Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone

Old Dec 2, 2012, 03:27 AM   #1
appkingpin
macrumors newbie

Activating Verizon iPhone5

Went into my local Apple Store last night and they had a Verizon iPhone 5 in stock. So I got it for full retail so that I do not need to upgrade my Verizon contract (wanted to keep my unlimited data).

My question is, how do I activate the iPhone 5 on my line? Is there anything special I need to do? Anyone did something similar like me to keep their unlimited data?
appkingpin is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 2, 2012, 08:59 AM   #2
xlost6
macrumors 6502

Just turn your iPhone on. It should already be activated.
xlost6 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 2, 2012, 09:05 AM   #3
serkan
macrumors regular

The verizon models are factory unlocked already you just insert a nano-sim and use it.Only the att models are locked but they can be unlocked via itunes store and att.
serkan is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 2, 2012, 09:06 AM   #4
nascars321
macrumors newbie

If you have access to your verizon account online you can activate it there. You need the sim and meid number from the box. I did it this way sand was activated in minutes.
nascars321 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 2, 2012, 09:15 AM   #5
xlost6
macrumors 6502

If he or she bought the Verizon phone outright and has a plan already with Verizon. He or she should of signed an agreement when they were checking out with the purchase. That's what I did. As soon as I left the store and checked my Verizon account. It was updated with the iPhone 5 information and all I had to do was turn the iPhone 5 on and I was good. I'm assuming he/she bought the Verizon iPhone 5 and not an newly unlocked iPhone 5.
xlost6 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 2, 2012, 02:56 PM   #6
appkingpin
macrumors newbie

Hi, I did buy the Verizon phone outright and have a plan already with Verizon.

They never asked me for my Verizon phone number at the Apple store, all I had to do was sign that I was getting a Verizon phone and pay.

I will just try activating on the Verizon Wireless site via Switching an Active device. But will the sim card be automatically activated?
Old Dec 2, 2012, 09:35 PM   #7
appkingpin
macrumors newbie

I tried switching my device to the iPhone 5 tonight and when I was prompted to enter in the SIM card ID, I got this message:

"The SIM associated with the Id you entered is not compatible with the Device you want to activate, Please contact Customer Service at 800-922-0204 for assistance."

I entered in the ICCID from the box.
Old Dec 2, 2012, 09:37 PM   #8
aznguyen316
macrumors 68010

Quote:
Originally Posted by appkingpin View Post
I tried switching my device to the iPhone 5 tonight and when I was prompted to enter in the SIM card ID, I got this message:

"The SIM associated with the Id you entered is not compatible with the Device you want to activate, Please contact Customer Service at 800-922-0204 for assistance."

I entered in the ICCID from the box.
This exact thing happened to me. You will have to go to a local corporate Verizon store ask just simply ask for a nano sim card. They will set you up in store. To me about 10-15 minutes, the guy was very nice. He added it to my account, made it a no contract addition (kept my unlimited data etc) and activated a new nano sim and added it to my phone.

The nano sim that was in it was previously tied to the number I used to get the upgrade from, so I'm not sure why yours is already "burned in" to another number. Whatever the case you just need a new sim.
Old Dec 2, 2012, 09:47 PM   #9
dontwalkhand
macrumors 68040

Send a message via AIM to dontwalkhand
My friend solved this by asking for another SIM card. Damn hybrid CDMA/GSM networks ;-)
dontwalkhand is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 2, 2012, 10:04 PM   #10
appkingpin
macrumors newbie

Thanks guys aznguyen316 and dontwalkhand

Guess, I will have to go to a Verizon store... what a pain.

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone