 603
Aug 27, 2012
That's music to Apple, ATT, Verizon, Sprint ears. You get to give them more$ for the Cloud.

sinsin07

macrumors 68040
Mar 28, 2009
things in the cloud and we have pretty darn fast LTE speeds (even though I get only 6.5 Mbps avg).

I don't keep songs, videos, or more than a couple apps on my hard drive on the iPhone 5 because I don't watch videos or use most apps on a regular basis.

If I need, for example, Turbo Scan, I just download it in like 2 sec.

I think this is better because it keeps my iPhone 5 clean.

In the past this was hard because of 3G was too slow and no cloud

I keep my iphone clean by wiping with a microfiber cloth. As far as storage, I use it, that's what its there for.

Mr.Grey

macrumors newbie
Aug 31, 2012
USA
Well not really. The more you put on a computer (the iPhone 5 is basically a computer) it slows down

No it doesn't. It really really doesn't. I may not necessarily max out my 64GBs but I notice zero performance degradation with even 50GBs used. It's pure nonsense.

617aircav

Suspended
Jul 2, 2012
Well not really. The more you put on a computer (the iPhone 5 is basically a computer) it slows down
It's not the more you put on your computer that slows it down, it's the more programs that you have running at the same time that will slow it down.

Myiphone7

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Nov 18, 2010
No it doesn't. It really really doesn't. I may not necessarily max out my 64GBs but I notice zero performance degradation with even 50GBs used. It's pure nonsense.

Well on most people it does I have a friend who said it does on his and it does it on mine

F123D

macrumors 68040
Sep 16, 2008
Del Mar, CA
Great idea. From now on, I'm going to download the app I need to use, and then delete it once I'm finished using it!

Mr Hill

macrumors 6502a
Apr 28, 2012
Charlotte, NC
Nope having more stuff on your iPhone doesn't slow it down at all. Back when I had a 16GB 4S there was zero performance difference between when it only had 200MB free and when it had 8GB free.

Marrakas

macrumors 6502
May 23, 2012
Keeping things in the cloud is definitely a viable option if you have an unlimited data plan, but not many does.
If you listen to music like 2 or 3 hours a day, the data usage will be pretty high, not to mention if you watch a movie or two.

As for now I prefer to keep my library on the phone (or in my case an ipad), but in the future this might change.

Serelus

macrumors 6502a
Aug 11, 2009
Vm9pZA
Well on most people it does I have a friend who said it does on his and it does it on mine

First of all, lets get one thing straight, iPhones do not use HDD's this is a form of storage used in Desktop/Servers exclusively. Instead mobile devices like an iPhone utilize a flash-based storage like Apple has been using for the past 5 years.

I think what you're experiencing is simple lack of hard drive maintenance. Filling up your hard drive with programs/applications is different from filling it up with music/videos.

If you fill a hard drive of 500 GB with just music alone it wouldn't slow down, your system just uses all the storage. But if you fill a hard drive with installed applications, containing 1000's of folders, altering registry settings and running seperate processes, then yeah it's going to get alot slower really fast.

iOS handles storage aswell as processes in a completely different way, it's impossible for you to decrease performance by simply filling up the storage.

Myiphone7

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Nov 18, 2010
First of all, lets get one thing straight, iPhones do not use HDD's this is a form of storage used in Desktop/Servers exclusively. Instead mobile devices like an iPhone utilize a flash-based storage like Apple has been using for the past 5 years.

I think what you're experiencing is simple lack of hard drive maintenance. Filling up your hard drive with programs/applications is different from filling it up with music/videos.

If you fill a hard drive of 500 GB with just music alone it wouldn't slow down, your system just uses all the storage. But if you fill a hard drive with installed applications, containing 1000's of folders, altering registry settings and running seperate processes, then yeah it's going to get alot slower really fast.

iOS handles storage aswell as processes in a completely different way, it's impossible for you to decrease performance by simply filling up the storage.

Is flash drive the same thing as SSD? I meant flash drive I know there couldn't be a spinning disk in there lol

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.