Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

imjoee

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 12, 2012
What's the minimum age to work at apple retail on the east coast on the United States?

Beeplance

macrumors 68000
Jul 29, 2012
What's the minimum age to work at apple retail on the east coast on the United States?

Someone interested to work in an Apple store? The thought is kinda of interesting I guess, working in a store with iPads, iPods and iPhones all around you.

guitarmandp

macrumors 6502
Sep 21, 2012
I heard from somebody that used to work there that they do a very strict background check including reviewing high school & college transcripts and looking at your credit and yet they only pay minimum wage.

I know there is a high turnover at that place.

Mlrollin91

macrumors G5
Nov 20, 2008
Its 18 unless you close with management at a specific location. I was good friends with a manager and he wanted to hire me but I couldn't get myself to do it. Make much more serving, plus shifts are shorter, which makes my schedule more flexible for classes.

laudern

macrumors 6502a
Jan 5, 2011
I wouldn't class anything in customer service as a 'good job'..But then again I'm a teacher and I'm use to telling people what I think of them, not the other way round lol.

SAD*FACED*CLOWN

macrumors 65816
Apr 5, 2010
Houston, TX
I heard from somebody that used to work there that they do a very strict background check including reviewing high school & college transcripts and looking at your credit and yet they only pay minimum wage.

Not true...as far as I know Apple does not ask for transcripts and they won't request them as a part of your background check which is mostly to search criminal records

Defender2010

Cancelled
Jun 6, 2010
And what's your idea of "a good job"?

Umm...where do I start? One that pays well for the amount of work one does?, one where you don't have to deal with idiot customers all day?, one where you get treated fairly and have ample breaks, one where you get some reward for selling up to £30,000 of goods for the company every week?, one where people don't think it's cool to wear over sized colourful trainers just so you stand out...should I go on? No, I don't think I need to...

bigjobby

macrumors 65816
Apr 7, 2010
London, UK
Umm...where do I start? One that pays well for the amount of work one does?, one where you don't have to deal with idiot customers all day?, one where you get treated fairly and have ample breaks, one where you get some reward for selling up to £30,000 of goods for the company every week?, one where people don't think it's cool to wear over sized colourful trainers just so you stand out...should I go on? No, I don't think I need to...

Take it easy, a jobs a job regardless of what it is. Its better to have one, no matter what, than being a parasite and milking the system. Kudos to the OP for taking the initiative and investigating avenues for employment, especially as the teenage job market is incredibly challenging.

Good luck to the OP (or whoever they're posing the question for).

takeshi74

macrumors 601
Feb 9, 2011
Do yourself a favour and don't apply. It's not a good job. Period!
Do others a favor and don't assume that your preferences are universal. I wouldn't call any retail job "good" but if someone's looking for something in retail then it really doesn't matter what you, I or others consider to be good.

Squilly

macrumors 68020
Nov 17, 2012
PA

Christ, didn't know they paid minimum wage. You'd think they'd be less "cheap" than that. No wonder they have so many employees in one store. God damn.

AlphaHumanus

macrumors 6502a
Feb 12, 2012
OP: 18

I'm kind of torn here. I feel as though I'd expect more of Apple, even just for the base customer relations jobs. But I want to work there. I want that blue shirt and name-tag. To be able to say that I AM apple. I met a Genius once at a party, I was so jealous. NOTHING beats when 8-9 people in a circle are shooting the **** and someone answers "what do you do?" with "I'm a genius."

*Sigh*

I'm blue collar(retail) as it is, so the work wouldn't be a "chore" for me in the least.

roadbloc

macrumors G3
Aug 24, 2009
UK

Many people cannot afford to be so fussy with their jobs, especially in this economic climate. I'd rather have a job than no job at all.

snberk103

macrumors 603
Oct 22, 2007
An Island in the Salish Sea
Umm...where do I start? One that pays well for the amount of work one does?,... No, I don't think I need to...
I suspect that this is a first job, in which case any job is a good job. You need work experience to get better jobs. Entry level jobs are, by definition, crap jobs.
Take it easy, a jobs a job regardless of what it is. ...
Good luck to the OP (or whoever they're posing the question for).
Yes. Since the question about minimum age, I am assuming that the job seeker does not have much job experience. I started at McDonalds. Didn't stay there, but the experiences I gained I used for a long time.
Many people cannot afford to be so fussy with their jobs, especially in this economic climate. I'd rather have a job than no job at all.
Yep. One job leads to another.

SiriDV

macrumors newbie
Jan 13, 2012
I'm 17 and working at my local Apple Store. Yesterday was actually my first day on the floor. I absolutely love it.

Edit: I'm also on the east coast.

Last edited:

flameproof

macrumors 6502a
Jan 14, 2011

I don't know in the USA, but the minimum age to work in one of the China factories will be 8.

For dangerous jobs such as coal mining it will be 10.

AngryGerbil

macrumors 6502a
Aug 26, 2012
Christ, didn't know they paid minimum wage. You'd think they'd be less "cheap" than that. No wonder they have so many employees in one store. God damn.

I work as an "At Home Adviser" and I was under the impression that everyone working in retail stores starts at $14 per hour (all of them recently got a raise). But we have a few ex-ARS on our team and you could not pay me enough to work in a store... sheer madness. It's bad enough dealing with consumers on the phone.. much less in person.

snberk103

macrumors 603
Oct 22, 2007
An Island in the Salish Sea
That's absurd, so you basically get minimum wage and that's it? Kinda glad I don't have an Apple Store near me to apply to for jobs now.

I'm pretty sure US Apple Store employees got a raise this year.... too much turnover. In minimum wage states this means that they will be over the minimum. In right to work states, this means they may still be below the national average, depending on where they started from.

Zutten

macrumors newbie
Dec 7, 2012
That's absurd, so you basically get minimum wage and that's it? Kinda glad I don't have an Apple Store near me to apply to for jobs now.

I can only speak for myself. I get what is compared to 20 USD/hour and the double on weekends. 40 USD. At least I strongly disagree with the minimum wage bit. It's an awesome job, great pay.

But then again - if it weren't for the union i probably would have gotten minimum wage too.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.