Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ShawnfromLA

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 2, 2012
Hello,
I have a pair of Bowers and Wilkins MM1 speakers on a shelf in my bedroom, however in order to listen to them with my iTunes library, my Mac needs to be plugged into them.

Has anyone used an AirPort Express to wirelessly stream music to speakers? I'd like to be able to have my mac on my lap on the couch and still get to listen to music (without having to have my computer in the bedroom). I'm also curious as to whether the sound gets degraded due to having to use an auxiliary cord instead of USB (which is what I use now).

Thanks!

Last edited:

waw74

macrumors 601
May 27, 2008
sound is transmitted in apple lossless, so the sound coming out will be the same as the computer.

also for this purpose, the older style will work just as well, and available for $69 in the refurb store.

also, a couple notes.
- you'll want the express to join your existing network (not extend).

- for initial setup, connect an ethernet cord from your laptop to the express. once you get it working, then you can disconnect. you can do it wirelessly, but wired makes it a bit more foolproof.

steve knight

macrumors 68030
Jan 28, 2009
works great we have two of them one on each stereo. you can use your make or remote on your iphone or stream from slacker or such to the express. sounds is great and it works very well. I would have bought the apple tv to do this but it only has a digital out.

sjhwilkes

macrumors newbie
Sep 7, 2011
That's the exact setup I have, Airport Express tucked away, running a pair of MM-1's. I got a couple of the 1M extensions too, so the MM-1s could be a decent distance apart with discreet cable routing.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.