Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

nigameash

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Dec 6, 2008
Space: The Final Frontier
I own an iPad 2 and an iPhone 4S. I think the iPad 2's screen is not crisp enough for my liking and I find games and books to look pixelated compared to my iPhone. I'm considering buying an iPad mini but I want to know what your thoughts are on the matter. I also happen to own the Nexus 7 and don't like the screen on it too much either compared to my iPhone. I really like the size of the iPad mini and read several posts on how the screen on the iPad mini is actually better than the iPad 2.

MisterKeeks

macrumors 68000
Nov 15, 2012
The iPad 2 and Mini have the same screen resolution (1024 x 768). However, the Mini has a smaller screen, so it has a higher pixel density (closer to Retina). It wouldn't be at the level of the 5, but it would be better than the 2's display.

nigameash

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Dec 6, 2008
My main purposes for the iPad mini would be for reading books/news articles and playing games. I find the N7 is too small for reading books, though awfully convenient as it fits in my pant pockets. How do you find reading books on the iPad mini vs iPad 2?

kodeman53

macrumors 65816
May 4, 2012
My main purposes for the iPad mini would be for reading books/news articles and playing games. I find the N7 is too small for reading books, though awfully convenient as it fits in my pant pockets. How do you find reading books on the iPad mini vs iPad 2?

The Mini is fine for your uses.

Dlanod

macrumors 65816
Jul 11, 2008
UK
The screen on the Mini will not be as nice as the Nexus 7. I have had both and the Nexus 7 is ahead on screen for reading etc. And in my view its a better size for reading. Getting a Mini cellular delivered this week and have a few days to decide what to keep. The Nexus 7 3G or the Mini.

AppleRobert

macrumors 603
Nov 12, 2012
Just buy the Mini and try it on for size and clarity. Most retailers have a liberal return policy for the holidays.

For the web, you can use an alternate browser and increase the font size. Or use landscape or zoom on Safari.

Bokes

macrumors 6502
Mar 4, 2008

If you're not use to retina- it's not bad.
Games and videos look pretty good.
Unfortunately, it's basic reading- books and magazine- where it really fails compared to full size iPad or even the Kindle HD and Nook HD.
It doesn't do a great job with small fine letters.

The nook HD is an excellent e-reader that can do a few extra things.

But like I said- if you haven't been spoiled by the retina- you will be fine.

nigameash

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Dec 6, 2008
I have been spoiled by the retina :( I like the mini for the size but the retina seems to be a deal-breaker for me. But I don't know if I can wait 11 months for a new Mini with the retina.

iSensei

macrumors regular
Nov 25, 2012
I have been spoiled by the retina :( I like the mini for the size but the retina seems to be a deal-breaker for me. But I don't know if I can wait 11 months for a new Mini with the retina.

There is no "retina"...it's just a very high resolution display...:rolleyes:

cardfan

macrumors 601
Mar 23, 2012
Text is fuzzy like your trying to focus on something but it doesn't quite render sharply. Think of a bigger iphone 3G. Not quite as bad but pretty close.

If the ipad 2 isn't to your liking, then the Mini won't be either.

xraydoc

Contributor
Oct 9, 2005
I have an iPhone 5 and an iPad 3, and the screen on the mini doesn't bother me at all. Yes, I can see it's inferior, but it's still quite usable.

ercsliberty

macrumors 6502
May 15, 2011
The screen on the Mini will not be as nice as the Nexus 7. I have had both and the Nexus 7 is ahead on screen for reading etc. And in my view its a better size for reading. Getting a Mini cellular delivered this week and have a few days to decide what to keep. The Nexus 7 3G or the Mini.

tried the nexus 7, it lags when playing netflix and hbogo. the mini doesnt

EMAN19

macrumors 6502
Sep 19, 2012
New York, NY
I like the screen on the iPad mini a lot. It's not as bad as people are making it out to be. Those people are just upset because Apple didn't use retina on it. From a 1-10, I give it a 7.5.

stevo8

macrumors 6502
Jul 3, 2007
The screen issues are way over blown. Compared to a standard size paperback book the text is more clear then the muddied up off white that most books display. You just cant compare it to a retina screen is all..

