Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

crylic

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 3, 2012
After going through the majority of the itunes 11 threads I think I have an original issue here. So having downloaded the update and having it be in the default mode of showing all the album art, I noticed that some albums had been split up.

An example of this is the band, Blur's live album, All the People, it will take the entirety of the album minus 2 songs and list it as one album and then take those missing 2 songs and create a separate album.

These albums have no differences that I can discern, I've updated all the info and metadata for each song to make sure there are no differences and I still have the problem. This is being done to several albums in my itunes and can't seem to fix it.

I'm no stranger to itunes but i've always used just the regular song list view as opposed to any of the fancier views on offer, now with this new view as default i'd love to use it but cannot because i'll never be able to listen to some of my favorite albums in intended song order because of this odd split. I am back to using song list view as it's the only way the songs appear in the proper order.

Any help or suggestions would be great!

From A Buick 8

macrumors 68040
Sep 16, 2010
Ky Close to CinCinnati
I found some of mine like that, I had to make sure the album artist was the same for each song and also had to mark all of the songs as part of a compilation.

On a slightly separate question how do most folks handle albums with multiple CD's do you just add CD1, CD2 etc... To the album name?

adnbek

macrumors 68000
Oct 22, 2011
Montreal, Quebec
I don't know what causes the issue but I've found a fix. Simply rename the albums, click ok, then go back and rename to their original name and the duplicate albums get combined into one.

DavoteK

macrumors 6502
Jan 5, 2012
After going through the majority of the itunes 11 threads I think I have an original issue here. So having downloaded the update and having it be in the default mode of showing all the album art, I noticed that some albums had been split up.

An example of this is the band, Blur's live album, All the People, it will take the entirety of the album minus 2 songs and list it as one album and then take those missing 2 songs and create a separate album.

These albums have no differences that I can discern, I've updated all the info and metadata for each song to make sure there are no differences and I still have the problem. This is being done to several albums in my itunes and can't seem to fix it.

I'm no stranger to itunes but i've always used just the regular song list view as opposed to any of the fancier views on offer, now with this new view as default i'd love to use it but cannot because i'll never be able to listen to some of my favorite albums in intended song order because of this odd split. I am back to using song list view as it's the only way the songs appear in the proper order.

Any help or suggestions would be great!

Had this issue, normally track 1.

Highlight all tracks from the album. Get Info. If there isn't "Album Artist" info, add it, same as the Artist normally and it should be sorted. If you have Album Artist info, remove it, normally works, or then re-add it.

Been having this problem for a couple of years on and off, always sorts it.

On a slightly separate question how do most folks handle albums with multiple CD's do you just add CD1, CD2 etc... To the album name?

When you edit the info, add disc number of disc number to the info. Add the column to your display in list format and you'll be able to see what is called what.

So, if you are editing CD1 of a 2 CD album, highlight all tracks, get info, put 1 of 2 and edit the album title to remove "CD1" or "Disc 1" from title, then do the same with CD2 but make that 2 of 2.

It then looks as one album, but in track order per disc.

crylic

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 3, 2012
Awesome guys, this was the answer to my issue. Thanks a ton!

From A Buick 8

macrumors 68040
Sep 16, 2010
Ky Close to CinCinnati
When you edit the info, add disc number of disc number to the info. Add the column to your display in list format and you'll be able to see what is called what.

So, if you are editing CD1 of a 2 CD album, highlight all tracks, get info, put 1 of 2 and edit the album title to remove "CD1" or "Disc 1" from title, then do the same with CD2 but make that 2 of 2.

It then looks as one album, but in track order per disc.

Thanks i will use this.

cstiebling

macrumors newbie
Apr 5, 2013
Genius

What I don't understand is if Itunes and Apple are so revolutionary, why can't they figure out how to group things based on similar names. It's the only music application that can't! That causes people to work after the fact. If I download music into any other application it doesn't separate them... Genius!

mattg3

macrumors 6502
Dec 8, 2010
ma.
I have been combining cds for years on itunes and when a boxed set exists or has two discs I would always combine them into one big disc.Yes changing names of cds to one common name and combining and then changing back to original name is way to go.
This is exactly why i wont risk upgrading to itunes 11.I sure as hell do not want to find my combined cds broken up into small cds and face a monstrous task of getting them back together.Itunes 10.whatever is fine with me.

pslawing

macrumors newbie
Oct 16, 2005
North Carolina
I just selected the songs I want in one album and put the same data in the field "album artist" That fixed it! So each song can have a different artist, but the album has to be the same. FINALLY!

wassupman8

macrumors newbie
May 21, 2013
Answer!!!

