Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MojoRisinSD

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 1, 2012
I did a little shopping on Steam last weekend and got myself set up for when my iMac with 680MX arrives.

Here is what I got:

Portal
Portal 2
Left 4 Dead
Left 4 Dead 2
The Witcher
The Witcher 2
Bastion

All of that for $27.50... not too shabby!

obsoletepower

macrumors regular
Dec 14, 2006
Toronto, Canada
I did a little shopping on Steam last weekend and got myself set up for when my iMac with 680MX arrives.

Here is what I got:

Portal
Portal 2
Left 4 Dead
Left 4 Dead 2
The Witcher
The Witcher 2
Bastion

All of that for $27.50... not too shabby!

None of those games are terribly demanding. Your 680MX is going to laugh at you and light a cigar :) You're going to have to throw better games at that GPU my friend.

luminouslight

macrumors 6502
Nov 29, 2012
Orlando FL
Not demanding? The witcher 2 is one of the most gpu intensive games out currently. Not even my gaming pc can run it on ultra settings with ubersampling on.

The other games you should be able to max out easily though.

obsoletepower

macrumors regular
Dec 14, 2006
Toronto, Canada
Not demanding? The witcher 2 is one of the most gpu intensive games out currently. Not even my gaming pc can run it on ultra settings with ubersampling on.

The other games you should be able to max out easily though.

I can run Witcher 2 at max settings and get consistent 30 fps with my PC running 8GB DDR2 ram with Core 2 Quad Q9550 and AMd Radeon HD 6950. I don't have ubersampling, motion blur and SSAO on though.

You are right though, The Witcher 2 is pretty demanding. My mistake.

Last edited:

luminouslight

macrumors 6502
Nov 29, 2012
Orlando FL
I can run Witcher 2 at max settings and get consistent 30 fps with my PC running 8GB DDR2 ram with Core 2 Quad Q9550 and AMd Radeon HD 6950. I don't have ubersampling, motion blur and SSAO on though.

Well I'm curious to see how the 680mx would perform on that game. It's certainly one of the prettiest and best rpg games to come out in a while. I think the OP got a hell of a deal on all those games, steam ftw!

Jay9495

macrumors regular
Jul 11, 2011
Melbourne Australia
Far cry 3
Far cry 3
Far cry 3
Skyrim
Fallout 3/New Vegas
Far cry 3
Battlefield 3
Portal 2
Far cry 3
Crysis 2

Ps. Unfortunately I believe the gtx 680mx will not be able to play Far cry 3 at its fullest, ubisoft said for high performance you need a gtx 680 desktop, so imagine trying to play with a 680mx at 1440p

sucramdi

macrumors member
Jan 17, 2011
Quebec
None of those games are terribly demanding. Your 680MX is going to laugh at you and light a cigar :) You're going to have to throw better games at that GPU my friend.

Would the GTX660 handle most of those? I bought the low end 27" but I'm having second thoughts because of the GPU

boto

macrumors 6502
Jun 4, 2012
I haven't gamed on the Windows side for a long while since I sold the previous gen iMac earlier in the summer, so I'm really looking forward to play all the latest games I have in store for this beastly machine!

Several games I already own or plan to purchase this Winter Steam sale:

Battlefield 3
Borderlands 2 (Mac version is not compatible with Windows version for online)
Assassin's Creed 3
Dishonored
Far Cry 3
Left 4 Dead 2 and many many other games I purchased this summer sale and last year...

obsoletepower

macrumors regular
Dec 14, 2006
Toronto, Canada
Would the GTX660 handle most of those? I bought the low end 27" but I'm having second thoughts because of the GPU

It will handle all those games just fine with the exception of The Witcher 2 which you will not be able to smoothly play at max settings but then again, nobody can as of now.

Trojans

macrumors member
Sep 11, 2012
I ordered i7 3.4 and 680mx. I'm planning use this imac for YouTube and web browsing :D

eagandale4114

macrumors 65816
May 20, 2011

No way will it be able to handle Cryengine games (Crysis series and Far Cry series). Battlefeild 3 will also be hard to play at max.

iMcLovin

macrumors 68000
Feb 11, 2009
I´ve held of playing Diablo3 & Dota 2 for the arrival of the 680mx 27" imac. I also plant on buying Starcraft 2 Heart of the Swarm. And of course its the daily League of Legend battle but that doesn´t really require that much of my computer...

Scrapula

macrumors 6502
May 1, 2012
Seattle, WA
I was playing Diablo 3 on my Mac Mini but stopped. It is the only game waiting for me on my new iMac. I would like to play more but - I am not going to run bootcamp. I have it now and do not use it. What games run natively on the Mac?

MightyWhite

macrumors member
Feb 29, 2012
Oxford UK
I got portal and a few others ready in the steam sale...

I am new to gaming on a pc... Do you guys use mouse and keyboard or a game pad?

I was going to try and get a PS3 pad working...

lucasfunkt

macrumors 6502
Jun 11, 2012
I wonder how long this graphics card will be able to play the newest games at their highest settings.

There will be a new Xbox and Playstation in a year or 2, so a whole new batch of games with higher graphical requirements, will this graphics card still be able to compete and play the new games two years from now?

pukingpixels

macrumors member
Nov 8, 2012
Sweden
I've made myself a promise to stop procrastinating by gaming too much when I get the new 27".

Luckily I get bored of most games very fast so I'll probably try a lot games but only play them for a few hours and never touch them again.

Starcraft 2 on the other hand... f u c k.

sucramdi

macrumors member
Jan 17, 2011
Quebec
No way will it be able to handle Cryengine games (Crysis series and Far Cry series). Battlefeild 3 will also be hard to play at max.

I'd be playing things like half life, portal 1 and 2 and the sims 3. I think the GTX660 should handle it fine, my old ATI Radeon 4850 did.

skyenet

macrumors regular
Jun 26, 2012
Near Glasgow - Scotland
X-Plane 10

I reckon that is one of the most demanding games around so will be interesting to see how the 680MX faces up to the challenge. Coupled with a 3.4GHz Quad-core Intel Core i7, 3Tb Fusion drive and 32GB Ram.

A quote I found on Xplane forums made as recent as yesterday, hope I get somewhere near maxed out :)

"There is no system on the planet that can run the sim with everything maxed out everywhere in the world without it being a slideshow at times"

forty2j

macrumors 68030
Jul 11, 2008
NJ
Currently I have unplayed or underplayed:
- Civ V
- Diablo III
- StarCraft II

StarCraft literally* made my old iMac cry; the other two just looked like poo. None of them should seriously stress the 680MX, but I'll be ready to run something else at High settings in 2015 or so.

*not literally

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.