The mini is a girl thats a 7 in the looks department, but cooks, cleans, and your friends like her to be around. The full size is a 9 in the looks dept but has an attitude.. Looks great but hard to live with.

ghsDUDE

macrumors 68030
May 25, 2010
It's bad! (If you use ANY Retina device from Apple)

I couldn't tell it was bad at first...but going back and forth between my iPhone 5 and the Mini my eyes could definitely tell.

I exchanged it for an iPad 4.

comper

macrumors regular
Feb 27, 2011
Michigan
The screen issues are way over blown. Compared to a standard size paperback book the text is more clear then the muddied up off white that most books display. You just cant compare it to a retina screen is all..

The mini is a girl thats a 7 in the looks department, but cooks, cleans, and your friends like her to be around. The full size is a 9 in the looks dept but has an attitude.. Looks great but hard to live with.

You should get your eyes checked if you really believe that the mini displays text better than a real, printed book.

iapplelove

Suspended
Nov 22, 2011
East Coast USA
I like the screen on the iPad mini a lot. It's not as bad as people are making it out to be. Those people are just upset because Apple didn't use retina on it. From a 1-10, I give it a 7.5.

Giving the iPad mini a 7.5 out of 10 is insane. That is if 10 is a retina.

OP you won't like it if you don't think the iPad 2 is adequit. In fact I think it looks a tad worse than the iPad 2 for some reason

S

syd430

the Mini has a smaller screen, so it has a higher pixel density (closer to Retina). It wouldn't be at the level of the 5, but it would be better than the 2's display.

That's not how it works.

Higher PPI+smaller screen =/= automatically better.

Would a 1" ipad with a 6000 PPI be better to read?

Last edited by a moderator:

Judas1

macrumors 6502a
Aug 4, 2011
That's not how it works.

Higher PPI+smaller screen =/= automatically better.

Would a 1" ipad with a 6000 PPI be better to read?

Actually that's exactly how it works. Higher ppi means a sharper clearer picture. Of course after a certain point higher ppi is just pointless because of the limits of your eyes. The mini is nowhere near that limit, so you can still appreciate the extra clarity. But if texts are too small, it strains the eyes. That mainly the problem with the mini.

EMAN19

macrumors 6502
Sep 19, 2012
New York, NY
Giving the iPad mini a 7.5 out of 10 is insane. That is if 10 is a retina.

OP you won't like it if you don't think the iPad 2 is adequit. In fact I think it looks a tad worse than the iPad 2 for some reason

Why is it insane? I think it's a pretty good screen.

S

syd430

Actually that's exactly how it works. Higher ppi means a sharper clearer picture.

It wouldn't be at the level of the 5, but it would be better than the 2's display.

When did I say a higher PPI doesn't result in a sharper picture?

My extreme example was given to illustrate that MisterKeeks blanket statement that a higher PPI is always better is false.

The threshold you are are talking about with a 1" screen refers to the point where you can't make out anything on the screen at all.

At 7.9" I am obviously not saying that you can't make out anything on the screen.

I am saying that with the current font rendering of iOS, the 9.7" screen with lower PPI is more optimal in terms of ease of readability than 7.9" at a higher PPI.

Again it has to do with the way iOS renders fonts, which were not scaled correctly when they crammed the same 9.7" OS in to a smaller form factor.

Please don't discuss issues that you have little knowledge about.

I'm sure you will get a few up votes anyway because BS that sounds correct on MacRumors always wins out to more accurate, boring sounding statements ;)

----------

In fact I think it looks a tad worse than the iPad 2 for some reason

My post above explains why this occurs.

Last edited by a moderator:

davideotape

macrumors 6502a
Nov 16, 2012
Is it naive to think the font issue will be fixed in an update?

Regardless I'm currently on my ipad 4 and yes it looks much better. But the mini will go with me everywhere and this things gonna be my ipad tuxedo and only leave the house for special occasions.

I was slightly jarred by the screen when I first picked the thing up but within an hour I got over it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.