I've found the answer to it!
1. highlight all songs you would like in one album
2. go to Get Info or command i
3. Where it says album artist just put a space there (or you could put the artist the the general album.). If there is something already there delete it and just put a space ( or the original artist)
4. You will find that all those songs to be in one album!

Hope this helped

mattg3

macrumors 6502
Dec 8, 2010
ma.
You could just change the name of the two cds you want combined into one cd.After you change the name and they combine just change name back again of the combined cd.

LaPalomita

macrumors newbie
May 26, 2013
Easier trick

Highlight all albums that you want to merge in to one. Then go to "get info",skip over to "options", and where it says "part of a compilation' click "yes". This will merge all the albums splits together without having to do it song by song. Make sure you are highlighting the original album too when you do this or it won't work. :eek:

DTinHI

macrumors newbie
Aug 24, 2013
Change the view!

I was going nuts with this. Did all the advice - grabbing all songs, getting info by selecting multiple songs, changing artist, album artist, blah blah. Nothing worked until I did this:

In music view, I clicked on Album by Artist at the top. Bingo - it moved everything where it belonged. So it wasn't really splitting them, it was just showing them split when viewing by song name.

Doh!

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
iTunes uses 4 fields to determine which albums sort together:
  • Album
  • Album Artist
  • Sort Album
  • Sort Album Artist
As long as all tracks have matching information in those tags, the album will sort together. So for albums with various artists, put the individual artist name in the Artist field, and put "Various Artists" in the Album Artist and Sort Album Artist fields. The album will sort together. If it doesn't work initially, remove the album from your library and re-add it.

DavidFerrington

macrumors newbie
May 18, 2012
I don't know what causes the issue but I've found a fix. Simply rename the albums, click ok, then go back and rename to their original name and the duplicate albums get combined into one.

Having had this today ripping many CD's, I found that even if they had same album name and compilation ticked, it would still spilt some - however, just untick compilation, let it split every track and then select them all and tick compilation again and they all become one.

Thank you to adnbek for original fix.

Partron22

macrumors 68030
Apr 13, 2011
Yes
Occasionally you have to actually drag the album tracks out of iTunes, into a temporary folder. Then delete the tracks from iTunes. Then drag the tracks back into iTunes in order to get everything to come up as a single album. This is only worthwhile after running all the tricks mentioned above.

I think it's mostly needed after you have to correct a misspelled artist name in a few tracks. iTunes seems to not always update folder structure correctly. EG it's Handel, George Frideric, not Handel, George Frederic.
Even Apple spells the names wrong sometimes.

rhett7660

macrumors G5
Jan 9, 2008
Sunny, Southern California
I found some of mine like that, I had to make sure the album artist was the same for each song and also had to mark all of the songs as part of a compilation.

I use the following:

Album [Disc 1]
Album [Disc 2]
Album [Disc 3]

On top of doing the disc 1 of 3, disc 2 of 3 etc. This is just how I have been doing it.

Reactions: Partron22

Partron22

macrumors 68030
Apr 13, 2011
Yes
The Disc Number field works nicely to keep things together as a single album.
Just put the disc number in the first box, and the number of CD's in the second.
Using different album names:
Album [Disc 1]
Album [Disc 2]
Album [Disc 3]
Defeats that function.
Sometimes you may want one behavior, sometimes the other.

Last edited:

rhett7660

macrumors G5
Jan 9, 2008
Sunny, Southern California
The Disc Number field works nicely to keep things together as a single album.
Just put the disc number in the first box, and the number of CD's in the second.
Using different album names:
Album [Disc 1]
Album [Disc 2]
Album [Disc 3]
Defeats that function.
Sometimes you may want one behavior, sometimes the other.

I like seeing which disc at a glance I am playing. Again this is something I have been doing and I like it. May not fit for everyone, but it does for me. I also use the disc numbering, but I like putting the disc number in the title also.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.